unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* failing swap service while guix system reconfigure
@ 2016-07-27 17:54 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-07-27 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Like the title says, I encountered this problem for a good long time
until I found out that
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
…or in this case:

sudo swapon /dev/sda3 ; sudo swapoff /dev/sda3

"fixed" it.

Is this a unique case? I did not reconfigure the system for about 2
months or more. The error I got was not obvious at first - something
with swap, but nothing which would tell me turning it on and off again
would be "the" solution.

Should I open a bug, just in case this wasn't random glitching?
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
Current Keys: https://we.make.ritual.n0.is/ng0.txt

* Re: failing swap service while guix system reconfigure
@ 2016-07-29 14:59 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-29 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:

> Like the title says, I encountered this problem

Which problem?

Could you paste the failing command and its output?

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.

* Re: failing swap service while guix system reconfigure
@ 2016-07-30  8:44   ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-07-30  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:
>
>> Like the title says, I encountered this problem
>
> Which problem?
>
> Could you paste the failing command and its output?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ludo’.

The current failure is gone since I updated my system, but I'll search
for logs and irc logs and provide more specific details.

The problem was that this in the config for the system did not restart
the swap service like it used to do:

(swap-devices '("/dev/sda3"))

Now when I ran sudo swapoff /dev/sda3; sudo swapon /dev/sda3
before running the system reconfigure, it did not fail.

More specific error output follows.
--

@ 2016-08-11 11:41     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-08-11 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> ng0 <ng0@we.make.ritual.n0.is> skribis:
>>
>>> Like the title says, I encountered this problem
>>
>> Which problem?
>>
>> Could you paste the failing command and its output?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> The current failure is gone since I updated my system, but I'll search
> for logs and irc logs and provide more specific details.
>
> The problem was that this in the config for the system did not restart
> the swap service like it used to do:
>
> (swap-devices '("/dev/sda3"))
>
> Now when I ran sudo swapoff /dev/sda3; sudo swapon /dev/sda3
> before running the system reconfigure, it did not fail.
>
> More specific error output follows.

This is not reproducible on other systems I upgraded.
Consider this a unique problem if it doesn't appear again.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org