unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
@ 2019-02-04  6:13 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-02-04  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Guile User

Thank you everyone for this great FOSDEM with the GNU Guix days: it
was just great to see everyone and all the interactions! I feel much
inspired to try GNU Hurd, new Guix features, the new Guile build
system and even Racket (oops).

A special thank you to the speakers and everyone who helped out!

People came from really far, e.g., Argentina, USA (4x!), Canada,
Israel.  Wonderful to have you with us! Thanks you so much for making
the effort!

Especially I wish to thank Manolis Ragkousis for doing so many of the
preparations and dealing with the ungrateful job of organizing the
programme and chasing speakers.

I wish to thanks Andreas Enge, Efraim Flashner and Chris Marusich:
thank you so much for helping out with the minimalistic languages
devroom! We have run one of the most intense devrooms with so many
back-to-back talks and no pauses.

And finally I wish to thank all the people working on GNU Guix and GNU
Mes. You make it all so interesting :). I feel 2019 is going to be an
exceptional year.

The videos should be coming online in the coming days (see the
schedule

https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/track/minimalistic_languages/

If you were a speaker, please click the link that was sent to you to
release the video. Slides can still be uploaded through pentabarf.

For those still heading back: safe travels! And hope to see everyone
next year in health and great spirits!

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
@ 2019-02-04 13:23 ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2019-02-04 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Guile User

I'm sorry I missed the Guix days, it seems like it was quite an event!
But all the Guile stuff in the minimalist languages room was great.
Clearly 2018 was a great year for Guile and Guix... I'll place a bet
that 2019 will be just as great or better :)

Pjotr Prins writes:

> Thank you everyone for this great FOSDEM with the GNU Guix days: it
> was just great to see everyone and all the interactions! I feel much
> inspired to try GNU Hurd, new Guix features, the new Guile build
> system and even Racket (oops).
>
> A special thank you to the speakers and everyone who helped out!
>
> People came from really far, e.g., Argentina, USA (4x!), Canada,
> Israel.  Wonderful to have you with us! Thanks you so much for making
> the effort!
>
> Especially I wish to thank Manolis Ragkousis for doing so many of the
> preparations and dealing with the ungrateful job of organizing the
> programme and chasing speakers.
>
> I wish to thanks Andreas Enge, Efraim Flashner and Chris Marusich:
> thank you so much for helping out with the minimalistic languages
> devroom! We have run one of the most intense devrooms with so many
> back-to-back talks and no pauses.
>
> And finally I wish to thank all the people working on GNU Guix and GNU
> Mes. You make it all so interesting :). I feel 2019 is going to be an
> exceptional year.
>
> The videos should be coming online in the coming days (see the
> schedule
>
> https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/track/minimalistic_languages/
>
> If you were a speaker, please click the link that was sent to you to
> release the video. Slides can still be uploaded through pentabarf.
>
> For those still heading back: safe travels! And hope to see everyone
> next year in health and great spirits!
>
> Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
@ 2019-02-04 18:14 ` znavko
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: znavko @ 2019-02-04 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Guix Devel

Cool story from Ricardo Wurmus! https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/guixinfra/ <https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/guixinfra/>
"The concept of the workflow is  the expansion of the idea of pipeline."

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
@ 2019-02-04 21:05 ` Laura Lazzati
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-04 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Guix-devel, Guile User

Hi!

It was a pleasure for me being invited to Guix Days and FOSDEM :)
Hope I can join again next year :)
Wish me luck on my plain back home!
Regards!
Laura

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-02-04 22:48 ` Ludovic Courtès
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-02-04 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Guile User

Hello!

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> Thank you everyone for this great FOSDEM with the GNU Guix days: it
> was just great to see everyone and all the interactions! I feel much
> inspired to try GNU Hurd, new Guix features, the new Guile build
> system and even Racket (oops).
>
> A special thank you to the speakers and everyone who helped out!

A big thanks to you Pjotr, to everyone who helped out with the
organization, and to everyone who made it at the event!  It was sooo
refreshing and so energizing to spend 4 days all together, I wish we
didn’t leave that far from one another.  ;-)

Interestingly we didn’t have a formal closing of the Guix Days on Friday
evening, but the next two days felt very Guiley and Guixy to me.

See you next year and maybe earlier?  Let’s have more meetups!

Ludo’.

* On workflows and GWL
@ 2019-02-05  8:36   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-02-05  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 07:14:23PM +0100, znavko@tutanota.com wrote:
>    Cool story from Ricardo Wurmus!
>    [1]https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/guixinfra/
>
>    "The concept of the workflow is  the expansion of the idea of
>    pipeline."

We discussed workflows and I suppose we should continue the
discussion. What would be the best mailing list - Guix, guix-hpc or a
new one?

I am quite keen to describe workflows with GWL and have them execute
on either CWL backends or within Guix. I mean, I want both options to
work from one Scheme definition, build components from a REPL and use
Guix to deploy :)

Pj.

* Re: On workflows and GWL
@ 2019-02-05  9:16     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-02-05  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Guix Devel

Oh, missed that. There is a mailing list!

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gwl-devel/

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 09:36:24AM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> We discussed workflows and I suppose we should continue the
> discussion. What would be the best mailing list - Guix, guix-hpc or a
> new one?

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-02-05 10:28 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-05 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Guile User

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 07:13:47 +0100
Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:

> Thank you everyone for this great FOSDEM with the GNU Guix days: it
> was just great to see everyone and all the interactions! I feel much
> inspired to try GNU Hurd, new Guix features, the new Guile build
> system and even Racket (oops).

It was nice to see you and rich of ideas to go on with.

Thanks for organizing,

Björn

* Re: On workflows and GWL
@ 2019-02-05 13:00       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-02-05 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Guix Devel

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> Oh, missed that. There is a mailing list!
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gwl-devel/

Yup, the gwl-devel mailing list is the place where GWL action happens.
I’m looking forward to discussing the semantics of a CWL export with you
there! :)

--
Ricardo

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-02-06  0:52 ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2019-02-06  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Guile User

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 07:13:47AM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Thank you everyone for this great FOSDEM with the GNU Guix days: it
> was just great to see everyone and all the interactions! I feel much
> inspired to try GNU Hurd, new Guix features, the new Guile build
> system and even Racket (oops).

I also wanted to say thanks to all concerned, and also thanks to
the Guix people for letting me crash their event.

Regards,

Mike Gran

* Re: FOSDEM 2019: Thank you!
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-02-11 13:43 ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-02-11 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all—

This message is a bit belated... but thank you for the good
organisation of the Guix days (that I could only participate near the
end), as well as the organisation and high-quality talks in the
minimalistic languages track!  I only met good people.  I knew already
that they were pleasant as well as knowledgable through the Internet,
and now I experienced that this is also true in real life!

Best,

—Marco