unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-01 21:46 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-01 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Evening!

There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
<http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)
To use it, simply pass:

  --substitute-urls=http://mirror.guixsd.org

This is strictly a mirror so no new signing key needs to be authorized.

This is somewhat experimental, but hopefully it will provide better
bandwidth than our poor hydra.gnu.org (and until we receive the
replacement machine.)  Keep in mind that this is a cache: on a cache
miss, performance will be just as bad as with hydra.gnu.org, no wonder.

If this works sufficiently well, I propose to change
‘%default-substitute-urls’ to:

  '("http://mirror.guixsd.org" "http://hydra.gnu.org")

Let us know how well it works for you!

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-01 22:13 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-03-01 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 10:46:02PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Evening!
>
> There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
> <http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)
> To use it, simply pass:
>
>   --substitute-urls=http://mirror.guixsd.org

Awesome, I think this is making a big difference! Thanks to however is
providing the resouces for this!

> This is strictly a mirror so no new signing key needs to be authorized.
>
> This is somewhat experimental, but hopefully it will provide better
> bandwidth than our poor hydra.gnu.org (and until we receive the
> replacement machine.)  Keep in mind that this is a cache: on a cache
> miss, performance will be just as bad as with hydra.gnu.org, no wonder.
>
> If this works sufficiently well, I propose to change
> ‘%default-substitute-urls’ to:
>
>   '("http://mirror.guixsd.org" "http://hydra.gnu.org")
>
> Let us know how well it works for you!
>
> Ludo’.

* Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-01 22:34   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2016-03-01 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 05:13:23PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> > There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
> > <http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)
> > To use it, simply pass:
> >
> >   --substitute-urls=http://mirror.guixsd.org
>
> Awesome, I think this is making a big difference! Thanks to however is
> providing the resouces for this!

Yes, yes, yes! I spend many a good hour looking at substitutes deciding
to fetch (or not). These unplanned Zen moments I can do without.

Pj.

* Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-01 22:36 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-01 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Evening!
>
> There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
> <http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)
> To use it, simply pass:
>
>   --substitute-urls=http://mirror.guixsd.org
>
> This is strictly a mirror so no new signing key needs to be authorized.
>
> This is somewhat experimental, but hopefully it will provide better
> bandwidth than our poor hydra.gnu.org (and until we receive the
> replacement machine.)  Keep in mind that this is a cache: on a cache
> miss, performance will be just as bad as with hydra.gnu.org, no wonder.
>
> If this works sufficiently well, I propose to change
> ‘%default-substitute-urls’ to:
>
>   '("http://mirror.guixsd.org" "http://hydra.gnu.org")
>
> Let us know how well it works for you!
>
> Ludo’.

So far I had two package installations today, one was ghc-pandoc,
which worked okay with the caching mirror but I wasn't able to
complete it using the caching mirror (2 last packages had issues
I can't recall, after some repeated attempts I used hydra.gnu.org
again), the other one worked good enough.

So, thanks for the person or organization providing the mirror!
As it also points to hydra.gnunet.org I guess it's something
GNUnet e.V. related in running the mirror?

--
ng
irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/~NiAsterisk

* Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-02  9:20   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-02  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:

> So, thanks for the person or organization providing the mirror!
> As it also points to hydra.gnunet.org I guess it's something
> GNUnet e.V. related in running the mirror?

Yes, mirror.guixsd.org currently points to hydra.gnunet.org, which is
one of our build machines that was donated by Christian Grothoff’s
research team back at TU Munich.

Ludo’.

* Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-10 16:25 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
> <http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)

Now accessible over HTTPS!  It’s the 21st century!

  --substitute-urls=https://mirror.guixsd.org

See <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22937>.

Ludo’.

* Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
@ 2016-03-17 22:14   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-17 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
>> <http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)
>
> Now accessible over HTTPS!  It’s the 21st century!
>
>   --substitute-urls=https://mirror.guixsd.org

Now accessible via <https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org>!

This is the name guix-daemon uses by default since commit
df061d079b50111280aa7209b3b3c4cf21fde218.

Ludo’.