unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* What's up with the .texi files always "changing"?
@ 2018-12-17 20:24 Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2018-12-17 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

	modified:   doc/contributing.de.texi
	modified:   doc/contributing.fr.texi
	modified:   doc/guix.de.texi
	modified:   doc/guix.fr.texi

Why does this keep happening?  If these are autogenerated, why are they
committed into git?  If they aren't autogenerated, why are they changing?

* Re: What's up with the .texi files always "changing"?
@ 2018-12-20  8:08 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-20  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello,

Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> skribis:

> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
>
> 	modified:   doc/contributing.de.texi
> 	modified:   doc/contributing.fr.texi
> 	modified:   doc/guix.de.texi
> 	modified:   doc/guix.fr.texi
>
> Why does this keep happening?  If these are autogenerated, why are they
> committed into git?  If they aren't autogenerated, why are they changing?

They are automatically updated, but not actually “generated”: fellow
hackers like Julien worked hard to write these translations.  :-)

However it seems that updates are triggered too often, presumably since
commit 7565d40e1e583b35148088bcf79760b9f95f91d9.

Julien, any idea how we could improve on this?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: What's up with the .texi files always "changing"?
@ 2018-12-20  8:45   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2018-12-20  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Dear,

I am trying to help Julien with the French translation and I did a
mistake. Maybe it is that.
I mean, from there [1] I try to learn how to use the robot, thinking
that my first submission will be rejected.
Sorry!

Since the traduction will be low, and lower and lower once the first
draft is completely done, why not manually update them instead of
automatically?

All the best,
simon

* Re: What's up with the .texi files always "changing"?
@ 2018-12-20  8:48   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-12-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: Guix Devel

Just add them to .gitignore would hide the issue. As long as we don't forget to commit the texi files along with uodates to the po files, it's fine.

Another solution would be to find a way to be able to generate them completely, so we don't need to add them to git. The issue is that the autotools don't like that: they refuse to work if the texi files are not present, which would be the case for fresh checkouts. I'd prefer this kind of solution though.

Note that .po files are also updated after a fresh make on a clean checkout, but maybe less often than the translated manuals.

@ 2018-12-20  9:33     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-12-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, zimoun, Ludovic Courtès

Don't worry the translation was accepted at the TP, but then there is a manual step that I didn't do to commit the changes in the Guix repository. This issue is actually happening since I added the first version of the translation.

@ 2018-12-21 21:09     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-12-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Julien,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> Another solution would be to find a way to be able to generate them completely, so we don't need to add them to git. The issue is that the autotools don't like that: they refuse to work if the texi files are not present, which would be the case for fresh checkouts. I'd prefer this kind of solution though.

What do you mean by “the Autotools refuse”?  :-)  Is it that our rules
in Makefile.am assume that those .texi file are present, or is there
something else?

Having them in Git, rather than having to wget from
translationproject.org, probably simplifies CI and ‘guix pull’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.