unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* "guix system vm": waiting for partition "my-home" to appear ...
@ 2017-09-21 22:41 Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2017-09-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Feng Shu

Yestaday, I guix pull, and run "guix system wm MYCONFIG.scm"

which run success and generate a sh file

when I launch qemu with this sh file, I can see

"waiting for partition XXX to appear ..."

and can not boot properly.

* Re: "guix system vm": waiting for partition "my-home" to appear ...
@ 2017-09-21 22:51 ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2017-09-21 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Feng Shu

"Feng Shu" <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> Yestaday, I guix pull, and run "guix system wm MYCONFIG.scm"
>
> which run success and generate a sh file
>

> when I launch qemu with this sh file, I can see
>
> "waiting for partition XXX to appear ..."
>
> and can not boot properly.

by the way, the below is my config:

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
(use-modules (gnu system locale))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system
  (host-name "tumashu")
  (timezone "Asia/Shanghai")
  (locale "zh_CN.UTF-8")
  (locale-definitions
   (cons* (locale-definition
           (name "zh_CN.GB2312")
           (source "zh_CN"))
          (locale-definition
           (name "zh_CN.GBK")
           (source "zh_CN"))
          (locale-definition
           (name "zh_CN.GB18030")
           (source "zh_CN"))
          (locale-definition
           (name "zh_TW.BIG5")
           (source "zh_TW"))
          (locale-definition
           (name "zh_TW.UTF-8")
           (source "zh_TW"))
          %default-locale-definitions))

  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (target "/dev/sda")))

  (file-systems
   (cons* (file-system
            (device "my-root")
            (title 'label)
            (mount-point "/")
            (type "ext4"))
          (file-system
            (device "my-home")
            (title 'label)
            (mount-point "/home")
            (type "ext4"))
          (file-system
            (device "my-backup1")
            (title 'label)
            (mount-point "/mnt/backup1")
            (type "ext4"))
          (file-system
            (device "my-backup2")
            (title 'label)
            (mount-point "/mnt/backup2")
            (type "ext4"))
          %base-file-systems))

  (swap-devices '("/dev/sda8"))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "feng")
                (comment "Feng Shu")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups
                 '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/feng"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages
   (append (map specification->package
                '("gvfs" "nss-certs"
                  "network-manager-applet"
                  "gtk-xfce-engine" "adwaita-icon-theme"
                  "gnome-icon-theme" "gnome-themes-standard"
                  "hicolor-icon-theme"
                  "font-wqy-microhei"))
           %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,
  ;; and more.
  (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

* Re: "guix system vm": waiting for partition "my-home" to appear ...
@ 2017-09-22  8:52 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-09-22  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feng Shu; +Cc: guix-devel

Feng Shu <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> Yestaday, I guix pull, and run "guix system wm MYCONFIG.scm"
>
> which run success and generate a sh file
>

> when I launch qemu with this sh file, I can see
>
> "waiting for partition XXX to appear ..."
>
> and can not boot properly.

Guix will not partition the disk for you.  In your configuration file
you say that there will be a partition called “my-home”, but you don’t
give qemu a disk with that name.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: "guix system vm": waiting for partition "my-home" to appear ...
@ 2017-09-22 10:53   ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2017-09-22 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Feng Shu

> Feng Shu <tumashu@163.com> writes:
>
>> Yestaday, I guix pull, and run "guix system wm MYCONFIG.scm"
>>
>> which run success and generate a sh file
>>

>> when I launch qemu with this sh file, I can see
>>
>> "waiting for partition XXX to appear ..."
>>
>> and can not boot properly.
>
> Guix will not partition the disk for you.  In your configuration file
> you say that there will be a partition called “my-home”, but you don’t
> give qemu a disk with that name.

"guix system vm" have this option to set a disk?

* Re: "guix system vm": waiting for partition "my-home" to appear ...
@ 2017-09-26 14:23     ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2017-09-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Feng Shu

"Feng Shu" <tumashu@163.com> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> Feng Shu <tumashu@163.com> writes:
>>
>>> Yestaday, I guix pull, and run "guix system wm MYCONFIG.scm"
>>>
>>> which run success and generate a sh file
>>>

>>> when I launch qemu with this sh file, I can see
>>>
>>> "waiting for partition XXX to appear ..."
>>>
>>> and can not boot properly.
>>
>> Guix will not partition the disk for you.  In your configuration file
>> you say that there will be a partition called “my-home”, but you don’t
>> give qemu a disk with that name.
>
> "guix system vm" have this option to set a disk?

today, I "guix pull" and run "guix system vm MYCONFIG.scm" again, the
result qemu vm can run properly....