unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Porting Guix to RISCV
@ 2020-10-31 17:33 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2020-10-31 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

Anyone interested in porting GNU Mes and GNU Guix to RISCV? We can try
and purchase the hardware. We have a Polarfire running

  https://www.crowdsupply.com/microchip/polarfire-soc-icicle-kit

and there are more options coming. I am happy to support such an
initiative and buy the hardware.

Pj.

* Re: Porting Guix to RISCV
@ 2020-10-31 19:52 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2020-10-31 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2020-10-31, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Anyone interested in porting GNU Mes and GNU Guix to RISCV? We can try
> and purchase the hardware. We have a Polarfire running
>
>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/microchip/polarfire-soc-icicle-kit
>
> and there are more options coming. I am happy to support such an
> initiative and buy the hardware.

I added a few RISC-V related packages to guix already:

  u-boot-qemu-riscv64
  u-boot-qemu-riscv64-smode
  u-boot-sifive-fu540
  opensbi-sifive-fu540
  opensbi-qemu-sifive-u
  linux-libre-riscv64-generic

Got as far as booting a kernel in qemu, at least. So the basic boot
infrastructure is at least partly there...

So, I guess you could count me as interested. :)

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Porting Guix to RISCV
@ 2020-11-01 17:19   ` Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2020-11-01 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 12:52:19 -0700
Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2020-10-31, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > Anyone interested in porting GNU Mes and GNU Guix to RISCV? We can try
> > and purchase the hardware. We have a Polarfire running
> >
> >   https://www.crowdsupply.com/microchip/polarfire-soc-icicle-kit
> >
> > and there are more options coming. I am happy to support such an
> > initiative and buy the hardware.
>
> I added a few RISC-V related packages to guix already:
>
>   u-boot-qemu-riscv64
>   u-boot-qemu-riscv64-smode
>   u-boot-sifive-fu540
>   opensbi-sifive-fu540
>   opensbi-qemu-sifive-u
>   linux-libre-riscv64-generic
>
> Got as far as booting a kernel in qemu, at least. So the basic boot
> infrastructure is at least partly there...
>
> So, I guess you could count me as interested. :)
>

> live well,
>   vagrant
The libre-soc also supports riscv userspace, but its primary architectrue is the POWER ISA.
Therefore I propose to port guix to the POWER architecture too.

Tobias

--
Tobias Platen <guix@platen-software.de>

* Re: Porting Guix to RISCV
@ 2020-11-02 10:52   ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2020-11-02 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: guix-devel

Vagrant Cascadian writes:

Hey!

> On 2020-10-31, Pjotr Prins wrote:
>> Anyone interested in porting GNU Mes and GNU Guix to RISCV?

...trying not to get noticed, /me looks at their full plate (cough Mes +
ARM) and then slowly looks over shoulder...

>> We can try
>> and purchase the hardware. We have a Polarfire running
>>
>>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/microchip/polarfire-soc-icicle-kit
>>
>> and there are more options coming. I am happy to support such an
>> initiative and buy the hardware.
>
> I added a few RISC-V related packages to guix already:
>
>   u-boot-qemu-riscv64
>   u-boot-qemu-riscv64-smode
>   u-boot-sifive-fu540
>   opensbi-sifive-fu540
>   opensbi-qemu-sifive-u
>   linux-libre-riscv64-generic
>
> Got as far as booting a kernel in qemu, at least. So the basic boot
> infrastructure is at least partly there...
>
> So, I guess you could count me as interested. :)

Great!  Anyway, runing RISC-V on Guix (can I dream "the Hurd"?) is an
amazing perspective, so count me in!  Did anyone try building bootstrap
binaries for RISC-V?

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: Porting Guix to RISCV
@ 2020-11-03 10:06     ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2020-11-03 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen, guix-devel

Il 01/11/20 18:19, Tobias Platen ha scritto:
> The libre-soc also supports riscv userspace, but its primary architectrue is the POWER ISA.
> Therefore I propose to port guix to the POWER architecture too.
>
> Tobias

Hello!

Libre-Soc it's a really interesting initiative, kudos!

There are efforts ongoing to integrate Power architecture in Guix, you
can find the latest additions on the "wip-ppc" branch[1].

There's actually a blocking issue related to reproducibility[2].

You're welcome for any hint to try out Guix on Libre-Soc platform, would
be awesome!

Have a happy hacking day!

Matias

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-ppc

[2] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/41669

* Re: Porting Guix to RISCV
@ 2020-11-03 17:24       ` Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2020-11-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 11:06:20 +0100
Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net> wrote:

> are efforts ongoing to integrate Power architecture in Guix, you
> can find the latest additions on the "wip-ppc" branch[1].
>
> There's actually a blocking issue related to reproducibility[2].
>
> You're welcome for any hint to try out Guix on Libre-Soc platform, would
> be awesome!
>
> Have a happy hacking day!
Yes, I was actually able to run a 32-bit program on my Talos II.

[user@staticvoid ~]$ file /gnu/store/mizksigsqgn3h4mvignqg8j8hjlwrbg3-hello-2.10/bin/hello
/gnu/store/mizksigsqgn3h4mvignqg8j8hjlwrbg3-hello-2.10/bin/hello: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), d
ynamically linked, interpreter /gnu/store/m5rbrwvzaw526i0aiwkfjzihxha3phkd-glibc-cross-powerpc-linux-gnu-2.29/lib/ld.so.1, for GNU/Linu
x 2.6.32, not stripped
[user@staticvoid ~]$ arch
ppc64
[user@staticvoid ~]$ /gnu/store/mizksigsqgn3h4mvignqg8j8hjlwrbg3-hello-2.10/bin/hello