unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Submitting a package on another's behalf
@ 2020-04-20 13:14 Steven vanZyl
From: Steven vanZyl @ 2020-04-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

I would like to submit a package to Guix that someone I know wrote.
They do not wish to submit it themselves, and have given me explicit
permission to do so on their behalf.

I was wondering if there were any special considerations to be made? I
have added both their and my names to the copyright of the file in
question, and I was going to mark them as Co-author on the Git commit.
Is there anything else I should do?

--
Thank You,
Steven vanZyl

* Re: Submitting a package on another's behalf
@ 2020-04-20 14:39 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-04-20 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Steven vanZyl

Le 20 avril 2020 09:14:54 GMT-04:00, Steven vanZyl <rushsteve1@rushsteve1.us> a écrit :
>Hello!
>
>I would like to submit a package to Guix that someone I know wrote.
>They do not wish to submit it themselves, and have given me explicit
>permission to do so on their behalf.
>
>I was wondering if there were any special considerations to be made? I
>have added both their and my names to the copyright of the file in
>question, and I was going to mark them as Co-author on the Git commit.
>Is there anything else I should do?

Not sure if we have guidelines, but here's what I think:

If you didn't take part in creating the patch, do not add yourself to the copyright or as the author of the git commit. If you participated in the content of it, and the other is the main author, have them be the author of the git commit and add yourself as co-author. Add a line for both of you in that case. If you are the main author and the other person helped you, you did the right thing.

Ianal, but I think, if you publish someone else's work, you don't own any copyright on it. You cannot say you are the author of something you didn't create, and that's also why you had to ask for permission before sending us the patch :)

* Re: Submitting a package on another's behalf
@ 2020-04-20 15:35   ` Steven vanZyl
From: Steven vanZyl @ 2020-04-20 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Thank you for your advice! I did make some minor modifications to the
package, but since I am not the primary author I will take your
suggestion and make my friend the Git author and mark myself as the
Co-author.