unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Deploying experimental versions of Guix
@ 2023-05-02 13:44 Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-05-02 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi,

I'd like to test changes to (gnu system pam). How may I configure my
system, preferably using "deploy," please, while also pulling from my
custom channels?

I briefly considered shipping a customized (gnu system pam) under a
different name in my own channel, but the module is being consumed in
too many places. Ideally, I would somehow shadow the official (gnu
system pam). Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Deploying experimental versions of Guix
@ 2023-05-03 19:20 ` david larsson
From: david larsson @ 2023-05-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: Guix Devel, guix-devel-bounces+david.larsson=selfhosted.xyz

On 2023-05-02 15:44, Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the
GNU System distribution." wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to test changes to (gnu system pam). How may I configure my
> system, preferably using "deploy," please, while also pulling from my
> custom channels?

Hi Felix,

I think creating a custom profile with a channels file containing a
'guix channel pointing to your modified guix version, and more custom
channels as you wish (add to the same list), should solve it:

#+begin_src bash
guix pull -C custom-channels.scm --profile=/tmp/myguix-and-channels
--disable-authentication
#+end_src

See:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Using-a-Custom-Guix-Channel.html

You can then source the profile, and after that either reconfigure your
system as normal, or I suppose guix deploy will use the current profile
so that should also work:

#+begin_src bash
GUIX_PROFILE="/tmp/my-guix-and-channels"
. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
which -a guix
# should print /tmp/my-guix-and-channels/bin/guix
#+end_src

> I briefly considered shipping a customized (gnu system pam) under a
> different name in my own channel, but the module is being consumed in
> too many places. Ideally, I would somehow shadow the official (gnu
> system pam). Thanks!

I wish "shadowing" specific files was possible too. Would really make
hacking on guix much easier via custom channels.

Best regards,
David

* Re: Deploying experimental versions of Guix
@ 2023-05-04 11:19   ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-05-04 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david larsson
  Cc: Felix Lechner, guix-devel-bounces+david.larsson=selfhosted.xyz,
	guix-devel

david larsson <david.larsson@selfhosted.xyz> writes:

> On 2023-05-02 15:44, Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the
> GNU System distribution." wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to test changes to (gnu system pam). How may I configure my
>> system, preferably using "deploy," please, while also pulling from my
>> custom channels?
>
> Hi Felix,
>
> I think creating a custom profile with a channels file containing a
> 'guix channel pointing to your modified guix version, and more custom
> channels as you wish (add to the same list), should solve it:
>
> #+begin_src bash
> guix pull -C custom-channels.scm --profile=/tmp/myguix-and-channels
> --disable-authentication
> #+end_src

You could also use that file with guix time-machine for one off tests.

* Re: Deploying experimental versions of Guix
@ 2023-05-08  0:46   ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-05-08  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david larsson; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi David,

On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 12:20 PM david larsson
<david.larsson@selfhosted.xyz> wrote:

> creating a custom profile with a channels file containing a
> 'guix channel pointing to your modified guix version, and more custom
> channels as you wish (add to the same list), should solve it:

Yes, it did indeed!

I am already writing this from an experimental system generation that
would make Guix more secure, easier to use, and more resilient to
hardware changes. With the technical challenge of reconfiguring
solved, my sole obstacle is now the expected storm of objections—or
perhaps more likely ignorance—to my proposed changes. Thanks so much!

Csepp, thanks for your response as well, and also for any private
messages I may have received from others.

Kind regards
Felix