unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Closing submission incomplete since years?
       [not found]       ` <871qf7xadm.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2023-09-11 11:23         ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-09-11 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, Mathieu Othacehe, guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

For reference [1].

On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 at 18:14, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On a related note sometimes we have WIP kind of work that stays on our
> tracker with deeper questions / problems to solve, and I don't think
> it's fair for our reviewers to have these linger on for years on the
> tracker (they take a lot of time to get familiar with, and would then
> require quit more investment to be completed, sometimes with the
> original submitter no longer active in the discussion) -- I think for
> these situations it's fair to close it.  An interested person can
> hopefully find these in the archives and resume work on it if they are
> so inclined.

I am more or less agree.  Especially for keeping the tracker
healthy. However, I am missing how “an interested person can hopefully
find these in the archives and resume work on it if they are so
inclined.“

Maybe we could have another usertags for tagging this case or another
tag.  Else, it appears to me unpractical to find these in the archives.
Well, I personally do not even know how or where to start for finding
these.

Exercise: find the patches that someone pinged their status from the 10
Years of Guix event and another person then closed. :-)

    Found it?  If no,

    Hint 1: someone was me. ;-)

    Found it?  If no,

    Hint 2: another person was you. ;-)

    Found it?  If no,

    Hint 3: it was about elasticsearch.

    https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch

    Found it?  If no,

    Hint 4: tag ’moreinfo’.

Well, if just marked as done, then it appears to me unpractical to find
these in the archives.

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#31444] 'guix health': a tool to report vulnerable packages
Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
Sat, 09 Sep 2023 18:14:13 -0400
id:871qf7xadm.fsf@gmail.com
https://yhetil.org/guix/871qf7xadm.fsf@gmail.com
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/871qf7xadm.fsf@gmail.com

* Re: Closing submission incomplete since years?
@ 2023-09-11 17:54           ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-09-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier
  Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus, Mathieu Othacehe,
	guix-devel

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> For reference [1].
>
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 at 18:14, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On a related note sometimes we have WIP kind of work that stays on our
>> tracker with deeper questions / problems to solve, and I don't think
>> it's fair for our reviewers to have these linger on for years on the
>> tracker (they take a lot of time to get familiar with, and would then
>> require quit more investment to be completed, sometimes with the
>> original submitter no longer active in the discussion) -- I think for
>> these situations it's fair to close it.  An interested person can
>> hopefully find these in the archives and resume work on it if they are
>> so inclined.
>
> I am more or less agree.  Especially for keeping the tracker
> healthy. However, I am missing how “an interested person can hopefully
> find these in the archives and resume work on it if they are so
> inclined.“
>
> Maybe we could have another usertags for tagging this case or another
> tag.  Else, it appears to me unpractical to find these in the archives.
> Well, I personally do not even know how or where to start for finding
> these.
>
> Exercise: find the patches that someone pinged their status from the 10
> Years of Guix event and another person then closed. :-)
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 1: someone was me. ;-)
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 2: another person was you. ;-)
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 3: it was about elasticsearch.
>
>     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch
>
>     Found it?  If no,
>
>     Hint 4: tag ’moreinfo’.
>
> Well, if just marked as done, then it appears to me unpractical to find
> these in the archives.

If you want to package elasticsearch, know it's not in the Guix as we
speak, and see it as the first item when browsing
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch, I have some hope
that someone could find it.  Not to mention search engines, which are
also good at this.

That said, I get your point.  Perhaps a 'rejected' user tag would be
useful?  I doubt most users would know to use them though... but maybe
if it's exposed via Mumi it could be helpful.

Maxim

* Re: Closing submission incomplete since years?
@ 2023-09-11 18:17             ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-09-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer
  Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus, Mathieu Othacehe,
	guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 at 13:54, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to package elasticsearch, know it's not in the Guix as we
> speak, and see it as the first item when browsing
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch, I have some hope
> that someone could find it.  Not to mention search engines, which are
> also good at this.

Well, maybe Xapian is enough?

> That said, I get your point.  Perhaps a 'rejected' user tag would be
> useful?  I doubt most users would know to use them though... but maybe
> if it's exposed via Mumi it could be helpful.

Well, if there is a tag and it is documented in the manual, then I think
it is easier.  For example, assume ’moreinfo’ is this tag.  And consider
I am interested in looking for some packages but I am hesitant about the
name and let say I think it is phylogeny.  Then:

    https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=moreinfo+phylogeny

and I find ’mrbayes’ which is the one I wanted.  So I resume.

Well, instead of ’rejected’, I propose ’unfinished’ or ’incomplete’ or
reuse ’moreinfo’ for that.  I feel the ’rejected’ as “no way!” when it
is not the idea.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Closing submission incomplete since years?
@ 2023-09-11 20:43               ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-09-11 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier
  Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Ricardo Wurmus, Mathieu Othacehe,
	guix-devel

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 at 13:54, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you want to package elasticsearch, know it's not in the Guix as we
>> speak, and see it as the first item when browsing
>> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=elasticsearch, I have some hope
>> that someone could find it.  Not to mention search engines, which are
>> also good at this.
>
> Well, maybe Xapian is enough?
>

>> That said, I get your point.  Perhaps a 'rejected' user tag would be
>> useful?  I doubt most users would know to use them though... but maybe
>> if it's exposed via Mumi it could be helpful.
>
> Well, if there is a tag and it is documented in the manual, then I think
> it is easier.  For example, assume ’moreinfo’ is this tag.  And consider
> I am interested in looking for some packages but I am hesitant about the
> name and let say I think it is phylogeny.  Then:
>
>     https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=moreinfo+phylogeny
>
> and I find ’mrbayes’ which is the one I wanted.  So I resume.
>
> Well, instead of ’rejected’, I propose ’unfinished’ or ’incomplete’ or
> reuse ’moreinfo’ for that.  I feel the ’rejected’ as “no way!” when it
> is not the idea.

I like the user tag 'incomplete', as moreinfo would yield many false
positives, I think.

Maxim