unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix installation age warning sometimes wrong
@ 2017-07-24 17:06 Troy Sankey
From: Troy Sankey @ 2017-07-24 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

About 125 days ago, I updated my root profile's ".config/guix/latest"
symlink to point to my primary user's guix package definitions:

  # ls -l /root/.config/guix/latest
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Mar 21 15:00 /root/.config/guix/latest -> /home/sankey/.config/guix/latest

I did this because I didn't want to run `guix pull` twice every time,
once as root and once as my normal user.  Since then I've been keeping
up to date, running `guix pull` frequently as my normal user.

But now when I invoke guix as root, it constantly tells me:

  guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 125 days old.
  guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
  'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.

...presumably because it's reading the mtime/ctime on the symlink.  Is
there a more precise way to asses the age of the guix installation
symlink?

Troy

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: guix installation age warning sometimes wrong
@ 2017-07-24 17:55 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2017-07-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Troy Sankey; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Troy Sankey <sankeytms@gmail.com> wrote:
>   guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 125 days old.
>   guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
>   'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
>
> ...presumably because it's reading the mtime/ctime on the symlink.  Is
> there a more precise way to asses the age of the guix installation
> symlink?

This has been discussed previously, for example in this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00123.html

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: guix installation age warning sometimes wrong
@ 2017-07-25  8:16   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-07-25  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Troy Sankey <sankeytms@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 125 days old.
>>   guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
>>   'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
>>
>> ...presumably because it's reading the mtime/ctime on the symlink.  Is
>> there a more precise way to asses the age of the guix installation
>> symlink?
>
> This has been discussed previously, for example in this thread:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-05/msg00123.html

Yeah currently this is based on the mtime.

Eventually I think we’ll rather check the Git commit that this
corresponds to, compared to the latest one available (though that’s
tricky since it involves making a network connection.)

So that’s what we have for now.  As long as you don’t fiddle manually
with the ‘latest’ symlink, everything should be fine; otherwise be
prepared for things like this.

Ludo’.