unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Problems with Emacs vterm
@ 2024-01-14 15:21 Christian Miller
From: Christian Miller @ 2024-01-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I have two problems with vterm.

1: It does have directory-tracking according to it's manuals.  I also
looked at the package and the required scripts are present.  But this
feature does not work for me.

2: I don't know why but TRAMP is not working with vterm, too.  It
opens a new buffer that is killed instantly.  This also breaks the
prompt of newly created vterm buffers for me.

Those features work for Eshell though.

--
Christian Miller

* Re: Problems with Emacs vterm
@ 2024-01-15  9:47 ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2024-01-15  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Miller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Christian,

Christian Miller <christian.miller@dadoes.de> writes:

> I have two problems with vterm.
>
> 1: It does have directory-tracking according to it's manuals.  I also
> looked at the package and the required scripts are present.  But this
> feature does not work for me.
>
> 2: I don't know why but TRAMP is not working with vterm, too.  It
> opens a new buffer that is killed instantly.  This also breaks the
> prompt of newly created vterm buffers for me.

Both work on my Guix System.  The ‘2.’ works both for a Guix and non
Guix systems.
  $ cat /etc/os-release
  NAME="Guix System"
  ID=guix
  PRETTY_NAME="Guix System"
  LOGO=guix-icon
  HOME_URL="https://guix.gnu.org"
  DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual"
  SUPPORT_URL="https://guix.gnu.org/en/help"

  $ guix describe
  guix 8920cf3
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 8920cf302c5a2fd457a2629afe24cf4768f1fed7

Do you use Bash as a shell for local and remote systems?  What is your
Guix version and is it a Guix System?

Oleg.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Problems with Emacs vterm
@ 2024-01-15 21:45   ` Christian Miller
From: Christian Miller @ 2024-01-15 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Oleg,

> Both work on my Guix System.  The ‘2.’ works both for a Guix and non
> Guix systems.

Interesting. (directory-tracking) It never did work for me since
several months.  I also created a VM to be sure that it is not my
Emacs config.  Does not work in the VM for me, too.

This is how I tested it.

Use the following file as preset:

;; This is an operating system configuration generated
;; by the graphical installer.
;;
;; Once installation is complete, you can learn and modify
;; this file to tweak the system configuration, and pass it
;; to the 'guix system reconfigure' command to effect your
;; changes.

;; Indicate which modules to import to access the variables
;; used in this configuration.
(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh xorg spice)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(operating-system
  (locale "en_US.utf8")
  (timezone "Europe/Berlin")
  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "de"))
  (host-name "gnu")

  ;; The list of user accounts ('root' is implicit).
  (users (cons* (user-account
                  (name "test")
                  (comment "Test")
                  (password (crypt "pw" "$6$abc"))
                  (group "users")
                  (home-directory "/home/test")
                  (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
                %base-user-accounts))

  ;; Packages installed system-wide.  Users can also install packages
  ;; under their own account: use 'guix search KEYWORD' to search
  ;; for packages and 'guix install PACKAGE' to install a package.
  (packages (append (list (specification->package "nss-certs")
                          (specification->package "emacs")
                          (specification->package "emacs-vterm")) %base-packages))

  ;; Below is the list of system services.  To search for available
  ;; services, run 'guix system search KEYWORD' in a terminal.
  (services
   (append (list (service gnome-desktop-service-type)

                 (service spice-vdagent-service-type)

                 (set-xorg-configuration
                  (xorg-configuration
                   (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))

	   (modify-services %desktop-services
                            (gdm-service-type config =>
                                              (gdm-configuration
                                               (inherit config)
                                               (auto-login? #t)
                                               (default-user "test"))))))

  ;; Allow resolution of ".local" host names with mDNS
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)

  ;; Use sudo without password
  (sudoers-file (plain-file "etc-sudoers-config"
                            "root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
test ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL"))

  (bootloader
   (bootloader-configuration
    (bootloader grub-bootloader)
    (targets '("/dev/vda"))
    (terminal-outputs '(console))))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                       (mount-point "/")
                       (device "/dev/vda1")
                       (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems)))

$(guix system vm <file>.scm) -m 4096 -smp 2

(in the VM)

1. Start Emacs
2. M-x vterm
3. cd Downloads
4. C-x C-f (find-file): It starts with "~/" instead of the expected
   "~/Downloads/"

cm@gnu ~$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Guix System"
ID=guix
PRETTY_NAME="Guix System"
LOGO=guix-icon
HOME_URL="https://guix.gnu.org"
DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual"
SUPPORT_URL="https://guix.gnu.org/en/help"

cm@gnu ~$ guix describe
Generation 6    Jan 10 2024 19:26:00    (current)
  guix c1fda6c
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: c1fda6cf61d4044d65c694cd309ca88c6b1ed5b7

Yes, I use Bash for local and remote.  I currently use GNU Guix System
on revision c1fda6cf61d4044d65c694cd309ca88c6b1ed5b7.

--
Christian Miller