unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Imagemagick with OpenEXR support
@ 2023-04-12 14:44 Théo Maxime Tyburn
From: Théo Maxime Tyburn @ 2023-04-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi guixers,

I am trying to add OpenEXR to the current Imagemagick.

I tried this out
```
(package
  (inherit imagemagick)
  (inputs (append `(("openexr" ,openexr)) (package-inputs imagemagick))))
```

but in the configure phase:
```
checking for OpenEXR >= 1.0.6... no
[...]
Delegate library configuration:
OpenEXR           --with-openexr=yes          no
```

I'm not sure why OpenEXR is not visible at configure time. There doesn't
seem to be any manual addition of references to include or lib
directories from the store in the current imagemagick package
definition. So I assume it should just work fine.

Any idea?

Théo

* Re: Imagemagick with OpenEXR support
@ 2023-04-12 18:08 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-04-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Théo Maxime Tyburn; +Cc: guix-devel

Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guixers,
>
> I am trying to add OpenEXR to the current Imagemagick.
>
> I tried this out
>
> ```
> (package
>   (inherit imagemagick)
>   (inputs (append `(("openexr" ,openexr)) (package-inputs imagemagick))))
> ```
>
> but in the configure phase:
> ```
> checking for OpenEXR >= 1.0.6... no
> [...]
> Delegate library configuration:
> OpenEXR           --with-openexr=yes          no
> ```
>
> I'm not sure why OpenEXR is not visible at configure time. There doesn't
> seem to be any manual addition of references to include or lib
> directories from the store in the current imagemagick package
> definition. So I assume it should just work fine.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Théo

If we are going by semver, then 1.0.6 is incompatible with 3.x.  Maybe
it expects an older version?

* Re: Imagemagick with OpenEXR support
@ 2023-04-15 20:56   ` Théo Maxime Tyburn
From: Théo Maxime Tyburn @ 2023-04-15 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: guix-devel

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ```
>> checking for OpenEXR >= 1.0.6... no
>> [...]
>> Delegate library configuration:
>> OpenEXR           --with-openexr=yes          no
>> ```
>
> If we are going by semver, then 1.0.6 is incompatible with 3.x.  Maybe
> it expects an older version?

Hum. But it seems to look for a version that is greater or equal
1.0.6. Shouldn't 3.x be matched ? Maybe I misunderstand semver.
You mean 3.x could have incompatibilities so that is what is is not
matched ?

* Re: Imagemagick with OpenEXR support
@ 2023-04-15 23:35     ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-04-15 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Théo Maxime Tyburn; +Cc: Csepp, guix-devel

Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> writes:

> Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> Théo Maxime Tyburn <theo.tyburn@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> ```
>>> checking for OpenEXR >= 1.0.6... no
>>> [...]
>>> Delegate library configuration:
>>> OpenEXR           --with-openexr=yes          no
>>> ```
>>
>> If we are going by semver, then 1.0.6 is incompatible with 3.x.  Maybe
>> it expects an older version?
>
> Hum. But it seems to look for a version that is greater or equal
> 1.0.6. Shouldn't 3.x be matched ? Maybe I misunderstand semver.
> You mean 3.x could have incompatibilities so that is what is is not
> matched ?

A major version bump is supposed to mean a backwards incompatible
change, so depending on how the greater-than operator works, 1.x might
not be "smaller" than 3.x.  It's not a total ordering, I think it's a...
semilattice?  Or something along those lines.

* Re: Imagemagick with OpenEXR support
@ 2023-04-16  0:17       ` Théo Tyburn
From: Théo Tyburn @ 2023-04-16  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: guix-devel