unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* dropping vmpk in favour of jack-keyboard
@ 2016-10-13 21:21 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-10-13 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

a while ago I noticed that the software provided by the “vmpk” package
doesn’t work.  It is supposed to create a window displaying a MIDI
keyboard that can be used to send MIDI messages to other applications
via JACK, but it does nothing at all.  I tried to debug this but I
cannot seem to find the cause.

Now that we have “jack-keyboard”, which works just fine, I’m thinking
about just removing “vmpk”.  What do you think?  Any objections?

~~ Ricardo

* Re: dropping vmpk in favour of jack-keyboard
@ 2016-10-13 22:32 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-10-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:21:25PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> a while ago I noticed that the software provided by the “vmpk” package
> doesn’t work.  It is supposed to create a window displaying a MIDI
> keyboard that can be used to send MIDI messages to other applications
> via JACK, but it does nothing at all.  I tried to debug this but I
> cannot seem to find the cause.
>
> Now that we have “jack-keyboard”, which works just fine, I’m thinking
> about just removing “vmpk”.  What do you think?  Any objections?

I don't have any opinions about vmpk, but I think it would be good to
ask upstream for advice about the buggy behaviour, if there is active
upstream maintenance.

But, I know that means doing more work for a package you don't need
anymore. So I understand if you prefer to remove the package.

* Re: dropping vmpk in favour of jack-keyboard
@ 2016-10-18 15:59   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-18 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:21:25PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Hi Guix,
>>
>> a while ago I noticed that the software provided by the “vmpk” package
>> doesn’t work.  It is supposed to create a window displaying a MIDI
>> keyboard that can be used to send MIDI messages to other applications
>> via JACK, but it does nothing at all.  I tried to debug this but I
>> cannot seem to find the cause.
>>
>> Now that we have “jack-keyboard”, which works just fine, I’m thinking
>> about just removing “vmpk”.  What do you think?  Any objections?
>
> I don't have any opinions about vmpk, but I think it would be good to
> ask upstream for advice about the buggy behaviour, if there is active
> upstream maintenance.
>
> But, I know that means doing more work for a package you don't need
> anymore. So I understand if you prefer to remove the package.

Same here.  And I trust your judgment on the usefulness/usability, so if
there’s no feedback within a week or so, I’d say you can go ahead.

Ludo’.