unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [GSoC] Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd
@ 2014-03-11 10:26 Manolis Ragkousis
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2014-03-11 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel, bug-hurd

Hello Guix , Hello Hurd

Most of you already know me from the irc ,lurking around as phant0mas and
that I am working towards porting Guix to GNU/Hurd.

In order to be able to do that I have already packaged mach headers ,hurd
headers and mig and I am currently working on packaging and cross-building
hurd's glibc with libpthread as an addon.

Here is a simple roadmap explaing what is there to be done.

1) Successfully cross-build the hurd's glibc
2) Make the appropriate changes  to cross-base.scm so the toolchain will
use the new glibc when hurd is targeted with "guix build --target=i686-gnu
bootstrap-binaries"
3) Successfully cross-build Guix's bootstrap binaries. This will be the
first milestone.
4) At this point we can try bootstraping guix in a native Hurd system while
starting modifying  the (gnu system) Guix modules in order to add support
for a GNU/Hurd system.
5) After adding support for a Hurd system and configuring system packages
,services , etc ,we could create a complete VM image of a GNU/Hurd system.

When we have that last one ,as it was pointed out from Thomas Schwinge in
the irc, we'll be easily able to change some detail in, say, glibc, rebuild
the whole system, and see whether it still works.

And because I am an eligible student I would like to apply as a GSoC
student working on this.

I am reading any available documentation or existing source that can help
me and I would really appreciate any suggestions ,corrections or questions
that can help me.

Manolis Ragkousis

* Re: [GSoC] Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd
@ 2014-03-11 11:19 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manolis Ragkousis; +Cc: Guix-devel, bug-hurd

Hello!

Manolis Ragkousis <manolis837@gmail.com> skribis:

> Here is a simple roadmap explaing what is there to be done.
>
> 1) Successfully cross-build the hurd's glibc
> 2) Make the appropriate changes  to cross-base.scm so the toolchain will
> use the new glibc when hurd is targeted with "guix build --target=i686-gnu
> bootstrap-binaries"
> 3) Successfully cross-build Guix's bootstrap binaries. This will be the
> first milestone.
> 4) At this point we can try bootstraping guix in a native Hurd system while
> starting modifying  the (gnu system) Guix modules in order to add support
> for a GNU/Hurd system.
> 5) After adding support for a Hurd system and configuring system packages
> ,services , etc ,we could create a complete VM image of a GNU/Hurd system.

Sounds like a good plan!

I can see really 3 milestones:

  1. Getting cross-compilation support to i686-gnu in order with Guix.
  2. Getting native compilation on i686-gnu in order.
  3. Building a bootable system or VM image.

You’re already on your way for item #1.  As you noticed, that’s already
non-trivial work, for various reasons.

> And because I am an eligible student I would like to apply as a GSoC
> student working on this.

Good.  Make sure to apply in google-melange too.

I can mentor the project, but I would really like someone from the Hurd
side to co-mentor.  Any volunteer?  (This is essentially already the
case in practice, but we could make it official.)

Thanks!

Ludo’.

PS: Please avoid HTML in messages.

* Re: [GSoC] Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd
@ 2014-03-12 23:38   ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2014-03-12 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, bug-hurd, Manolis Ragkousis

Ludovic Courtès, le Tue 11 Mar 2014 12:19:44 +0100, a écrit :
> I can mentor the project, but I would really like someone from the Hurd
> side to co-mentor.  Any volunteer?  (This is essentially already the
> case in practice, but we could make it official.)

I can co-mentor, but I guess Richard will be of very good help too.

Samuel

* Re: [GSoC] Porting Guix to GNU/Hurd
@ 2014-03-13 13:33     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manolis Ragkousis; +Cc: Guix-devel, bug-hurd

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@gnu.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès, le Tue 11 Mar 2014 12:19:44 +0100, a écrit :
>> I can mentor the project, but I would really like someone from the Hurd
>> side to co-mentor.  Any volunteer?  (This is essentially already the
>> case in practice, but we could make it official.)
>
> I can co-mentor, but I guess Richard will be of very good help too.

Would be great to have one of you, thanks!

Ludo’.