unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [urgent] GNU Guix in Outreachy May 2019 round?
@ 2019-02-13 15:05 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

the next Outreachy round of internships will take place from May 2019 to
August 2019.  As a community we would need to decide very soon whether
we would like to participate in the upcoming round.

To make that decision we need to have people come forward who would like
to be mentors or co-mentors for an internship project.  Being a mentor
also means to come up with a project idea or to flesh out somebody
else’s idea.  (This is different from GSoC.)

The application period begins on February 18 (this is in five days).
The sooner we join the more likely we will find a strong intern.

If you have doubts about volunteering as a mentor, you are welcome to
write to me and/or the current Outreachy mentors off-list.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [urgent] GNU Guix in Outreachy May 2019 round?
@ 2019-02-18 10:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> the next Outreachy round of internships will take place from May 2019 to
> August 2019.  As a community we would need to decide very soon whether
> we would like to participate in the upcoming round.
>
> To make that decision we need to have people come forward who would like
> to be mentors or co-mentors for an internship project.  Being a mentor
> also means to come up with a project idea or to flesh out somebody
> else’s idea.  (This is different from GSoC.)
>
> The application period begins on February 18 (this is in five days).
> The sooner we join the more likely we will find a strong intern.
>
> If you have doubts about volunteering as a mentor, you are welcome to
> write to me and/or the current Outreachy mentors off-list.

The application period begins today.  So far nobody has come forward
to volunteer as a mentor, so I suppose Guix will not participate in the
upcoming Outreachy round of internships.

--

@ 2019-02-18 11:01   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-02-18 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Ricardo,

2019. febr. 18., H 11:53 dátummal Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> ezt
írta:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
> > the next Outreachy round of internships will take place from May 2019 to
> > August 2019.  As a community we would need to decide very soon whether
> > we would like to participate in the upcoming round.
> >
> > To make that decision we need to have people come forward who would like
> > to be mentors or co-mentors for an internship project.  Being a mentor
> > also means to come up with a project idea or to flesh out somebody
> > else’s idea.  (This is different from GSoC.)
> >
> > The application period begins on February 18 (this is in five days).
> > The sooner we join the more likely we will find a strong intern.
> >
> > If you have doubts about volunteering as a mentor, you are welcome to
> > write to me and/or the current Outreachy mentors off-list.
>
> The application period begins today.  So far nobody has come forward
> to volunteer as a mentor, so I suppose Guix will not participate in the
> upcoming Outreachy round of internships.

I don't have a project in mind, but willing to comentor if something comes
up. I can help on the administration and organisation side, and reviewing,
like I did already for the past two rounds.

@ 2019-02-18 11:53   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-02-18 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 18.02.19 um 11:53 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
> The application period begins today.  So far nobody has come forward
> to volunteer as a mentor, so I suppose Guix will not participate in the
> upcoming Outreachy round of internships.

Bringing KDE Plasma to guix. Considerable work has already been done on
my personal branch, but there is still some work to to. Not sure whether
this will be enough work for such a program

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: [urgent] GNU Guix in Outreachy May 2019 round?
@ 2019-02-18 14:33   ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel