unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.
       [not found] ` <20221222155239.C94C9C00613@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2023-01-07 15:43   ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2023-01-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Marius Bakke

Hello Marius,

>             glib
>             gtk+
> +           ipxe-qemu
>             libaio
>             libcacard                    ;smartcard support
>             attr libcap-ng               ;VirtFS support

I just noticed that:

./pre-inst-env guix build --system=aarch64-linux grub
/home/mathieu/guix/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm:101:2: warning: package grub@2.06 does not support aarch64-linux

it seems to be because of the following dependency path:

grub <- qemu-minimal <- ipxe-qemu <- ipxe <- syslinux

with syslinux that only supports x86_64-linux and i686-linux.

I'm not sure how to break that path. It looks like qemu-minimal is
required by grub for test purposes. Maybe we could restrict that
dependency and the tests to x86_64-linux and i686-linux?

WDYT?

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.
@ 2023-01-07 20:24     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2023-01-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, guix-devel; +Cc: Vincent Legoll

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skriver:

> Hello Marius,
>
>>             glib
>>             gtk+
>> +           ipxe-qemu
>>             libaio
>>             libcacard                    ;smartcard support
>>             attr libcap-ng               ;VirtFS support
>
> I just noticed that:

> ./pre-inst-env guix build --system=aarch64-linux grub
> /home/mathieu/guix/gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm:101:2: warning: package grub@2.06 does not support aarch64-linux
>
> it seems to be because of the following dependency path:

> grub <- qemu-minimal <- ipxe-qemu <- ipxe <- syslinux
>
> with syslinux that only supports x86_64-linux and i686-linux.
>
> I'm not sure how to break that path. It looks like qemu-minimal is
> required by grub for test purposes. Maybe we could restrict that
> dependency and the tests to x86_64-linux and i686-linux?

I don't know what iPXE uses syslinux for (CC Vincent); it appears to
build fine without it.  I made the dependency conditional on
architecture in d15972194aaef17fd1f7fd713d235c70794c9d4f, that way QEMU
should still work on aarch64.

(speaking of aarch64, Cuirass is slowly catching up now:
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/8?status=succeeded>).

Thanks for the heads-up,
Marius

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 04/08: gnu: QEMU: Unbundle iPXE.
@ 2023-01-07 20:40       ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2023-01-07 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe, guix-devel

On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 9:24 PM Marius Bakke <marius@gnu.org> wrote:
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > grub <- qemu-minimal <- ipxe-qemu <- ipxe <- syslinux
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >
> > with syslinux that only supports x86_64-linux and i686-linux.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to break that path. It looks like qemu-minimal is
> > required by grub for test purposes. Maybe we could restrict that
> > dependency and the tests to x86_64-linux and i686-linux?
>
> I don't know what iPXE uses syslinux for (CC Vincent); it appears to
> build fine without it.  I made the dependency conditional on
> architecture in d15972194aaef17fd1f7fd713d235c70794c9d4f, that way QEMU
> should still work on aarch64.

I don't know for sure, but searching a bit, I've found 2 references to
syslinux :

    You will need to have at least the following packages installed in
order to build iPXE:
    [...]
    - syslinux (for isolinux, needed only for building .iso images)
    [...]

See page : https://ipxe.org/download?s[]=syslinux

And :

    To be able to boot memtest, there are a couple requirements:

    [...]
    The memdisk kernel from the syslinux library
    [...]

See page : https://ipxe.org/appnote/memtest?s[]=syslinux

So maybe add a comment somewhere explaining that those 2 things
won't work on any arch != x86_*

Maybe just add that to the commitmsg...

Regards

--