unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* translation intermediate files
@ 2016-07-27 17:25 Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-07-27 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello shouldn't we add

po/guix/*.po
po/packages/*.po

in .gitignore ?

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: translation intermediate files
@ 2016-07-27 17:35 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2016-07-27 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll, guix-devel

Hi Vincent,

On 27/07/2016 19:25, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> Hello shouldn't we add
> po/guix/*.po
> po/packages/*.po
> in .gitignore ?

Why, exactly? Those files contain human-generated translations.
Machine-generated files (*.gmo, *.mo) are already .gitignored.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: translation intermediate files
@ 2016-07-27 17:42   ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-07-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

>> Hello shouldn't we add
>> po/guix/*.po
>> po/packages/*.po
>> in .gitignore ?
>
> Why, exactly? Those files contain human-generated translations.
> Machine-generated files (*.gmo, *.mo) are already .gitignored.

My bad, I was asking because they appeared after a build, so I thought
they were generated...

--

@ 2016-07-27 17:53     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2016-07-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Vincent,

On 27/07/2016 19:42, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> My bad, I was asking because they appeared after a build, so I thought
> they were generated...

No, you're (also) right. They're a bit of both.

The English source lines can be auto-updated when building, but the
translated lines come from hard-working humans at the Translation
Project, so we can't just .gitignore the whole file.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If modified .po files are stopping you from performing certain git
operations, running ‘git reset --hard’ should get rid of them and touch
the files so they don't get updated again. Only do this after committing
any changes you may have made by hand, if any.

Kind regards,

T G-R

* Re: translation intermediate files
@ 2016-07-28  8:37       ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-07-28  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Vincent,
>
> On 27/07/2016 19:42, Vincent Legoll wrote:
>> My bad, I was asking because they appeared after a build, so I thought
>> they were generated...
>
> No, you're (also) right. They're a bit of both.
>
> The English source lines can be auto-updated when building, but the
> translated lines come from hard-working humans at the Translation
> Project, so we can't just .gitignore the whole file.
>
> I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> If modified .po files are stopping you from performing certain git
> operations, running ‘git reset --hard’ should get rid of them and touch
> the files so they don't get updated again. Only do this after committing
> any changes you may have made by hand, if any.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Yesterday I thought if we chould make it more clear in the manual
developer part what these files are, how to deal with them, where they
originate and that they should not be included in the patches.

There might already be a "translating Guix" section, so we could just
extend that and add a few lines wrapped around the link. I can imagine
it to be in the 8.3 (?) section where you are advised to check things
before sending in the patch.
This applies to any model we might or might not adapt in the future,
wether email or not, the translation files will be there and some people
might not know what to do with them.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
Current Keys: https://we.make.ritual.n0.is/ng0.txt

* Re: translation intermediate files
@ 2016-07-28  8:44         ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-07-28  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

> Yesterday I thought if we chould make it more clear in the manual
> developer part what these files are, how to deal with them, where they
> originate and that they should not be included in the patches.

Another option would be to build outside of the source tree, and only
put the generated/modified files in the build tree.

Is this already doable ?

--
Vincent Legoll