unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How to properly package umbrella projects?
@ 2023-10-08  5:52 Unstable Horse
From: Unstable Horse @ 2023-10-08  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

short question: a program I'm writing depends on gst-plugin-gtk4 which
is a part of gst-plugins-rs[0]. What's the most appropriate way to
package such a project:

1. A package just for gst-plugin-gtk4, or
2. A package for gst-plugins-rs that installs all of its subprojects?

Side note: different subprojects have different licenses.

[0]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-rs

* Re: How to properly package umbrella projects?
@ 2023-10-09 11:03 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-10-09 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Unstable Horse; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Horse,

On 2023-10-08 7:52, Unstable Horse wrote:
> short question: a program I'm writing depends on gst-plugin-gtk4 which
> is a part of gst-plugins-rs[0]. What's the most appropriate way to
> package such a project:

In the majority of cases, I would say: a single package (here,
‘gst-plugins-rs’) with multiple outputs.  However.

- This repository seems to be cleanly designed to efficiently(?) build
only a single plug-in[1], rather than building all of them only to throw
most away.  Verify that, though.

- This is Rust, with its associated Cargo dependency hell, and
dependencies seem to be neatly declared[2] per-plug-in.  I think it's
wise to bite off only as much as you're currently willing to chew.

For those reasons at least, I'd go for a single gst-plugin-rs-gtk4
package, written in this style:

(define* (gst-plugin-rs name
                        (native-inputs '())
                        (inputs '())
                        (cargo-inputs '())
                        (cargo-development-inputs '()))
   …)

(define gst-plugin-rs
   (gst-plugin-rs "gtk4"
                  #:inputs
                  (…)
                  …)

You'll have to do some work in gst-plugin-rs to change the default of
"auto" for each unwanted plug-in.

> Side note: different subprojects have different licenses.

That would not factor into my decision.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

> [0]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-rs
[1]:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-rs/-/blob/main/meson_options.txt
[2]:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-rs/-/blob/main/video/gtk4/Cargo.toml

* Re: How to properly package umbrella projects?
@ 2023-10-09 11:06   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-10-09 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Unstable Horse; +Cc: guix-devel

>> Side note: different subprojects have different licenses.
>
> That would not factor into my decision.

Well, apart from adding a ‘license’ argument to the procedure, but there
are other missing arguments (synopsis, description) from that rough
example anyway.