unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* commit "gnu: Move openmw-openscenegraph to graphics.scm."
@ 2019-09-25  8:46 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-09-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Marius!

Thanks for commit 84a0c6ff63!

> Package inheritance across modules may cause unbound variable errors at
> expansion time because of cyclic dependencies between the modules.

My bad, I had introduced this error, but I did not notice because =make=
ran fine, =guix pull= too (at first, see below0.

This is a pitfall that has bitten me before and I still find it puzzling
to crack because:

1. Build guix does not complain.

2. It brings error at seemingly random spots.  In this case, it errored
for me when I "guix pulled" a new channel that had nothing to do with either
graphics.scm or game-development.scm.

Should we highlight this in the manual?

Better: could we detect this during "make" and report a relevant error?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/