unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Is git the best tool for pulling packages?
@ 2024-04-21 22:31 Adam
From: Adam @ 2024-04-21 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi guix!
Recently I used nixos on one of my machines. And I noticed people there use
tar balls for fetching package definitions. And It worked much faster for
me.
That was surprising and I decided to write this letter.
Is git the right tool for getting new package definitions? What if git
commits history will become enormous?
As I see, first guix pull running too long for a lot of people.
Probably there are ways to cache all of this.
Anyway,  I'm just curious about it. If there are already answers for my
question, I would like to read them.