unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Call for testing : guix-tox, a version of tox that uses "guix environment".
@ 2015-07-10  0:46 Cyril Roelandt
From: Cyril Roelandt @ 2015-07-10  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey!

Those of who you write Python code probably know tox[1], a tool used to
manage tests/builds for Python. It uses virtualenv[2], which allows
developers to create "isolated" environments and install packages
without polluting their systems.

I hacked tox to replace virtualenv with "guix environment". The code is
available at https://git.framasoft.org/Steap/guix-tox , in the
"guix-tox" branch (the master branch is just a mirror of tox). Note that
I will probably use "git push -f" on this branch :) I explained the
details in README.rst.

If there are Python developers on this list, I would love to know what
they think about this. I intend to propose a 20 minute talk about
guix-tox at the next PyConFR.

print("Happy Hacking!")

Cyril.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/tox
[2] https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/

* Re: Call for testing : guix-tox, a version of tox that uses "guix environment".
@ 2015-07-10  1:38 ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2015-07-10  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Roelandt; +Cc: guix-devel

Cyril Roelandt writes:

> Hey!
>
> Those of who you write Python code probably know tox[1], a tool used to
> manage tests/builds for Python. It uses virtualenv[2], which allows
> developers to create "isolated" environments and install packages
> without polluting their systems.
>
> I hacked tox to replace virtualenv with "guix environment". The code is
> available at https://git.framasoft.org/Steap/guix-tox , in the
> "guix-tox" branch (the master branch is just a mirror of tox). Note that
> I will probably use "git push -f" on this branch :) I explained the
> details in README.rst.
>
> If there are Python developers on this list, I would love to know what
> they think about this. I intend to propose a 20 minute talk about
> guix-tox at the next PyConFR.
>
> print("Happy Hacking!")
>
> Cyril.
>

> [1] https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/tox
> [2] https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/

This is great!  I've also been very interested in "guix environment" as
a universal virtualenv.  Replacing tox is an excellent example/usage!

Main challenge right now is getting enough python packages (not to
mention all those javascript dependencies...) packaged to be usable for
many things tox is used for.  But that's a more general problem right
now! :)

Hack on,
 - Chris

* Re: Call for testing : guix-tox, a version of tox that uses "guix environment".
@ 2015-07-10  6:24   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-07-10  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber
  Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

On 2015-07-10 03:38, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Cyril Roelandt writes:
>
>> Hey!
>>
>> Those of who you write Python code probably know tox[1], a tool used
>> manage tests/builds for Python. It uses virtualenv[2], which allows
>> developers to create "isolated" environments and install packages
>> without polluting their systems.
>>
>> I hacked tox to replace virtualenv with "guix environment". The code
>> is
>> available at https://git.framasoft.org/Steap/guix-tox , in the
>> "guix-tox" branch (the master branch is just a mirror of tox). Note
>> that
>> I will probably use "git push -f" on this branch :) I explained the
>> details in README.rst.
>>
>> If there are Python developers on this list, I would love to know what
>> they think about this.

This is great! I'll have a look at it this week end.

>> I intend to propose a 20 minute talk about
>> guix-tox at the next PyConFR.

Nice!

> This is great!  I've also been very interested in "guix environment" as
> a universal virtualenv.  Replacing tox is an excellent example/usage!

I wondering whether it is possible to use the same recipe for `guix
environment` and `guix container`. The idea behind that is that one can
use environment for dev and container for deployment.

* Re: Call for testing : guix-tox, a version of tox that uses "guix environment".
@ 2015-07-10 17:36     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-07-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+amirouche=hypermove.net

Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche@hypermove.net> skribis:

> On 2015-07-10 03:38, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:

[...]

>>> I intend to propose a 20 minute talk about
>>> guix-tox at the next PyConFR.
>
> Nice!

\o/

>> This is great!  I've also been very interested in "guix environment" as
>> a universal virtualenv.  Replacing tox is an excellent example/usage!
>
> I wondering whether it is possible to use the same recipe for `guix
> environment` and `guix container`. The idea behind that is that one
> can use environment for dev and container for deployment.

The patch series that David posted adds a --container option to ‘guix
environment’, so you get isolated containers for free.

Keep up the good work, Cyril! :-)

Ludo’.