unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-25  5:32 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-09-25  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:

"Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526

I'm very excited about it!  I've been to SeaGL before as an attendee,
but this is the first time I'll try my hand as a presenter.  It's a
great opportunity to promote and share Guix within my local community.

I'll do my best to introduce Guix to the attendees!  If even one person
from Seattle decides to give Guix or GuixSD a try, I'll consider that a
success!  I need more Guix here on my home turf.  :-)

Footnotes:
[1]  http://seagl.org/

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-25  5:35 ` Brett Gilio
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-09-25  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 09/25/2018 12:32 AM, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>
> I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
> local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
> and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:
>
> "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
> https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526
>
> I'm very excited about it!  I've been to SeaGL before as an attendee,
> but this is the first time I'll try my hand as a presenter.  It's a
> great opportunity to promote and share Guix within my local community.
>
> I'll do my best to introduce Guix to the attendees!  If even one person
> from Seattle decides to give Guix or GuixSD a try, I'll consider that a
> success!  I need more Guix here on my home turf.  :-)
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://seagl.org/

Is it being recorded? Best of luck from a Parabola user.

Brett

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-25  5:41   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-09-25  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: guix-devel

Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:

> Is it being recorded?

Yes, it will be recorded.  The acceptance email said that this year, the
SeaGL organizers hope to record all talks (unless the speaker explicitly
requested not to be recorded, which I did not).  So you'll be able to
watch my talk and most of the others if you can't make it in person!

> Best of luck from a Parabola user.

Thank you!

--

@ 2018-09-25  5:46     ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-09-25  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

On 09/25/2018 12:41 AM, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Is it being recorded?
> Yes, it will be recorded.  The acceptance email said that this year, the
> SeaGL organizers hope to record all talks (unless the speaker explicitly
> requested not to be recorded, which I did not).  So you'll be able to
> watch my talk and most of the others if you can't make it in person!

Terrific! Definitely drop us all a link, I look forward to seeing it. If
you need help with anything, feel free to drop us an email.

Brett Gilio

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-26 10:05 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-09-26 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris!

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
> local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
> and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:
>
> "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
> https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526

Awesome!  If you want we can post a brief on the blog so people from
the area interested in Guix get another incentive to go to SeaGL.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-26 16:29 ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2018-09-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Chris Marusich writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
> local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
> and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:
>
> "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
> https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526
>
> I'm very excited about it!  I've been to SeaGL before as an attendee,
> but this is the first time I'll try my hand as a presenter.  It's a
> great opportunity to promote and share Guix within my local community.
>
> I'll do my best to introduce Guix to the attendees!  If even one person
> from Seattle decides to give Guix or GuixSD a try, I'll consider that a
> success!  I need more Guix here on my home turf.  :-)
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://seagl.org/

Hey this is great news!  I've been to SeaGL before and it was great.

Enjoy your talk!  I'm sure it'll go great.

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-09-27 19:14 ` Joe Hillenbrand
From: Joe Hillenbrand @ 2018-09-27 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmmarusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Awesome! I've never had a reason to go to SeaGL before,
but you just gave me one for this year.

See you there!

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-28  6:19   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-09-28  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludo,

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi Chris!
>
> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
>> local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
>> and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:
>>
>> "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
>> https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526
>
> Awesome!  If you want we can post a brief on the blog so people from
> the area interested in Guix get another incentive to go to SeaGL.  :-)

If that's OK, I think it would be great!  Would you like me to draft the
blog post?  If so, can it basically be the same abstract with a link to
the SeaGL website, or should it be something more substantive?

--

@ 2018-09-28  6:26   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-09-28  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Hillenbrand; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Joe,

Joe Hillenbrand <joehillen@gmail.com> writes:

> Awesome! I've never had a reason to go to SeaGL before,
> but you just gave me one for this year.

It's a fun event.  There are a variety of interesting talks and events,
so be sure to check out the rest of the schedule, too:

https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/schedule

It's also nice just to mingle with the other Seattle locals who are
involved in the GNU/Linux and free software community.

> See you there!

I look forward to meeting you there!

--

@ 2018-09-28  6:28   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-09-28  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> Chris Marusich writes:
>
>> Hi Guix!
>>
>> I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
>> local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
>> and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:
>>
>> "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
>> https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526
>>
>> [...]
>
> Hey this is great news!  I've been to SeaGL before and it was great.
>
> Enjoy your talk!  I'm sure it'll go great.

Thank you for the support!  I'll do my best.  :-)

--

@ 2018-09-29 16:35     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-09-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi Chris!
>>
>> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>>> I recently submitted a Guix-themed talk proposal for SeaGL 2018 [1], a
>>> local GNU/Linux conference that takes place in November here in Seattle,
>>> and I'm happy to report that it was accepted!  Here's the link:
>>>
>>> "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
>>> https://osem.seagl.org/conferences/seagl2018/program/proposals/526
>>
>> Awesome!  If you want we can post a brief on the blog so people from
>> the area interested in Guix get another incentive to go to SeaGL.  :-)
>
> If that's OK, I think it would be great!  Would you like me to draft the
> blog post?  If so, can it basically be the same abstract with a link to
> the SeaGL website, or should it be something more substantive?

I think a title, abstract, and link to the SeaGL web site would be
enough.  It’d be great if you could commit this to guix-artwork.git, and
then I can take care of putting it on line.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: SeaGL 2018 Accepts Guix-Themed Talk: "Everyday Use of GNU Guix"
@ 2018-09-30  5:14       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-09-30  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I think a title, abstract, and link to the SeaGL web site would be
> enough.  It’d be great if you could commit this to guix-artwork.git, and
> then I can take care of putting it on line.

Sounds good!  I've committed an announcement in commit
bfe3af6a197f0f7363f444ea79ea63e5af6f6e39 in guix-artwork.git.  Please
check it and, if it looks good to you, publish it.

Thank you for offering to announce my talk on the blog!  I hope we can
get more people interested in Guix in the Seattle area.  I know some
people who use Nix or NixOS, but so far I haven't met anyone who's heard
of Guix.  I aim to change that!

--

@ 2018-09-30 19:57         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-09-30 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> I think a title, abstract, and link to the SeaGL web site would be
>> enough.  It’d be great if you could commit this to guix-artwork.git, and
>> then I can take care of putting it on line.
>
> Sounds good!  I've committed an announcement in commit
> bfe3af6a197f0f7363f444ea79ea63e5af6f6e39 in guix-artwork.git.  Please
> check it and, if it looks good to you, publish it.

Done!

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/upcoming-talk-everyday-use-of-gnu-guix/

> Thank you for offering to announce my talk on the blog!  I hope we can
> get more people interested in Guix in the Seattle area.  I know some
> people who use Nix or NixOS, but so far I haven't met anyone who's heard
> of Guix.  I aim to change that!

Heheh, I wish you success!  :-)

Ludo’.