unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
@ 2022-04-08 23:16 Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2022-04-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

feng@Guix ~$ LC_ALL=C ihome-reconfig
Cleaning up symlinks from previous home at /gnu/store/m70cycn4wkhqmk85pkh8jxspbnw35sw8-home.

guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory

* Re: guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
@ 2022-04-08 23:49 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2022-04-08 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Feng Shu <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> feng@Guix ~$ LC_ALL=C ihome-reconfig

ihome-reconfig is an alias of  guix home reconfigure myconfig

> Cleaning up symlinks from previous home at /gnu/store/m70cycn4wkhqmk85pkh8jxspbnw35sw8-home.
>
> guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory

yestoday have no this problem, today I guix pull and move
home-files-service-type (add "."), this issue is found.

* Re: guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
@ 2022-04-08 23:53   ` Brian Cully
From: Brian Cully @ 2022-04-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feng Shu; +Cc: guix-devel

Feng Shu <tumashu@163.com> writes:
>> Cleaning up symlinks from previous home at /gnu/store/m70cycn4wkhqmk85pkh8jxspbnw35sw8-home.
>>
>> guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
>
> yestoday have no this problem, today I guix pull and move
> home-files-service-type (add "."), this issue is found.

	I’m having the same issue, and I’ve seen at least one other
person on IRC having it as well. We all pulled guix today.

	I would have liked to start looking into it, but I have no idea
where to even begin. I tried turning ‘verbose’ to 100 (I don’t know what
valid values are, and can’t find documentation for the flag, so I assume
higher is more logging), and the output was the same. I can’t even tell
what it was trying to rmdir.

	I can appreciate that things like this happen in a rolling
release, particularly on a feature this new and in heavy development,
but I find it frustrating that I wasn’t even able to get a toe hold into
figuring out specifically where things were failing, so I could either
fix it myself, or provide details to the mailing list. I am *very* new
to Guix, so I’m hoping that I’m just ignorant of how to start debugging
a problem like this. I would deeply appreciate any guidance on the
matter, as it would allow me to feel more comfortable, and hopefully
more useful, in this environment.

-bjc

* Re: guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
@ 2022-04-10 20:48     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-04-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Cully; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org> skribis:

> Feng Shu <tumashu@163.com> writes:
>>> Cleaning up symlinks from previous home at /gnu/store/m70cycn4wkhqmk85pkh8jxspbnw35sw8-home.
>>>
>>> guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
>>
>> yestoday have no this problem, today I guix pull and move
>> home-files-service-type (add "."), this issue is found.
>
> 	I’m having the same issue, and I’ve seen at least one other
> person on IRC having it as well. We all pulled guix today.

This comes from here:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52808#20

That is, symlink-manager no longer prepends “.” to file names given to
‘home-files-service-type’.

Does that correspond to what you observed?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
@ 2022-04-10 20:53       ` Brian Cully
From: Brian Cully @ 2022-04-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
> This comes from here:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52808#20
>
> That is, symlink-manager no longer prepends “.” to file names given to
> ‘home-files-service-type’.
>
> Does that correspond to what you observed?

	A work-around that someone on IRC discovered was running: ‘ln -s
~/.config ~/config’ before running ‘guix home reconfigure …’ and this
seems to work. Afterwards the ~/config symlink can be destroyed and
subsequent reconfigures work as expected.

	That said, in my own configs I have only ever used
‘home-zsh-service-type’ and ‘home-xdg-configuration-files-service-type’
for managing my dotfiles. I don’t have explicit dot or dotless files
anywhere. I still ran into the issue and had to use the “fix” above.

-bjc

* Re: guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory
@ 2022-06-06 11:21 ` Andrew Tropin
From: Andrew Tropin @ 2022-06-06 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feng Shu, guix-devel

On 2022-04-09 07:16, Feng Shu wrote:

> feng@Guix ~$ LC_ALL=C ihome-reconfig
> Cleaning up symlinks from previous home at /gnu/store/m70cycn4wkhqmk85pkh8jxspbnw35sw8-home.
>
> guix home: error: rmdir: No such file or directory

It should be fixed by this commit:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=435e1cef00

--
Best regards,