unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 88, Issue 1
       [not found] <mailman.2015.1601548807.2317.guix-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2020-10-01 13:36 ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2020-10-01 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 11:07:41 +0200
> From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org>
> To: guix-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: How to build Guix to send a patch when Guix build fails?
>
> Hi,
Hello

> I'd like to send a patch to add a bootloader (u-boot) package for a
> single board computer. The patch is trivial and it's already
> ready.
>
> However before sending the patch, I'm supposed to build it within Guix
> source code and to test it.
>
> I've been trying many variations of 'guix environment --pure guix
> --ad-hoc <many packages>' during many many hours, but I still didn't
> manage to build Guix. I always have the failure that is in the
> build.log that I attached.
>
> I've the patch I attached on top of the following commit:
>> 51eb3e113c gnu: linux-libre 4.19: Update to 4.19.148.
> And I did the following commands last night when trying to build Guix:
>> $ guix pull
>> $ guix package -u
> I did it with the following hardware and distributions configurations:
> - Architecture: i686
> - Host distribution: Parabola i686 with a x86_64 kernel (5.7.2-gnu-1-64)
> - Guix architecture: i686
>
> Is there a command that is known to work to build Guix in a way that
> doesn't use any of the host packages?

Are you following the directions in the manual?

cd /path/to/local/guix/repository/with/changes
guix environment guix

(within the environment)

./bootstrap
#unfortunately the next critical line is not in the manual
./configure --localstatedir=/var
make
./pre-inst-env guix build <package-name>

> I also tried on another machine with the following configuration:
> - Architecture: x86-64
> - Host distribution: Parabola x86_64 without guile-json installed
> - Guix architecture: x86_64
> - Guix environment command: 'guix environment --pure guix --ad-hoc
>    guile-json
>
> And it wouldn't pick Guix's guile-json, so I assume that for some
> reason it tried to use the host's packages somehow.

In that environment, check the value of $GUILE_LOAD_PATH.

I'm trying it, and I see it is empty. That can't be right...

> As I was told on IRC, building Guix from Guix latest revision is
> supposed to work. However if during the build it really uses
> packages from my host distribution (Parabola), then there might be some
> combination of packages that makes it fail, so here I hope that with
> the right guix environment command it would build.
>
> Denis.
-Jesse

* Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 88, Issue 1
@ 2020-10-01 14:01   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 15:37, Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> wrote:

> ./bootstrap
> #unfortunately the next critical line is not in the manual
> ./configure --localstatedir=/var

It is in the manual, see:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Requirements
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git

Well, since it is a common mistake, what could be improved?

All the best,
simon

* Re: How to build Guix to send a patch when Guix build fails?
@ 2020-10-01 14:53     ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2020-10-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

On 10/1/20 8:01 AM, zimoun wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 15:37, Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ./bootstrap
>> #unfortunately the next critical line is not in the manual
>> ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> It is in the manual, see:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Requirements
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git
>
> Well, since it is a common mistake, what could be improved?
>
> All the best,
> simon
My mistake. I keep forgetting to double-check the manual hasn't been
changed since I last consulted it. I also forgot to change the subject,
and swapped the to and cc headers. I guess today isn't my day...