unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Proposal: Separate the guix repo
@ 2022-01-16  4:21 Jacob Hrbek
From: Jacob Hrbek @ 2022-01-16  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Currently it's taking me 1~4 hours (depending on the system without
outsourcing the load on high performance system) to build the guix
repository in order to be able to test the contribution and contribute
as such i am proposing to take an inspiration from Exherbo Linux and
separate the repositories, see https://gitlab.exherbo.org/exherbo

I believe that this approach has multiple advantages:
1. Significantly lower resource requirements to make a contribution
2. Better management as issue tracking can be done per repository and
enable developers who are comfortable in specified programming language
to focus on contributions there
3. It saves resources for automation as language and workflow specific
automation can have more specific trigger thus saving processing resources.
4. Cleaner git history
5. Faster system deployment as the user can specify that they don't need
e.g. engineering packages on their system
6. Much cleaner code as the packages would be separat
ed to be less
overwhelming (to reduce the files with thousands lines)

--
Jacob Hrbek

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - kreyren@rixotstudio.cz - 1677db82.asc --]

* Re: Proposal: Separate the guix repo
@ 2022-01-16  8:30 ` Ryan Prior
From: Ryan Prior @ 2022-01-16  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Hrbek; +Cc: guix-devel

> Currently it's taking me 1~4 hours (depending on the system without
>
> outsourcing the load on high performance system) to build the guix
>
> repository in order to be able to test the contribution and contribute

I have this issue too. Whether or not we split the repo, providing lightweight makefile targets that don't build everything would be great. I don't need to build all the localization stuff for every language regularly when I'm only going to be testing Guix in English, and so on with lots of tools I'm not necessarily testing.

Ryan

* Re: Proposal: Separate the guix repo
@ 2022-01-16  8:48   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-01-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)