unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 17:06 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-22 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I have created the site: https://archive.org/details/guix-videos
where I will be pushing  the documentation videos that I created
during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.

I appreciate feedback :)

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 18:10 ` znavko
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: znavko @ 2019-05-22 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Guix-devel

Wow! I want to see these topics:
- disk partitioning on guix system installation (manual lacks detailed info)
- how to learn guile
- how to get rid with configuration file
- how actually read guix errors and where to look for more info (I really had not learnt this yet)
- config.scm examples for xfce, gnome, wpa-supplicant, touchpad, keyboards, multi-users, samba service, postgresql service, web-server and so on
- how to configure kernel or use own kernel in guix.

Do you want to discuss such content with somebody?

May 22, 2019 5:14 PM, "Laura Lazzati" <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I have created the site: https://archive.org/details/guix-videos
> where I will be pushing the documentation videos that I created
> during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
> and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.
>
> I appreciate feedback :)
>
> Regards!
> Laura

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 18:17 ` Pronaip
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pronaip @ 2019-05-22 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

> where I will be pushing the documentation videos that I created
> during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
> and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.
>
> I appreciate feedback :)
>
> Regards!
> Laura

The video is great but the introductory videos link (https://audio.video.gnu.org) seems to lead to nowhere. Has it not been set up?

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 18:18 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-05-22 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj.
22., Sze, 19:14):

> Hi Guix!
>
> I have created the site: https://archive.org/details/guix-videos
> where I will be pushing  the documentation videos that I created
> during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
> and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.

Thank you so much for working on this!

Also thanks for Paul, some subtle bugs could have been fixed much later
without you help, Your knowledge regarding videos is much appreciated.

> I appreciate feedback :)

I will have a look at them as soon as I can.

> Regards!
> Laura
>
> Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 18:22   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-05-22 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Pronaip <pronaip@protonmail.com> writes:

[...]

> The video is great but the introductory videos link
> (https://audio.video.gnu.org) seems to lead to nowhere. Has it not
> been set up?

That’s a typo; it should have been https://audio-video.gnu.org.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 18:28     ` Pronaip
From: Pronaip @ 2019-05-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-05-22 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello,

Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj. 22., Sze,
20:22):

> Pronaip <pronaip@protonmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > The video is great but the introductory videos link
> > (https://audio.video.gnu.org) seems to lead to nowhere. Has it not
> > been set up?
> >

> That’s a typo; it should have been https://audio-video.gnu.org.
>

> Yes, that is true, but the url without the typo is still not set up.

The videos uploaded to achive are uploaded to give final feedback and
discussion before uploading them to audio-video.gnu.org.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-22 19:13 ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-05-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I have created the site: https://archive.org/details/guix-videos
> where I will be pushing  the documentation videos that I created
> during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
> and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.
>
> I appreciate feedback :)

This is really great!  Thank you so much for seeing the videos through
to completion.  It’s very exciting to have such high-quality materials
available to the community.  :)

I have one little suggestion.  The part where Paul reads the URL feels
very slow to me.  I think it could be a touch faster without losing any
clarity, and that speeding it up a bit would improve the rhythm of the
video.  That being said, I am a native English speaker, so maybe the
slower pace is helpful for those who don’t normally speak English.  How
hard is it to change?  What do others think?

Otherwise, it’s awesome.  Thanks again!

-- Tim

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-22 19:48   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-22 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: Guix-devel

---- On Wed, 22 May 2019 14:13:05 -0500 Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> wrote ----

 > Hi Laura,
 >
 > Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> writes:
 >
 > > Hi Guix!
 > >
 > > I have created the site: https://archive.org/details/guix-videos
 > > where I will be pushing  the documentation videos that I created
 > > during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
 > > and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.
 > >
 > > I appreciate feedback :)
 >
 > This is really great!  Thank you so much for seeing the videos through
 > to completion.  It’s very exciting to have such high-quality materials
 > available to the community.  :)

+1 \o/

 > I have one little suggestion.  The part where Paul reads the URL feels
 > very slow to me.  I think it could be a touch faster without losing any
 > clarity, and that speeding it up a bit would improve the rhythm of the
 > video.  That being said, I am a native English speaker, so maybe the
 > slower pace is helpful for those who don’t normally speak English.  How
 > hard is it to change?  What do others think?

I'm not a native English speaker, and I also though it was a bit slow, but also thought the pace could help other people,  so I really don't mind. And I find Paul's voice very clear; I think it will make it easy to understand the videos.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-23  8:24   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-05-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: guix-devel

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> writes:

> I have one little suggestion.  The part where Paul reads the URL feels
> very slow to me.  I think it could be a touch faster without losing any
> clarity, and that speeding it up a bit would improve the rhythm of the
> video.  That being said, I am a native English speaker, so maybe the
> slower pace is helpful for those who don’t normally speak English.  How
> hard is it to change?  What do others think?

I also felt that this was a tad slow, probably because I’m not used to
hearing all of the punctuation read out.

I’m impressed with the audio quality and the sync, considering that this
was done based on timing information and not recorded all together;
looks like the workflow really works in practise.

I’m looking forward to even more videos :)

--
Ricardo

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-23 15:07     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-23 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Guix!

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't expect such a long thread of mails
and being happy with them :)

As regards Paul's voice, I believe it depends on each person. For me
it is a little slow but also very clear and kind of calm. And I guess
the timing is based on the recordings that I did with my voice, so
sorry for that :/

Like Gábor said, this is a temporary upload for the community. I will
be uploading the next videos ASAP, they are already made and they
exist, but I want to polish the matching of the CLI session videos as
much as possible with the audios. Picky Laura. I'll let you know when
I finish uploading all of them.

Having more topics to cover with videos is great! We should need to
change the 3 min constrain, please :P

@ 2019-05-23 23:29       ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-05-23 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> Thanks for the feedback, I didn't expect such a long thread of mails
> and being happy with them :)
>
> As regards Paul's voice, I believe it depends on each person. For me
> it is a little slow but also very clear and kind of calm. And I guess
> the timing is based on the recordings that I did with my voice, so
> sorry for that :/

I should be clear that I think Paul did a fantastic job.  (Thanks Paul!)
The pace in general is quite nice.  Like you say, it is very calm and
easy to follow.  It was only the URL part that felt a little slow.

> Like Gábor said, this is a temporary upload for the community. I will
> be uploading the next videos ASAP, they are already made and they
> exist, but I want to polish the matching of the CLI session videos as
> much as possible with the audios. Picky Laura. I'll let you know when
> I finish uploading all of them.

I for one am glad that “Picky Laura” is on the job and producing such
great results!  :)  I’m looking forward to the next videos.

-- Tim

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-24  1:25         ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-05-24  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Seconding Tim’s sentiments :)  I think the videos will be fantastic
resources for newcomers and Guix enthusiasts in general, and we can’t
thank Laura, Paul, and everyone else involved enough!  I for one can’t
wait to find some free time on my hands to binge-watch the whole series.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-24 13:29         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-05-24 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy Sample; +Cc: guix-devel

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> writes:

>> As regards Paul's voice, I believe it depends on each person. For me
>> it is a little slow but also very clear and kind of calm. And I guess
>> the timing is based on the recordings that I did with my voice, so
>> sorry for that :/
>
> I should be clear that I think Paul did a fantastic job.  (Thanks Paul!)
> The pace in general is quite nice.  Like you say, it is very calm and
> easy to follow.  It was only the URL part that felt a little slow.

I agree with everything you wrote, Tim.  Laura and Paul have done an
excellent job.

When I originally drafted the project I wasn’t sure if and how we’d
bridge the gap between idea and watchable video with narration, but you
worked around all of the little problems that come with translating an
idea into an actual workflow, which is really great.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-24 13:37       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-05-24 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> writes:

> Having more topics to cover with videos is great! We should need to
> change the 3 min constrain, please :P

I think the 3 min constrain is necessary to make sure the videos are
focussing on the essential.  If we find that 3 mins isn’t enough for a
topic, then the topic may be segmented into smaller topics.

For people like me, watching a video requires a leap of faith: will this
be a waste of time?  Will it be 3 minutes of introductions that I don’t
need, followed by 2 minutes of shout outs to friends, and end with 2
minutes of variants of “smash the subscribe button” …?  Will this be a
seminar-style talk that I need to pay close attention to?

At 3 minutes the cost of a bad or irrelevant video is very small to an
interested person.  If by 30 seconds the video fails to indicate that
it’s going to address what the person is looking for the loss of time
is still acceptable.

Yes, the same can be said for 3:30min, 4mins, 4:30mins… which I think
are valid durations when the topic requires a little more time and
cannot reasonably be split into smaller chunks.  But let’s try to aim
for 3 minutes.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-25 19:11         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-25 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hey Hey!

Thanks for the compliments to everyone :)

Working with Paul during the last months has been great and Gábor,
Björn, Ricardo and Ludo had  played a very important role while I was
an intern too ;) . And also some Guix folks.
Ok, let's keep the 3 min constraint for future videos and maybe split
them into several, like we did with the ones that needed more time?
Like I said, I will answer back when all the videos are uploaded, but
if you take a look before that you will see some of them before that.

@ 2019-05-28 14:52           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-28 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> writes:
>
>>> As regards Paul's voice, I believe it depends on each person. For me
>>> it is a little slow but also very clear and kind of calm. And I guess
>>> the timing is based on the recordings that I did with my voice, so
>>> sorry for that :/
>>
>> I should be clear that I think Paul did a fantastic job.  (Thanks Paul!)
>> The pace in general is quite nice.  Like you say, it is very calm and
>> easy to follow.  It was only the URL part that felt a little slow.
>
> I agree with everything you wrote, Tim.  Laura and Paul have done an
> excellent job.

Agreed!  The result is really nice, and the workflow you came up with is
a nice piece of engineering, too.

Where should we go from there?

There are several tasks that could be started (translating, adding color
output), but we could also go ahead and publish them on the web site,
WDYT?  Also, how should we publish them: once per week, say, and then
have a dedicate section of the web site?  What are your thoughts on
this?

Kudos Laura & Paul!

Ludo’.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-28 18:20             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi/Hallo/Hola/Bonsoir :)

All the videos are ready now :)

> Agreed!  The result is really nice, and the workflow you came up with is
> a nice piece of engineering, too.
Thank you very much Ludo :)

> Where should we go from there?
>
> There are several tasks that could be started (translating, adding color
> output), but we could also go ahead and publish them on the web site,
> WDYT?
Yes, I have not forgotten about the coloring task, but I also wanted
to finish them ASAP. Another pending task is creating the subtitles.
As regards Spanish translations, I don't remember very well the
process -if it goes to the translation project or not - but I can
volunteer if its necessary, using as much neutral Spanish as I can.
>Also, how should we publish them: once per week, say, and then
> have a dedicate section of the web site?  What are your thoughts on
> this?
I haven't thought about it, maybe now that they are ready we could let
the community give their feedback for the following days? What about
uploading them to the final site? Do we have to speak to someone else?

> Kudos Laura & Paul!
I am cc'ing Paul :)

@ 2019-05-30 16:16               ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-30 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi All,

> Kudos Laura & Paul!
> I am cc'ing Paul :)

It is good to hear that the end result is being well received :)

I am thinking of adding a CREDITS file to the repository, primarily to
acknowledge the help given by the sound engineer.  The use of the
studio equipment and the editing work made this part much easier than
it would otherwise have been.

Also, if all the other contributors would like to add in a record for
their work on workflow design, scripting, slide production and so on it
would help future contributors understand how the videos are made.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-05-31 21:27               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-31 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

¡Hola!  :-)

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> skribis:

>> Agreed!  The result is really nice, and the workflow you came up with is
>> a nice piece of engineering, too.
> Thank you very much Ludo :)
>>
>> Where should we go from there?
>>
>> There are several tasks that could be started (translating, adding color
>> output), but we could also go ahead and publish them on the web site,
>> WDYT?
> Yes, I have not forgotten about the coloring task, but I also wanted
> to finish them ASAP. Another pending task is creating the subtitles.
> As regards Spanish translations, I don't remember very well the
> process -if it goes to the translation project or not - but I can
> volunteer if its necessary, using as much neutral Spanish as I can.

Alright.

>>Also, how should we publish them: once per week, say, and then
>> have a dedicate section of the web site?  What are your thoughts on
>> this?
> I haven't thought about it, maybe now that they are ready we could let
> the community give their feedback for the following days?

I agree; I’m just trying to stir it up so we start thinking about a
plan.  :-)

> What about uploading them to the final site? Do we have to speak to
> someone else?

IIRC, Mark H Weaver (Cc’d) uploaded videos to audio-video.gnu.org in the
past.  Mark, would you be able/willing to upload these videos when
they’re final?

Someone else could eventually apply for membership to the ‘audio-video’
group on Savannah so that Mark is not a single point of failure.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-06-01 17:47                 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-06-01 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi,

> IIRC, Mark H Weaver (Cc'd) uploaded videos to audio-video.gnu.org in the
> past.  Mark, would you be able/willing to upload these videos when
> they're final?

Yes, will do.

    Thanks,
      Mark

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-06-03  0:46                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-06-03  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 1:16 PM Paul Garlick
<pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of adding a CREDITS file to the repository, primarily to
> acknowledge the help given by the sound engineer.  The use of the
> studio equipment and the editing work made this part much easier than
> it would otherwise have been.
Yes, sure! I also agree that it is important giving credits :)
Would you mind asking them if they want to have their name there?

@ 2019-06-03  5:58                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-06-03  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Bonjour ;)

> I agree; I’m just trying to stir it up so we start thinking about a
> plan.  :-)
Great!

> Someone else could eventually apply for membership to the ‘audio-video’
> group on Savannah so that Mark is not a single point of failure.
Would you like me to do so? It would be a pleasure for me :)

@ 2019-06-05 13:24                   ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-06-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Yes, sure! I also agree that it is important giving credits :)
> Would you mind asking them if they want to have their name there?

I have made a start and pushed a new CREDITS file to the repository.
There are entries in the list for the contributors that I know about
(thanks, Ricardo!) but I suspect that there has been more work done
than I am aware of.

Would you like to take a look and fill in the gaps?  I have seen the
names of Gabor and Bjorn in the logs, for example.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-06-05 22:10 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-06-05 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

On Wed, 22 May 2019 14:06:17 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I have created the site: https://archive.org/details/guix-videos
> where I will be pushing  the documentation videos that I created
> during my internship and that Paul helped a a lot sharing their voice
> and knowledge about video creation to enhance them.
>
> I appreciate feedback :)

Hi,

this is fantastic news!

Thank you Laura for continuously caring about the videos even after
your internship ended!

Thank you Paul for giving your nice, calm English voice to the videos
and in general your video-knowledge.

Björn

* Re: Documentation videos are being uploaded!
@ 2019-06-06 14:18   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-06-06 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi!
> Thank you Laura for continuously caring about the videos even after
> your internship ended!
Of course Bruno :) I said I would go on as a contributor and here I am ;)

Alles gute!
Laura