unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* CLI flag to ignore guix channel
@ 2022-11-04  2:51 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-04  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi,

I'd like a CLI flag to be able to ignore channels.

Where should I look if I'd like to implement something like this?

I prefer not to edit and comment out channels in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm

I'd prefer to do the following

guix import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r --ignore-channel=guixrus

WDYT

* Re: CLI flag to ignore guix channel
@ 2023-01-27 17:46 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Guix Devel

Hi,

On jeu., 03 nov. 2022 at 21:51, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> I'd like a CLI flag to be able to ignore channels.
>
> Where should I look if I'd like to implement something like this?
>
> I prefer not to edit and comment out channels in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm
>
> I'd prefer to do the following
>
> guix import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r --ignore-channel=guixrus

Well, this would be nice but we have nothing in this direction.

From my point of view, the best is to have several channels.scm files
where some or other channels are defined.  Then, you switch using “guix
time-machine”, for example:

    guix time-machine -C path/to/channels-wo-guixrus.scm \
         -- import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r

HTH,
simon

* Re: CLI flag to ignore guix channel
@ 2023-01-28 19:55   ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-01-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: jgart, guix-devel

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On jeu., 03 nov. 2022 at 21:51, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
>
>> I'd like a CLI flag to be able to ignore channels.
>>
>> Where should I look if I'd like to implement something like this?
>>
>> I prefer not to edit and comment out channels in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm
>>
>> I'd prefer to do the following
>>
>> guix import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r --ignore-channel=guixrus
>
> Well, this would be nice but we have nothing in this direction.
>
> From my point of view, the best is to have several channels.scm files
> where some or other channels are defined.  Then, you switch using “guix
> time-machine”, for example:
>
>     guix time-machine -C path/to/channels-wo-guixrus.scm \
>          -- import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r
>
> HTH,
> simon

How fast is that?  If new commits come in during time-machine
invocations, won't it keep doing new builds of guix?

* Re: CLI flag to ignore guix channel
@ 2023-01-30 10:40     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-30 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: jgart, guix-devel

Hi,

On sam., 28 janv. 2023 at 20:55, Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

>>> guix import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r --ignore-channel=guixrus

[...]

>>     guix time-machine -C path/to/channels-wo-guixrus.scm \
>>          -- import crate behemoth-rust-package-foo -r

> How fast is that?  If new commits come in during time-machine
> invocations, won't it keep doing new builds of guix?

It depends what the file ’path/to/channels-wo-guixrus.scm’ would contain. :-)

My point was just to say that this speculative “ignore-channels” could
already be emulated using “guix time-machine”.  From my understanding of
what this speculative “ignore-channels” would do.

BTW, please note that this operation “ignore-channel” would be costly
because at least one “Computing Guix derivation” is required.

Cheers,
simon