unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-04-17 15:49 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-17 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

It’s Sunday and you’re probably wondering what you could to help this
wonderful project.  Here’s an idea: make a screencast!  :-)

I’d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):

  1. The usual ‘guix package’ commands;
  2. the Emacs interface, briefly (like the generation diff);
  3. ‘guix environment’, including with ‘--container’;
  4. ‘guix system vm’ and the declarative OS configuration.

This is the kind of things we demo when making talks, for instance in
<https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2016-01__GNU_Guix__Reproducible_and_Customizable_Deployments.webm>.

Anyone wants to give it a try?  :-)

Here’s my contribution:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=a7d94b54c7c505f5cf9a2691f5340ae3d2acda9e

:-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-04-28  8:37 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-28  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès (2016-04-17 18:49 +0300) wrote:

> Hello!
>
> It’s Sunday and you’re probably wondering what you could to help this
> wonderful project.  Here’s an idea: make a screencast!  :-)
>
> I’d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
> showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
> have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):
>
>   1. The usual ‘guix package’ commands;
>   2. the Emacs interface, briefly (like the generation diff);

Here is my attempt (50 seconds video).  I think it is not worthy to
appear on the home page, but perhaps it will be interesting for someone.

https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/alezost/m/emacs-interface-for-guix/

Direct link:
https://b2aeaa58a57a200320db-8b65b95250e902c437b256b5abf3eac7.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/media_entries/8851/2016-04-28_105834.webm

It shows a couple of recently added features related to licenses and
locations.

The quality is poor though.  I should have spent more time on figuring
out how to make a proper screencast, sorry.  At least the file is less
than 1MB :-)

--
Alex

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-04-28  9:11   ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2016-04-28  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Alex,

Alex Kost writes:

> Ludovic Courtès (2016-04-17 18:49 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> It’s Sunday and you’re probably wondering what you could to help this
>> wonderful project.  Here’s an idea: make a screencast!  :-)
>>
>> I’d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
>> showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
>> have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):
>>
>>   1. The usual ‘guix package’ commands;
>>   2. the Emacs interface, briefly (like the generation diff);
>
> Here is my attempt (50 seconds video).  I think it is not worthy to
> appear on the home page, but perhaps it will be interesting for someone.
>
> https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/alezost/m/emacs-interface-for-guix/
>
> Direct link:
> https://b2aeaa58a57a200320db-8b65b95250e902c437b256b5abf3eac7.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/media_entries/8851/2016-04-28_105834.webm
>
> It shows a couple of recently added features related to licenses and
> locations.

It is really interesting to see these individual features highlighted!
Thanks for sharing!

Alex

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-04-28 12:13   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-28 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: guix-devel

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> Here is my attempt (50 seconds video).  I think it is not worthy to
> appear on the home page, but perhaps it will be interesting for someone.
>
> https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/alezost/m/emacs-interface-for-guix/
>
> Direct link:
> https://b2aeaa58a57a200320db-8b65b95250e902c437b256b5abf3eac7.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/media_entries/8851/2016-04-28_105834.webm
>
> It shows a couple of recently added features related to licenses and
> locations.

I find it pretty cool and worth showing on the /help page at least!

Mark, do you think you could upload it to audio-video.gnu.org?

Thanks, Alex!

Ludo’.

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-04-28 15:44 ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2016-04-28 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Court??s; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 05:49:08PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:

     It???s Sunday and you???re probably wondering what you could to help this
     wonderful project.  Here???s an idea: make a screencast!  :-)

     I???d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
     showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
     have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):

Doing decent video presentations requires a diverse range of skills.

I think that rather than simply appealing to individuals to create such a thing,
a better approach is to organise a small team to do it as a collective effort.

It just needs someone to put such a team together and coordinate it.  Now that
Guix is an official, legally sanctioned organisation they should be able
to do that!

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-04-29 12:42   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-29 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au> skribis:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 05:49:08PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>
>      It???s Sunday and you???re probably wondering what you could to help this
>      wonderful project.  Here???s an idea: make a screencast!  :-)
>
>      I???d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
>      showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
>      have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):
>
> Doing decent video presentations requires a diverse range of skills.
>
> I think that rather than simply appealing to individuals to create such a thing,
> a better approach is to organise a small team to do it as a collective effort.

It’s not clear, some people can do these things easily and quickly, I
think.

> It just needs someone to put such a team together and coordinate it.  Now that
> Guix is an official, legally sanctioned organisation they should be able
> to do that!

It doesn’t change the fact that we’re pretty much all volunteers.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-07-27 15:05 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I’d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
> showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
> have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):
>
>   1. The usual ‘guix package’ commands;
>   2. the Emacs interface, briefly (like the generation diff);
>   3. ‘guix environment’, including with ‘--container’;
>   4. ‘guix system vm’ and the declarative OS configuration.

I tried to extend my skill set, and made this, ahem, wonderful video:

  http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo.ogv (4 MiB)
  http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo.gif (24 MiB!)

It’s 1mn15s long and only shows #1, but I thought it’s a good start as
something to replace the 50mn video currently on the front page.

What do people think?

Given the size difference, I suppose we’d have to put the Theora video
rather than the animated GIF.

Ludo’.

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-07-27 17:29   ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2016-07-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> I’d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
>> showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
>> have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):
>>
>>   1. The usual ‘guix package’ commands;
>>   2. the Emacs interface, briefly (like the generation diff);
>>   3. ‘guix environment’, including with ‘--container’;
>>   4. ‘guix system vm’ and the declarative OS configuration.
>
> I tried to extend my skill set, and made this, ahem, wonderful video:
>
>   http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo.ogv (4 MiB)
>   http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo.gif (24 MiB!)

Amazing!

> It’s 1mn15s long and only shows #1, but I thought it’s a good start as
> something to replace the 50mn video currently on the front page.
>
> What do people think?

This is definitely a good idea.

--
Mathieu Lirzin

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-07-28 20:53     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-28 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: guix-devel

Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>>
>>> I’d like a video of at most 5 minutes to put on the home page that would
>>> showcase, for example (with explanations in English; bonus points if you
>>> have a good mic and are a native speaker ;-)):
>>>
>>>   1. The usual ‘guix package’ commands;
>>>   2. the Emacs interface, briefly (like the generation diff);
>>>   3. ‘guix environment’, including with ‘--container’;
>>>   4. ‘guix system vm’ and the declarative OS configuration.
>>
>> I tried to extend my skill set, and made this, ahem, wonderful video:
>>
>>   http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo.ogv (4 MiB)
>>   http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo.gif (24 MiB!)
>
> Amazing!

Here’s one that is cleaner (9 MiB):

  http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/tmp/guix-demo2.ogv

If we can get it copied to audio-video.gnu.org, I’ll put it on the front
page.

Maybe we could have a series of such videos (like the Emacs one that
Alex posted a while back) and the thing would cycle among them.

Ludo’.

* Re: Call for screencasts!
@ 2016-07-31 11:28       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-31 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

With help from Mark, the video is now on-line:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

Of course there’s room for improvement, so if anyone would like to
prettify the video, add more demos, or anything, this is welcome!

Ludo’.