unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Change defaults of 'define-record-type*' need invalidate auto-compilation caches
@ 2018-01-06 14:55 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2018-01-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

* Re: Change defaults of 'define-record-type*' need invalidate auto-compilation caches
@ 2018-01-06 15:07 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2018-01-06 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> Hello,

Send it by mistake...

For example, in the current directory, I have 'foo.scm':
(define-module (foo)
  #:use-module (guix records)
  #:export (foo foo-x))

(define-record-type* <foo>
  foo make-foo foo?
  (x foo-x (default "x")))

And 'x.scm':
(use-modules (foo))
(display (foo-x (foo)))

Run 'guile -L . x.scm', will output "x".

Then I change the '(default "x")' to '(default "y")' in foo.scm, and
re-run 'guile -L x.scm', it still output "x", I would expect it to
change to "y".

Only with '--fresh-auto-compile' or delete the cache of x.scm, I will
get the output "y".

Is this a bug?

* Re: Change defaults of 'define-record-type*' need invalidate auto-compilation caches
@ 2018-01-08 10:37   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-01-08 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:

> For example, in the current directory, I have 'foo.scm':
>
> (define-module (foo)
>   #:use-module (guix records)
>   #:export (foo foo-x))
>
> (define-record-type* <foo>
>   foo make-foo foo?
>   (x foo-x (default "x")))
>

> And 'x.scm':
>
> (use-modules (foo))
> (display (foo-x (foo)))
>

> Run 'guile -L . x.scm', will output "x".
>
> Then I change the '(default "x")' to '(default "y")' in foo.scm, and
> re-run 'guile -L x.scm', it still output "x", I would expect it to
> change to "y".
>
> Only with '--fresh-auto-compile' or delete the cache of x.scm, I will
> get the output "y".
>
> Is this a bug?

It’s a feature.  :-)

Namely, default value resolution happens at macro-expansion time:

scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix records)
scheme@(guile-user)> (define-record-type* <foo>
  foo make-foo foo?
  (x foo-x (default "x")))

scheme@(guile-user)> ,expand (foo)
$2 = (let* ((x "x")
       (s ((@@ (srfi srfi-9) allocate-struct) <foo> 1)))
  ((@@ (srfi srfi-9) struct-set!) s 0 x)
  s)

That way, we can check at macro-expansion time that all the required
fields are present, which is nice.

The downside is what you write: that everything that uses the record
type must be recompiled when it is changed (IOW, the record type is part
of the ABI).

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: Change defaults of 'define-record-type*' need invalidate auto-compilation caches
@ 2018-01-08 12:49     ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2018-01-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Only with '--fresh-auto-compile' or delete the cache of x.scm, I will
>> get the output "y".
>>
>> Is this a bug?
>
> It’s a feature.  :-)
>
> Namely, default value resolution happens at macro-expansion time:
>
> scheme@(guile-user)> ,use(guix records)
> scheme@(guile-user)> (define-record-type* <foo>
>   foo make-foo foo?
>   (x foo-x (default "x")))
>
> scheme@(guile-user)> ,expand (foo)
> $2 = (let* ((x "x")
>        (s ((@@ (srfi srfi-9) allocate-struct) <foo> 1)))
>   ((@@ (srfi srfi-9) struct-set!) s 0 x)
>   s)
>
> That way, we can check at macro-expansion time that all the required
> fields are present, which is nice.
>
> The downside is what you write: that everything that uses the record
> type must be recompiled when it is changed (IOW, the record type is part
> of the ABI).
>
> HTH!

Get it, thanks for the explanation!