unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-07 14:08 Veera
From: Veera @ 2020-03-07 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I am R Veera Kumar from India. I have been selected as Outreachy applicant
for May 2020 round.

I like to work with Danny Milosavljevic, the mentor of the project:
 Guix Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix

I am a self taught computer and software user. I am a Linux user for 15 years.
I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and others. I have built Linuxfromscratch
and Beyond LFS and used them for a custom distro for myself. I know some C,
Shell, awk, Perl, Python, Lua and basic system administration.

I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little before.
I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.

How do I get started?
What contributions can I make?

Thanks,
R Veera Kumar
mail: vkor@vkten.in, veerakumar.r@gmail.com
India

* Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-07 14:37 ` Veera
From: Veera @ 2020-03-07 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

@ 2020-03-07 14:43 Veera
From: Veera @ 2020-03-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[...]

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-07 15:19 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-07 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Veera, guix-devel

Hi Veera!

Welcome!

Veera <vkor@vkten.in> writes:

> I like to work with Danny Milosavljevic, the mentor of the project:
>  Guix Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix

Cool, sounds like this is very much needed!
Do you have a link to share the description of the assignment?

> I am a self taught computer and software user. I am a Linux user for 15 years.
> I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and others. I have built Linuxfromscratch
> and Beyond LFS and used them for a custom distro for myself. I know some C,
> Shell, awk, Perl, Python, Lua and basic system administration.
>
> I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little before.
> I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.

Since you are already familiar with programming, I suggest the book
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming.
It's available for free online:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

With modern editing:

http://sarabander.github.io/sicp/

It's available as a Texinfo manual which is packaged in Guix.

Finally, the video recordings of the class are insightful and to the
point:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-07 15:47   ` Veera
From: Veera @ 2020-03-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 04:19:09PM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Hi Veera!
>
> Welcome!
>
> Veera <vkor@vkten.in> writes:
>
> > I like to work with Danny Milosavljevic, the mentor of the project:
> >  Guix Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix
>
> Cool, sounds like this is very much needed!
> Do you have a link to share the description of the assignment?

It is a protected page.

> > I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little before.
> > I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.
>
> Since you are already familiar with programming, I suggest the book
> Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming.
> It's available for free online:
>
> https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
>
> With modern editing:
>
> http://sarabander.github.io/sicp/
>
> It's available as a Texinfo manual which is packaged in Guix.

I will see it.

> Finally, the video recordings of the class are insightful and to the
> point:
>
> https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Pierre Neidhardt
> https://ambrevar.xyz/

Regards,
Veera

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-07 20:31 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-03-07 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Veera; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Veera,

Veera <vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 7., Szo 16:05):

> Hi,
>
> I am R Veera Kumar from India. I have been selected as Outreachy applicant
> for May 2020 round.

Nice to see you around.

> I like to work with Danny Milosavljevic, the mentor of the project:
>  Guix Integration of desktop environments into GNU Guix
>
> I am a self taught computer and software user. I am a Linux user for 15
> years.
> I have used Redhat, Fedora, Debian and others. I have built
> Linuxfromscratch
> and Beyond LFS and used them for a custom distro for myself. I know some C,
> Shell, awk, Perl, Python, Lua and basic system administration.

That is impressive. It looks like we can also learn from you.

> I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little
> before.
> I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.

This is not a problem. I believe it can be picked up easily. This won't be
the biggest burden in the project.

> How do I get started?
> What contributions can I make?

To get started you should install guix. For this project it might make
sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix
development environment, by checking out the source code, and building it.

The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R package
from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the importer.

You can also check out http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy and work on some
easy bugs.

> Thanks,
> R Veera Kumar
> mail: vkor@vkten.in, veerakumar.r@gmail.com
> India

Thanks for your interest. I hope that I could give you useful information.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-08  7:41   ` Veera
From: Veera @ 2020-03-08  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 09:31:32PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Hello Veera,
>
> Veera <vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 7., Szo 16:05):
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am R Veera Kumar from India. I have been selected as Outreachy applicant
> > for May 2020 round.
> >
> Nice to see you around.

Thanks!

> > I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little
> > before.
> > I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.
> >
> This is not a problem. I believe it can be picked up easily. This won't be
> the biggest burden in the project.

Oh well.

> > How do I get started?
> > What contributions can I make?
> >

> To get started you should install guix. For this project it might make
> sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix
> development environment, by checking out the source code, and building it.

I am installing GuixSD.

> The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R package
> from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the importer.
>
> You can also check out http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy and work on some
> easy bugs.

Yes. I checked that.

> Thanks for your interest. I hope that I could give you useful information.
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

Thanks for the welcome!

Regards,
Veera

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-10  7:48     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-03-10  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Veera; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Veera <vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 8., Vas 8:41):

> On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 09:31:32PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > Hello Veera,
> >
> > Veera <vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 7., Szo 16:05):
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am R Veera Kumar from India. I have been selected as Outreachy
> applicant
> > > for May 2020 round.
> > >
> > Nice to see you around.
> >

> Thanks!
>

> > > I have heard about Guix from news and have checked about it a little
> > > before.
> > > I do not know Scheme/Guile Language.
> > >
> > This is not a problem. I believe it can be picked up easily. This won't
> be
> > the biggest burden in the project.
> >

> Oh well.
>

> > > How do I get started?
> > > What contributions can I make?
> > >

> > To get started you should install guix. For this project it might make
> > sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix
> > development environment, by checking out the source code, and building
> it.
> >

> I am installing GuixSD.

How did the install go?

Could you do it? Please feel free to reach out to me should you have any
questions.

> > The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R package
> > from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the importer.
> >
> > You can also check out http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy and work on some
> > easy bugs.
> >

> Yes. I checked that.
>
> > Thanks for your interest. I hope that I could give you useful
> information.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > g_bor
> >

> Thanks for the welcome!
>
> Regards,
> Veera

Best regards,
G_bor

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-11  0:31       ` Veera
From: Veera @ 2020-03-11  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 08:48:05AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>    Hello,
>    Veera <[1]vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 8., Vas 8:41):
>
>      On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 09:31:32PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
>      >
>      > To get started you should install guix. For this project it might
>      make
>      > sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix
>      > development environment, by checking out the source code, and
>      building it.
>      >
>      I am installing GuixSD.
>
>    How did the install go?
>    Could you do it? Please feel free to reach out to me should you have
>    any questions.

Install from ISO did not go well. Could not complete install.

So I tried VM img install and it is successfull.
Now I am reading docs about guix. And how to get my way around.

>      > The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R
>      package
>      > from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the
>      importer.
>      >

>    Best regards,
>    G_bor
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:vkor@vkten.in
>    3. http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy

Regards,
Veera

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-11 10:03         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-03-11 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Veera; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

Veera <vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 11., Sze 1:31):

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 08:48:05AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> >    Hello,
> >    Veera <[1]vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 8., Vas
> 8:41):
> >
> >      On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 09:31:32PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> >      >
> >      > To get started you should install guix. For this project it might
> >      make
> >      > sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix
> >      > development environment, by checking out the source code, and
> >      building it.
> >      >
> >      I am installing GuixSD.
> >
> >    How did the install go?
> >    Could you do it? Please feel free to reach out to me should you have
> >    any questions.
> >

> Install from ISO did not go well. Could not complete install.

What went wrong with the iso?
Did you try the guided on the manual install?
Was this on a VM or in bare metal?

> So I tried VM img install and it is successfull.

I am glad that you have a working system. Please check if you have enough
disk space, as the default VM image is small. It should be extended before
use.

Now I am reading docs about guix. And how to get my way around.

Great. The next step to contribute would be to build an unmodified guix
from source.

Try to find out how to do that, the manual has great instructions. Should
you have any questions feel free to reach out to us.

> >      > The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R
> >      package
> >      > from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the
> >      importer.
> >      >

> >    Best regards,
> >    G_bor
> >
> > References
> >
> >    1. mailto:vkor@vkten.in
> >    3. http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy
>
> Regards,
> Veera

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-11 16:50           ` R Veera Kumar
From: R Veera Kumar @ 2020-03-11 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:03:00AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Veera <vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 11., Sze 1:31):
>
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 08:48:05AM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > >    Hello,
> > >    Veera <[1]vkor@vkten.in> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 8., Vas
> > 8:41):
> > >
> > >      On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 09:31:32PM +0100, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > >      >
> > >      > To get started you should install guix. For this project it might
> > >      make
> > >      > sense to install guix system also. You should also set up a guix
> > >      > development environment, by checking out the source code, and
> > >      building it.
> > >      >
> > >      I am installing GuixSD.
> > >
> > >    How did the install go?
> > >    Could you do it? Please feel free to reach out to me should you have
> > >    any questions.
> > >

> > Install from ISO did not go well. Could not complete install.
> >

> What went wrong with the iso?
> Did you try the guided on the manual install?
> Was this on a VM or in bare metal?

oops in bochs_drm video module actually some depended bo_ttm module.
There were kernel trap faults occurred as seen in dmesg.

> > So I tried VM img install and it is successfull.
> >

> I am glad that you have a working system. Please check if you have enough
> disk space, as the default VM image is small. It should be extended before
> use.
>
> Now I am reading docs about guix. And how to get my way around.
> >

> Great. The next step to contribute would be to build an unmodified guix
> from source.
>
> Try to find out how to do that, the manual has great instructions. Should
> you have any questions feel free to reach out to us.

Yes. Would that require huge internet bandwidth? I mean downloading all
the package sources. And then building it. As in other distros is it
possible to just install binary buildtools and only download the source
for needed pkgs and install them?

> > >      > The usual first time contribution we recommend is to package an R
> > >      package
> > >      > from cran that has all its dependencies in guix using the
> > >      importer.
> > >      >

> > >    Best regards,
> > >    G_bor
> > >
> > > References
> > >
> > >    1. mailto:vkor@vkten.in
> > >    3. http://issues.guix.gnu.org/easy
> >
> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards,
Veera

* Re: Hi, I am R Veera Kumar - Current Outreachy selected Applicant
@ 2020-03-11 17:05             ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-03-11 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R Veera Kumar; +Cc: Guix-devel