unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-09-25  4:53 Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-25  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

FOSDEM Dev track deadline Oct. 9th. The more talk proposals we have
for Guile/Guix, the better:

  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/TalkProposals

If you have an idea for a talk on Guile/Guix, please add it before
coming Monday. Even if you are not sure you can make it. We may find
someone else to give the talk! Dave, how about your static web
publishing system, and the the deployment stuff?

We also need non-Guix talks! How about a Guile talk on monads, or
Guile as part of other GNU projects? The language dev tracks tend to
be interesting, let's make ours exciting!

Pj.

----- Forwarded message from Alasdair G Kergon <agk@fosdem.org> -----

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:14:38 +0100
From: Alasdair G Kergon <agk@fosdem.org>
To: fosdem@lists.fosdem.org
Subject: [FOSDEM] FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation

FOSDEM offers open source and free software developers a place to
meet, share ideas and collaborate.  Renowned for being highly
developer-oriented, the event brings together some 5000+ geeks from
all over the world.

The sixteenth edition will take place on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st
January 2016 at the usual location: ULB Campus Solbosch in Brussels.

We now invite proposals for main track presentations, developer rooms,
stands and lightning talks.

Main Tracks
-----------
Previous editions have featured main tracks centered around security,
operating system development, community building, and many other
topics.  Presentations are expected to be 50 minutes long and should
cater to a varied technical audience.  The conference covers
reasonable travel expenses agreed in advance and arranges
accommodation for accepted main track speakers.

Proposals for main track presentations should be submitted using
Pentabarf:
  https://fosdem.org/submit

This year, submissions will be reviewed in two batches, beginning with
those received by 16 October.

Questions or remarks?  Contact us at program@fosdem.org.

Key dates:
    16 October
       - deadline for first batch of main track proposals

    30 October
       - final deadline for main track proposals

    2 November onwards
       - main track talks announced (in batches)

Developer Rooms
---------------
Developer rooms are assigned to self-organising groups to work
together on open source and free software projects, to discuss topics
relevant to a broader subset of the community, etc.  Content may be
scheduled in any format, subject to approval.  Popular formats include
presentation tracks, hacking sessions and panel discussions.
Proposals involving collaboration across project or domain boundaries
are strongly encouraged.

Developer room proposals should be submitted through the form at
  https://fosdem.org/devroom
which contains further information.

Questions or remarks?  Contact us at devrooms@fosdem.org.

Key dates:
    9 October
       - deadline for developer room proposals

    19 October
       - accepted developer rooms announced

    2 November (or earlier)
       - developer rooms issue Calls for Participation

    18 December (or earlier)
       - developer rooms publish complete schedules

Stands
------
FOSDEM offers open source and free software projects the opportunity
to display their work during the event. At its stand, a project can
share information, demo software, sell merchandise, give away goodies,
and so on, and personally interact with the visitors.

What we offer:

- one 180x80cm table, positioned in one of the buildings with
  developer rooms, for the entire duration of the conference. In some
  cases, a second table may be possible, if you have a good reason to
  need two.
- two chairs per table
- one power socket type C/E (if you require adapters or additional
  sockets, please bring them yourself)
- fast uplink shared wireless Internet access

To apply, please fill out the form at:
  https://fosdem.org/stands
which contains further information.

Questions or remarks?  Contact us at stands@fosdem.org.

Key dates:
    13 November
       - deadline for stand proposals

    30 November
       - accepted stands announced

Lightning talks
---------------
Lighting talks are short - 15 minutes - talks on a wide variety of
topics.  Anyone who has something interesting to say about an open
source or free software topic can apply.  We particularly encourage
topics that do not fit in any of the developer rooms.

Proposals for lightning talks should be submitted using Pentabarf:

  https://fosdem.org/submit

Please select "Lightning Talks" in the "track" field.

Questions or remarks?  Contact us at lightningtalks@fosdem.org.

Key dates:
    27 November
       - deadline for lightning talk proposals

    14 December
       - accepted lightning talks announced

All deadlines are at 23.59 UTC.

----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-09-26  5:22 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-26  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Would it be worth contacting the other GNU projects that use Guile?
Can someone put this announcement on the Guile mailing list?

Pj.

@ 2015-09-26 13:26 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-09-26 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

(+ Cc: guile-user.)

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> FOSDEM Dev track deadline Oct. 9th. The more talk proposals we have
> for Guile/Guix, the better:
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/TalkProposals
>
> If you have an idea for a talk on Guile/Guix, please add it before
> coming Monday. Even if you are not sure you can make it. We may find
> someone else to give the talk! Dave, how about your static web
> publishing system, and the the deployment stuff?
>
> We also need non-Guix talks! How about a Guile talk on monads, or
> Guile as part of other GNU projects? The language dev tracks tend to
> be interesting, let's make ours exciting!

Definitely!  Guile hackers, please consider joining a Guile + Guix
developer track at FOSDEM by giving a talk on your favorite topic!

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-09-26 17:08   ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2015-09-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

If there's interest in it, I signed up for a second talk about expanding
the Guile community, kind of based on my overly-exuberant email to
guile-devel last night.  I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in
that!  But it's something I really care about.

@ 2015-09-26 17:50     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-09-26 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Excellent :)

@ 2015-09-26 18:20     ` Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-09-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Allan Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Christopher Allan Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> If there's interest in it, I signed up for a second talk about expanding
> the Guile community, kind of based on my overly-exuberant email to
> guile-devel last night.  I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in
> that!  But it's something I really care about.

This might only be tangentially related but, since we've touched the
topic of community-expansion...

I think there might be long-term value in Scheme standardization for all
Scheme implementations, and thus Guile.  I've made fine experiences with
R7RS-small so far[0][1][2][3], am trying to steer R7RS-large in a better
direction[4] (any help appreciated), and with a little more work,
standard Scheme might actually become a language essentially as usable
as Python and the like, just needing more libraries uploaded to
snow-fort.org.  Come to think of it, there's already a PostgreSQL
library written in R7RS[5], using SRFI-106 sockets[6].

While drawing in people interested in Guile directly due to their
interest in free software is probably the best thing, gaining less than
zealous appreciators of free software shouldn't hurt either.  It's also
conceivable that young programmers coming to Guile for its technical
merits (i.e. "I'll be able to write cool programs in this") would learn
free software ideals from the community, and come to support them.

If the RnRS ship sinks entirely, or steers in a totally different
direction from Guile, then I'll certainly be with Guile, because ethics
above technology, thus *GNU* Guile above Scheme, but I still think
there's some mutual benefit to be had.

Just my couple cents.

Taylan

[0] https://github.com/taylanub/scheme-srfis
[1] https://github.com/taylanub/scheme-bytestructures
[2] https://github.com/larcenists/larceny/tree/master/tools/R6RS
[3] https://github.com/TaylanUB/srfi-123 (code in srfi/ dir)

[4] http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-126/ and think of working on a
delimited continuations SRFI inspired by Guile's API soon, and more to
come.  (By the way, yes, a new hash tables spec was sadly necessary, but
it just expands the R6RS one really.)

[5] https://github.com/ktakashi/r7rs-postgresql
[6] http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-106/

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-09-28 11:07       ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2015-09-28 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

I think both these topics would be quite interesting.  For the sake of
sharing my previous experience with the FOSDEM application process, we
definitely need to place a heavy emphasis on "technical" talks,
vis-a-vis "community/philosophy" talks — an earlier application for a
"GNU" dev room was turned down in part for its supposed focus on
philosophy and politics.

Don't get me wrong, I for one would love a talk on community expansion,
but we may need to think about the ordering and phrasing in the final
proposal.

HTH,

Alex

@ 2015-10-23 18:49   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-10-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, guile-user

Exciting news!

FOSDEM has approved a GNU Guile devroom. We will have a 80 person room
for half a day on Saturday January 30th. This is absolutely fabulous
as FOSDEM is one of the main FOSS conferences in the world with
thousands of people attending.

We will have a call for participation soon.

For FOSDEM see

  https://fosdem.org/2016/

FOSDEM is fantastic, look at last year's schedule:

  https://archive.fosdem.org/2015/schedule/day/saturday/

There is something for everyone. If you can make it DO.

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-10-23 19:12     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-10-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Note that we will have a Guix meet and talks too.

@ 2015-10-25 22:00     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-10-25 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> FOSDEM has approved a GNU Guile devroom. We will have a 80 person room
> for half a day on Saturday January 30th. This is absolutely fabulous
> as FOSDEM is one of the main FOSS conferences in the world with
> thousands of people attending.

Woohoo!  Exciting news indeed, thanks for working on it!

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-10-31  8:39       ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-10-31  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Submit a talk! Talks can be 15 or 30 minutes w. Q&A. We'll have 3-4
hours to distribute.

# GNU Guile devroom call for talks @FOSDEM 2016

For the first time ever, we have a GNU Guile devroom at FOSDEM on January 30,
2016. The call for talk proposals is open! Important members of the GNU Guile
and GNU Guix community will attend. We are excited because FOSDEM is one of the
most important free software conferences and is hosted annually at [Université libre de
Bruxelles in Brussels,
Belgium](https://fosdem.org/2016/practical/transportation/); the devroom will
host up to 80 people.

Submissions for talks are due on November 30, 2015.

## Topics

GNU Guile is the preferred extension system for the GNU Project which
features an implementation of the Scheme programming language, a dialect of
Lisp. Especially technical talks are invited on topics concerning GNU Guile and
applications that use Guile (such as GNU Guix, Lilypond and Gnucash). In the
talks both experienced Guile programmers and newbies should be addressed.
FOSDEM is a great opportunity to attract people interested in GNU Guile and
Lisp. Examples of (already proposed) talks could be

- Guile programming:
  + functors and monads in Guile
  + composable continuations in Guile
  + POSIX programming in Guile and the FFI
- Web frameworks with GNU Guile
- GNU Guix:
  + GNU/Hurd support in Guix
  + R, Perl, Python and Ruby support in GNU Guix
  + Reproducible pipelines for Guix
  + Guix environments (VM, containers etc.)
- Guile and the network:
  + Software distribution using GNUnet
  + Paving a path to greater network freedom using Guix and Guile

## Submit talk

Feel free to submit your own topic or even run with one of these.  The
most interesting talks will be selected.  Talks are 15 or 30 minutes
(including Q&A; please notify in the application your preference) on
GNU Guile related projects.

Please note that presenting at FOSDEM implies giving permission to be
recorded. The recordings will be published under the same licence as
all FOSDEM content (CC-BY).

Submit your proposal here: https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM16

If you submitted a talk to a previous FOSDEM, you should already have
an account, so make sure that you log in with your existing account.
You should only need to create an account if you have not submitted a
talk to FOSDEM in recent years.  After you have your account
configured (you will receive a confirmation email), create the event,
and click on "Show all" in the top right corner to diplay the full
form. When submitting your talk make doubly sure to select "GNU Guile
devroom" as track, and include the following information:

  * The title and subtitle of your talk
  * A short abstract of one paragraph
  * A longer description if you wish to do so
  * Links to related websites/blogs etc

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-11-09 17:21         ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-11-09 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads-up. Submit your FOSDEM talk to

  https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM16/

with a title and a short description (one paragraph is enough). Add
whether you aim for 15 or 30 minutes.

If you are unsure, ping me directly.

Thanks,

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM 2016: Call for Participation
@ 2015-11-09 17:41           ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2015-11-09 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Oh yes, Guile has the devroom from 10-14 hrs. During lunch we may have
one overlapping hour with the LUA folks - so talks that cross-over
would be interesting too.