unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2019-11-29 19:58 Martin Becze
From: Martin Becze @ 2019-11-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix,
It took me a bit of time to figure out how to setup my Yubikey. Where
would be a good place to document how to do this?

Thanks,
-Martin Becze

* Re: Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2019-11-29 20:13 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-11-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Becze, guix-devel

I guess a blog article and an entry to the cookbook would be great!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2019-11-29 20:15   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-11-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Becze, guix-devel

To clarify, you can send your article to this mailing list with an
obvious title (e.g. [BLOG] ...) to get feedback before publishing.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2019-11-30  1:19     ` Martin Becze
From: Martin Becze @ 2019-11-30  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2019-11-29 20:15, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> To clarify, you can send your article to this mailing list with an
> obvious title (e.g. [BLOG] ...) to get feedback before publishing.

thanks Pierre! Maybe this should go into the cookbook though? I think
ideally it would be a wiki entry. Its one of those things that is easy
from hindsight but not easy to google.

---

For a user to access a Yubikey an udev rule needs to be added. This can
be done by using the udev rules found in libu2f-host package. To use the
rules the following should be added to your config.scm

(use-modules (gnu packages security-token))

(define %modified-desktop-services
  (modify-services %minimal-desktop-services
    (udev-service-type
     config =>
     (udev-configuration (inherit config)
                         (rules (cons libu2f-host
                                      (udev-configuration-rules
config)))))))

Reference
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Base-Services.html

---

Of course there is more to say about yubikey but this is all I needed
for now.

* Re: Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2019-11-30 11:34       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-11-30 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Becze; +Cc: guix-devel

We don't have a wiki.
For something short, maybe we can add it to the manual instead of a
dedicated cookbook  chapter.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2020-01-15  4:21       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2020-01-15  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Becze; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Martin,

Martin Becze <mjbecze@riseup.net> writes:

> For a user to access a Yubikey an udev rule needs to be added. This can
> be done by using the udev rules found in libu2f-host package. To use the
> rules the following should be added to your config.scm
>
> (use-modules (gnu packages security-token))

> (define %modified-desktop-services
>   (modify-services %minimal-desktop-services
>     (udev-service-type
>      config =>
>      (udev-configuration (inherit config)
>                          (rules (cons libu2f-host
>                                       (udev-configuration-rules
> config)))))))
>

> Reference
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Base-Services.html
>
> ---
>
> Of course there is more to say about yubikey but this is all I needed
> for now.

Did you write something for the cookbook?  I've also set up a YubiKey
using Guix - I actually packaged some of the things like libu2f-host -
and would be happy to review / add to whatever you've written.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Documenting Yubikey setup
@ 2020-01-23 14:22         ` Martin Becze
From: Martin Becze @ 2020-01-23 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

 > Did you write something for the cookbook?

The only thing that I know to put in the cookbook is the below snippet.
I think it should be expanded a bit. But I haven't had a chance to
futher explore using Yubikey. I still have some problems using it with
icecat that I need to figure out.

@ 2020-01-23 17:17           ` Brice Waegeneire
From: Brice Waegeneire @ 2020-01-23 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Becze; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2020-01-23 14:22, Martin Becze wrote:
>> Did you write something for the cookbook?
>
> The only thing that I know to put in the cookbook is the below
> snippet. I think it should be expanded a bit. But I haven't had a
> chance to futher explore using Yubikey. I still have some problems
> using it with icecat that I need to figure out.

I also had no luck with u2f tokens in icecat, it's probably related with
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38341.
Though it works well with chromium when the udev rules are in place, the
plugdev group exists and you are member of it.