unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* rustup & cargo
@ 2018-10-01  7:56 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-01  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all, I am curious about the status of providing rustup
toolchain
management and cargo for guix. I work often in rust, and these
tools are
pretty essential. I might be interested in helping with the
packaging
here, but I would like to know what the Guix community has on this
so
far.

Best

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member

* Re: rustup & cargo
@ 2018-10-14  0:42 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-10-14  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Brett!

Welcome!  I'm also curious about the situation with Rust.  I'm learning
Rust because I find it interesting, and I use GuixSD, so here my two
interests (Rust and Guix) overlap.

Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi all, I am curious about the status of providing rustup toolchain
> management and cargo for guix. I work often in rust, and these tools
> are
> pretty essential. I might be interested in helping with the packaging
> here, but I would like to know what the Guix community has on this so
> far.

I haven't done much with Rust yet, but I am able to compile programs and
run them using the Guix-installed Rust compiler.  I haven't tried using
rustup to install or upgrade Rust, though; I think the way to install
and upgrade Rust via Guix is to use Guix, not rustup, but I could be
mistaken.  I have no idea what the status of cargo is, but when I built
a project the other day, it successfully downloaded a bunch of crates
and built the code, so presumably it's working.

If you search the email list, you'll find some other interesting
discussions about Rust.  One problem we have is that Rust is not yet
fully bootstrapped, but that's somewhat orthogonal to using Rust.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=rust&submit=Search%21&idxname=guix-devel&max=20&result=normal&sort=score

Glad to have you here!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: rustup & cargo
@ 2018-10-14  1:30   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-14  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Chris Marusich writes:

> Hi Brett!
>
> Welcome!  I'm also curious about the situation with Rust.  I'm
> learning
> Rust because I find it interesting, and I use GuixSD, so here my
> two
> interests (Rust and Guix) overlap.
>
> Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hi all, I am curious about the status of providing rustup
>> toolchain
>> management and cargo for guix. I work often in rust, and these
>> tools
>> are
>> pretty essential. I might be interested in helping with the
>> packaging
>> here, but I would like to know what the Guix community has on
>> this so
>> far.
>
> I haven't done much with Rust yet, but I am able to compile
> programs and
> run them using the Guix-installed Rust compiler.  I haven't
> tried using
> rustup to install or upgrade Rust, though; I think the way to
> install
> and upgrade Rust via Guix is to use Guix, not rustup, but I
> could be
> mistaken.  I have no idea what the status of cargo is, but when
> I built
> a project the other day, it successfully downloaded a bunch of
> crates
> and built the code, so presumably it's working.
>
> If you search the email list, you'll find some other interesting
> discussions about Rust.  One problem we have is that Rust is not
> yet
> fully bootstrapped, but that's somewhat orthogonal to using
> Rust.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=rust&submit=Search%21&idxname=guix-devel&max=20&result=normal&sort=score
>
> Glad to have you here!

Thank you, Chris! I, too, have been working with Guix's packaging
of
Rust. However, what I wish was available was a nightly build of
the rust
branch. I know it is likely possible to make a guile definition
for
this, I just have not gotten to it yet. That was mostly my inquiry
as to
using rustup.

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member
https://gnu.org/s/guix/ | https://emacs.org

* Re: rustup & cargo
@ 2018-10-14  6:47     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-10-14  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: guix-devel

Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:

> [W]hat I wish was available was a nightly build of the rust branch.

It might be possible to have the Guix build farm build the rust branch.
I'm not sure how much load it would add to the build farm, though.
Maybe someone else on the list would know more?

Another possibility would be to set up your own build farm (Cuirass), of
course, but that's a significant amount of effort.  I'd like to do that
eventually, but I haven't found the time or hardware for it yet.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: rustup & cargo
@ 2018-10-15 10:06       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-15 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> [W]hat I wish was available was a nightly build of the rust branch.
>
> It might be possible to have the Guix build farm build the rust branch.
> I'm not sure how much load it would add to the build farm, though.
> Maybe someone else on the list would know more?

Building Rust seems to take a lot of time, so I’m not sure we could
afford building daily Rust snapshots on our build farm.

Ludo’.

* Re: rustup & cargo
@ 2018-10-15 14:16         ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2018-10-15 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:06:54PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > It might be possible to have the Guix build farm build the rust branch.
> > I'm not sure how much load it would add to the build farm, though.
> > Maybe someone else on the list would know more?
>
> Building Rust seems to take a lot of time, so I’m not sure we could
> afford building daily Rust snapshots on our build farm.

If we were to build nightlies for a number of compilers/interpreters
it would be a really good 'marketing' move. Guix makes this feasible
and is a contrast with the typical scripting hell.

This would be particularly interesting for a number of upcoming
languages: Rust, Julia, Elixir, D...

Developers are a great target audience because they can write packages
in turn.

Maybe we should dedicate a machine for this. Or get one of the CI
websites to sponsor it using cloud services. I am happy to provide a
build VM to build nightly D compilers gdc and ldc. That way we could
start farming out 'specials'. Something to discuss in Brussels?

Pj.