unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* plasma desktop in guix
@ 2023-07-21 12:30 Z572
From: Z572 @ 2023-07-21 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

hello!

i try update kde packages and running a plasma desktop.

url is https://github.com/Z572/guix/tree/kde-5.108.0

[-- Attachment #2: guix-plasma.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 488590 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: guix-plasma-login.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 327556 bytes --]

it running, but maybe have many bug.

plasma-workspace plasma-desktop kscreenlocker etc. their qml is cyclic
dependence, no idea how to cut cyclic, so i change qtwrap to set
QML2_IMPORT_PATH from `=' to `prefix', make them get system's env.

change sddm services to add some environment-variables make breeze theme
work.

and have many bug, such as screenlocker is cann't unlock, wayland is not
work, and something other.

you can try it.

username is plasma
password is plasma

``` bash
`./pre-inst-env guix system vm gnu/system/examples/plasma.tmpl` -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:2222 -net nic
```

* Re: plasma desktop in guix
@ 2023-07-26 17:11 ` Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2023-07-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

That looks good. Soon I'll try to get XRDesktop working on the Guix
System, either with Gnome or with KDE. Still a long way to get it
working on my Talos II. (I will have to upgrade my GPU to one from
RED Semiconductor as the current one needs non-free firmware.)

On Fri, 2023-07-21 at 20:30 +0800, Z572 wrote:

> hello!
>
> i try update kde packages and running a plasma desktop.
>
> url is https://github.com/Z572/guix/tree/kde-5.108.0
>

> it running, but maybe have many bug.
>
> plasma-workspace plasma-desktop kscreenlocker etc. their qml is
> cyclic
> dependence, no idea how to cut cyclic, so i change qtwrap to set
> QML2_IMPORT_PATH from `=' to `prefix', make them get system's env.
>
> change sddm services to add some environment-variables make breeze
> theme
> work.
>
> and have many bug, such as screenlocker is cann't unlock, wayland is
> not
> work, and something other.
>
> you can try it.
>
> username is plasma
> password is plasma
>
> ``` bash
> `./pre-inst-env guix system vm gnu/system/examples/plasma.tmpl` -net
> user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:2222 -net nic
> ```

* Re: plasma desktop in guix
@ 2023-07-31 18:55 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2023-07-31 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen, guix-devel

July 26, 2023 2:23 PM, "Tobias Platen" <guix@platen-software.de> wrote:

> That looks good. Soon I'll try to get XRDesktop working on the Guix
> System, either with Gnome or with KDE. Still a long way to get it
> working on my Talos II. (I will have to upgrade my GPU to one from
> RED Semiconductor as the current one needs non-free firmware.)

Just out of curiosity, how decent is the libre RED Semiconductor GPU?

Is it mostly RYF?

Joshua

* Re: plasma desktop in guix
@ 2023-08-16 14:13 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-08-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Z572; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Z572 <873216071@qq.com> skribis:

> i try update kde packages and running a plasma desktop.
>
> url is https://github.com/Z572/guix/tree/kde-5.108.0

Neat!  Please consider upstreaming those packages; that can make a lot
of people happy.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: plasma desktop in guix
@ 2023-08-16 14:15   ` Z572