unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Making sense of webkitgtk and webkitgtk-next
@ 2023-01-25 10:59 André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2023-01-25 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I noticed that webkitgtk-next is defined in such a way that its name is
set to "webkitgtk", not "webkitgtk-next".  This contrasts with how other
*-next packages are defined, such as emacs-next.

With respect to webkitgtk, if I run:

guix install webkitgtk

the version assigned in webkitgtk-next will be installed.  On the other
hand, all packages that depend on webkitgtk will be build with version
according to version assigned to %webkit-version.

I think I'm correct since I've just installed cl-cffi-gtk (which depends
on webkitgtk) and the REPL told me:

WEBKIT> (format nil "~a.~a" (webkit-get-major-version) (webkit-get-minor-version))
"2.36"

That is, it picked up the version assigned to webkitgtk, not
webkitgtk-next.

My question is: shouldn't webkitgtk-next be defined with its name set to
"webkitgtk-next" instead of "webkitgtk"?  Thanks.

--
André A. Gomes
"You cannot even find the ruins..."

* Re: Making sense of webkitgtk and webkitgtk-next
@ 2023-01-28  0:00 ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2023-01-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André A. Gomes, guix-devel

Am Mittwoch, dem 25.01.2023 um 12:59 +0200 schrieb André A. Gomes:
> Hi Guix,
Hi André,

> I noticed that webkitgtk-next is defined in such a way that its name
> is set to "webkitgtk", not "webkitgtk-next".  This contrasts with how
> other *-next packages are defined, such as emacs-next.
>
> With respect to webkitgtk, if I run:

> guix install webkitgtk
>
> the version assigned in webkitgtk-next will be installed.  On the
> other hand, all packages that depend on webkitgtk will be build with
> version according to version assigned to %webkit-version.
>
> I think I'm correct since I've just installed cl-cffi-gtk (which
> depends on webkitgtk) and the REPL told me:

> WEBKIT> (format nil "~a.~a" (webkit-get-major-version) (webkit-get-
> minor-version))
> "2.36"
>
> That is, it picked up the version assigned to webkitgtk, not
> webkitgtk-next.
>
> My question is: shouldn't webkitgtk-next be defined with its name set
> to "webkitgtk-next" instead of "webkitgtk"?  Thanks.
You are a little late to the party.  #60864 fixes that issue and the
related issue of two different versions being used.  I intend to push
it on Sunday, but might be convinced to delay doing so if
issues.guix.gnu.org continues timing out.

Cheers