unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GuixSD Success with grub-efi
@ 2017-05-29 14:17 James Richardson
From: James Richardson @ 2017-05-29 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I just successfully installed guixsd 0.13.0 with efi on a new HP
laptop. I found the manual to be somewhat lacking with specific details
on exactly how to accomplish this. I've added to my todo list to post
more details here.

I also had to disable secure boot (for obvious(?) and annoying reasons)
for the laptop to actually boot, but that is a rant for a different
audience. ;)

Thanks to all who helped make this possible!
--
James Richardson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD Success with grub-efi
@ 2017-05-29 20:35 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-05-29 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Interesting, that would surely be something useful to document.

I wonder if it's possible to use GuixSD with Secure Boot. Remember,
however, that we should embrace Secure Boot and reject Restricted Boot
([[https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libby/m/embracing-secure-boot-and-rejecting-restricted-boot-matthew-garrett/]]). The
reference given show that they're different concepts for free/libre
software activists. Secure Boot allows the user to manage the keys,
while Restricted Boot doesn't allow that. So the difference isn't a
matter of having an "on-off" switch.

One thing sounds odd, though: When you say you had to disable Secure
Boot, did you mean that you had to disable it before installing GuixSD, and
then enable Secure Boot after instalation in order for you to use GuixSD
with it? Or did you keep it disabled even after instalation?

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

* Re: GuixSD Success with grub-efi
@ 2017-05-30 15:59 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-05-30 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Richardson, guix-devel