unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* The art of guessing a packaged downgrade version of a package
@ 2016-01-01 20:35 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2016-01-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

(trying to get gnupg to work knowing that ludo runs some 2.0 version)
~/src/guix$ guix package -i gnupg:2.0.0 -r gnupg
guix package: error: package `gnupg-2.1.10' lacks output `2.0.0'

I would like to improve this command by making it either show me the
valid outputs (and optionally choosing one of them to install) for this
specific package OR hint me about running:
guix package --show=gnupg
~$ guix package --show=gnupg
name: gnupg
version: 2.1.10
outputs: out

name: gnupg
version: 2.0.29
outputs: out

name: gnupg
version: 1.4.20
outputs: out

to get the information I need.

I found the relevant code in:
../gnu/packages.scm:381:        (leave (_ "package `~a' lacks output
`~a'~%")

To be able myself to improve this snippet I would have to learn a lot
more Guile first. :p

Anybody care to help?

swedebugia

* Re: The art of guessing a packaged downgrade version of a package
@ 2016-01-01 21:09 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-01-01 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 09:35:40PM +0100, swedebugia@riseup.net wrote:
> (trying to get gnupg to work knowing that ludo runs some 2.0 version)
> ~/src/guix$ guix package -i gnupg:2.0.0 -r gnupg
> guix package: error: package `gnupg-2.1.10' lacks output `2.0.0'

Did you try `guix package -i gnupg-2.0.29`? That should put the 2.0
series gnupg in your profile. You can even specify just 'gnupg-2.0' and
Guix will pick the lastest available gnupg in the '2.0' series.

> I would like to improve this command by making it either show me the valid
> outputs (and optionally choosing one of them to install) for this specific
> package OR hint me about running:
> guix package --show=gnupg

I see the value of hints, but never an interactive command as suggested
by a menu of valid outputs. Interactive commands break automation.

@ 2016-01-02 16:41   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2016-01-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2016-01-01 22:09, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 09:35:40PM +0100, swedebugia@riseup.net wrote:
>> (trying to get gnupg to work knowing that ludo runs some 2.0 version)
>> ~/src/guix$ guix package -i gnupg:2.0.0 -r gnupg
>> guix package: error: package `gnupg-2.1.10' lacks output `2.0.0'
>
> Did you try `guix package -i gnupg-2.0.29`? That should put the 2.0
> series gnupg in your profile. You can even specify just 'gnupg-2.0' and
> Guix will pick the lastest available gnupg in the '2.0' series.
>

>> I would like to improve this command by making it either show me the
>> valid
>> outputs (and optionally choosing one of them to install) for this
>> specific
>> package OR hint me about running:
>> guix package --show=gnupg
>
> I see the value of hints, but never an interactive command as suggested
> by a menu of valid outputs. Interactive commands break automation.

Okay. I added some hints to the error messages and will submit a patch
soon.

* Re: The art of guessing a packaged downgrade version of a package
@ 2016-01-02 20:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-02 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia@riseup.net skribis:

> ~/src/guix$ guix package -i gnupg:2.0.0 -r gnupg
> guix package: error: package `gnupg-2.1.10' lacks output `2.0.0'

The colon sign is (currently) used to delimit output names, not version
numbers.  To select a version, use “gnupg-2.0” as Leo suggests.  See the
documentation of --install at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html>.

Ludo’.