unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Show version of operation system, kernel and distribution
@ 2016-01-01 19:37 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2016-01-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

In other GNU/Linux systems you have:
  cat /proc/version
  uname -a
  lsb_release -a

I would like to document the equivalents for GuixSD, are these:
  cat /proc/version
  uname -a
  guix --version

?

Even though i recently pulled guix from git it still shows:
~/src/guix$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.9.0

should we change this for it to say "master" or "git pulled at hash
xxxxxx" instead?

* Re: Show version of operation system, kernel and distribution
@ 2016-01-02 20:49 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-02 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia@riseup.net skribis:

> In other GNU/Linux systems you have:
>  cat /proc/version
>  uname -a
>  lsb_release -a
>
> I would like to document the equivalents for GuixSD, are these:
>  cat /proc/version
>  uname -a
>  guix --version
>
> ?

I would argue that this is outside the scope of Guix{,SD} itself: /proc
is a Linux (the kernel) thing, ‘uname’ is documented as part of
GNU Coreutils, and ‘guix --version’ is documented elsewhere.

> Even though i recently pulled guix from git it still shows:
> ~/src/guix$ guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) 0.9.0
>
> should we change this for it to say "master" or "git pulled at hash
> xxxxxx" instead?

Definitely.  The current behavior is a bug: <http://bugs.gnu.org/19318>.

Ludo’.