unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Order of listed packages
@ 2013-09-22 13:29 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-09-22 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Currently,
   guix package -I
lists the latest installed package first, which often ends up scrolling
out of the window. However, this is most of the time where "things happen",
new packages get installed or rolled back.

So I would suggest to revert the order of packages, listing them from the
first to the most recently installed. The same applies probably to
--list-generations.

What do you think?

Andreas

* Re: Order of listed packages
@ 2013-09-22 19:18 ` Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2013-09-22 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 09/22/2013 03:29 PM, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Currently,
>     guix package -I
> lists the latest installed package first, which often ends up scrolling
> out of the window. However, this is most of the time where "things happen",
> new packages get installed or rolled back.

Honestly, I'd like to have them listed alphabetically.

Cyril.

* Re: Order of listed packages
@ 2013-09-22 19:41 ` Nikita Karetnikov
From: Nikita Karetnikov @ 2013-09-22 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

> So I would suggest to revert the order of packages, listing them from
> the first to the most recently installed.

I agree.

> The same applies probably to --list-generations.

‘--list-generations’ already does this.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Order of listed packages
@ 2013-09-22 19:43   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2013-09-22 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 09:18:50PM +0200, Cyril Roelandt wrote:
> On 09/22/2013 03:29 PM, Andreas Enge wrote:
> >Currently,
> >    guix package -I
> >lists the latest installed package first, which often ends up scrolling
> >out of the window. However, this is most of the time where "things happen",
> >new packages get installed or rolled back.
> Honestly, I'd like to have them listed alphabetically.

But then how do you know what the effect of --roll-back will be?
To get them in alphabetical order, a simple solution is to pipe through
sort.

Andreas

* Re: Order of listed packages
@ 2013-09-22 19:48   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-09-22 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikita Karetnikov; +Cc: guix-devel

Nikita Karetnikov <nikita@karetnikov.org> skribis:

>> So I would suggest to revert the order of packages, listing them from
>> the first to the most recently installed.
>
> I agree.

Me too.

I’ll push the obvious fix in a moment.

Ludo’.

* Re: Order of listed packages
@ 2013-09-22 19:51   ` Nikita Karetnikov
From: Nikita Karetnikov @ 2013-09-22 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

>> The same applies probably to --list-generations.

> ‘--list-generations’ already does this.

Oh, I was talking about generations, so your argument is valid.  I agree
with this part as well, but let’s wait for other opinions.

@ 2013-09-22 19:58     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-09-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 09:18:50PM +0200, Cyril Roelandt wrote:
>> On 09/22/2013 03:29 PM, Andreas Enge wrote:
>> >Currently,
>> >    guix package -I
>> >lists the latest installed package first, which often ends up scrolling
>> >out of the window. However, this is most of the time where "things happen",
>> >new packages get installed or rolled back.
>> Honestly, I'd like to have them listed alphabetically.
>
> But then how do you know what the effect of --roll-back will be?
> To get them in alphabetical order, a simple solution is to pipe through
> sort.

Agreed (‘sort -k1’).

Ludo’.