unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Why are build systems separated into two modules?
@ 2022-09-17 13:51 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-09-17 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guixers,

Why are build systems separated into two modules?

Why can't an entire build system be contained in a single module?

Just trying to understand the background design decisions that went into
that for my own knowledge and understanding.

all best,

jgart

* Re: Why are build systems separated into two modules?
@ 2022-09-17 15:09 ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2022-09-17 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Guix Devel

Am Samstag, dem 17.09.2022 um 08:51 -0500 schrieb jgart:
> Hi Guixers,
>
> Why are build systems separated into two modules?
>
> Why can't an entire build system be contained in a single module?
>
> Just trying to understand the background design decisions that went
> into that for my own knowledge and understanding.
This way it's easier to separate what goes into the build (guix build
my-build-system) and what doesn't (guix build-system my).  The closure
of available modules at build time is declared in the #:arguments and
gets default-initialized to the %my-build-system-modules.

HTH

* Re: Why are build systems separated into two modules?
@ 2022-10-01 16:47   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-01 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liliana Marie Prikler; +Cc: jgart, Guix Devel

Hi!

Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> skribis:

> Am Samstag, dem 17.09.2022 um 08:51 -0500 schrieb jgart:
>> Hi Guixers,
>>
>> Why are build systems separated into two modules?
>>
>> Why can't an entire build system be contained in a single module?
>>
>> Just trying to understand the background design decisions that went
>> into that for my own knowledge and understanding.
> This way it's easier to separate what goes into the build (guix build
> my-build-system) and what doesn't (guix build-system my).  The closure
> of available modules at build time is declared in the #:arguments and
> gets default-initialized to the %my-build-system-modules.

On this topic, don’t miss Josselin’s guided your of the source tree!

  https://10years.guix.gnu.org/video/guixy-guile-the-derivation-factory-a-tour-of-the-guix-source-tree/

Ludo’.

* Re: Why are build systems separated into two modules?
@ 2022-10-02 18:58     ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-10-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Liliana Marie Prikler, Guix Devel

On Sat, 01 Oct 2022 18:47:19 +0200 Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> On this topic, don’t miss Josselin’s guided your of the source tree!
>
>   https://10years.guix.gnu.org/video/guixy-guile-the-derivation-factory-a-tour-of-the-guix-source-tree/
>
> Ludo’.

Awesome! I'll add it to my TODO portfolio.

all best,

jgart