unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Ruby on Guix
@ 2015-08-30 22:06 David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2015-08-30 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey fellow Guix hackers,

I just published a blog post about Guix targetting Ruby programmers,
detailing the ways in which Guix can replace the not-so-good RVM and
Bundler tools.  I know there's a few Rubyists lurking in here, so,
enjoy!

http://dthompson.us/ruby-on-guix.html

--
David Thompson
GPG Key: 0FF1D807

* Re: Ruby on Guix
@ 2015-09-01 18:40 ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2015-09-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 08/31/2015 12:06 AM, David Thompson wrote:
> Hey fellow Guix hackers,
>
> I just published a blog post about Guix targetting Ruby programmers,
> detailing the ways in which Guix can replace the not-so-good RVM and
> Bundler tools.  I know there's a few Rubyists lurking in here, so,
> enjoy!
>
> http://dthompson.us/ruby-on-guix.html

This is really nice. I did something similar in Python, replacing
virtualenv with Guix. People also use tox quite a lot these days, so I
wrote https://git.framasoft.org/Steap/guix-tox :) Is there anything like
tox in Ruby?

Cyril.

* Re: Ruby on Guix
@ 2015-09-01 22:54   ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2015-09-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Cyril Roelandt <tipecaml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/31/2015 12:06 AM, David Thompson wrote:
>> Hey fellow Guix hackers,
>>
>> I just published a blog post about Guix targetting Ruby programmers,
>> detailing the ways in which Guix can replace the not-so-good RVM and
>> Bundler tools.  I know there's a few Rubyists lurking in here, so,
>> enjoy!
>>
>> http://dthompson.us/ruby-on-guix.html
>>

> This is really nice. I did something similar in Python, replacing
> virtualenv with Guix. People also use tox quite a lot these days, so I
> wrote https://git.framasoft.org/Steap/guix-tox :) Is there anything like
> tox in Ruby?

I haven't used tox, but after reading the text in the above web page I
can't think of anything like it.

- Dave

* Re: Ruby on Guix
@ 2015-09-02 10:14     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-02 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: guix-devel

Good stuff.

Tox is actually similar to what rvm+bundler offers (with Travis for
CI) in the Ruby world.

Here, we have gotten rid of rvm/rbenv and bundler. I certainly hope to
use Guix + Travis soon for CI - it is useful for development because
of fast turnaround (unlike the Guix CI).

Pj.