unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix world tour
@ 2016-08-30 15:54 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-08-30 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

I had the pleasant surprise to be invited to give a talk about Guix at
the Scheme Workshop in September in Japan:

  http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/

While I was at it, I submitted another talk to the Commercial(!) Users
of Functional Programming conference, which was accepted:

  http://cufp.org/2016/

Both conferences are co-located with the International Conference on
Functional Programming (ICFP):

  http://conf.researchr.org/home/icfp-2016

This is both exciting and intimidating!

If you’re around at that time and would like to chat a bit, let’s do it!

Ludo’.

PS: If you’re giving a talk, workshop or something around Guix, feel
    free to email this list too.  :-)

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-08-30 16:06 ` Alex Sassmannshausen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2016-08-30 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello!
>
> I had the pleasant surprise to be invited to give a talk about Guix at
> the Scheme Workshop in September in Japan:
>
>   http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/
>
> While I was at it, I submitted another talk to the Commercial(!) Users
> of Functional Programming conference, which was accepted:
>
>   http://cufp.org/2016/
>
> Both conferences are co-located with the International Conference on
> Functional Programming (ICFP):
>
>   http://conf.researchr.org/home/icfp-2016
>
> This is both exciting and intimidating!

Wow, that sounds amazing! Congratulations :-)

Alex

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-08-30 16:46 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2016-08-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue 30 Aug 2016 17:54, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I had the pleasant surprise to be invited to give a talk about Guix at
> the Scheme Workshop in September in Japan:
>
>   http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/
>
> While I was at it, I submitted another talk to the Commercial(!) Users
> of Functional Programming conference, which was accepted:
>
>   http://cufp.org/2016/

OMG congratulations!  Enjoy and knock them out!

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-08-31  8:56 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-08-31  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I had the pleasant surprise to be invited to give a talk about Guix at
> the Scheme Workshop in September in Japan:
>
>   http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/
>
> While I was at it, I submitted another talk to the Commercial(!) Users
> of Functional Programming conference, which was accepted:
>
>   http://cufp.org/2016/
>
> Both conferences are co-located with the International Conference on
> Functional Programming (ICFP):
>
>   http://conf.researchr.org/home/icfp-2016
>
> This is both exciting and intimidating!

Woo!  Nice!

> PS: If you’re giving a talk, workshop or something around Guix, feel
>     free to email this list too.  :-)

I’m giving a talk about Guix at the “German Bioinformatics Core Unit
Workshop 2016” in Berlin on September 12.  It’s a satellite event of the
GCB2016 (German Conference on Bioinformatics).

The title of the talk is

    Reproducible and User-Controlled Package Management in HPC with GNU Guix

Here’s the schedule:

    http://www.gbcuw.de/program/

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Guix world tour
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-30  9:45 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-09-30  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I had the pleasant surprise to be invited to give a talk about Guix at
> the Scheme Workshop in September in Japan:
>
>   http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/
>
> While I was at it, I submitted another talk to the Commercial(!) Users
> of Functional Programming conference, which was accepted:
>
>   http://cufp.org/2016/

I just came back and I’ve put the slides at:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/help/#talks

Apart from the usual overview, the Scheme Workshop talk covered mainly
staging and G-expressions.  There were ~30 people; I think it was pretty
well received.

After the talk, I chatted with Oleg Kiselyov (who unfortunately didn’t
attend) about the hygiene issue we have when composing gexps, and how
the MetaScheme PoC implementation just doesn’t apply to full Scheme with
macros.  He pointed me to papers about “staged notation definition” and
MacroML that I haven’t yet taken the time to investigate.

The CUFP talk was in this very nice room with 60 people or so.  I
focused on why and how we use Scheme extensively, explicitly comparing
to Nix{,OS}, which the majority of the attendance already knew.  Among
the questions I had, one was “how do I upgrade from Nix?” ;-), and
another one was the inevitable (given the venue) “what do you think a
static type system would bring you?”.

Videos should be available shortly.

It was a great experience, especially chatting with Scheme/Clojure/Lisp
and FP folks, famous or not!

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-09-30 13:02   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-09-30 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> I had the pleasant surprise to be invited to give a talk about Guix at
>> the Scheme Workshop in September in Japan:
>>
>>   http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/
>>
>> While I was at it, I submitted another talk to the Commercial(!) Users
>> of Functional Programming conference, which was accepted:
>>
>>   http://cufp.org/2016/
>
> I just came back and I’ve put the slides at:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/help/#talks
>
> Apart from the usual overview, the Scheme Workshop talk covered mainly
> staging and G-expressions.  There were ~30 people; I think it was pretty
> well received.
>
> After the talk, I chatted with Oleg Kiselyov (who unfortunately didn’t
> attend) about the hygiene issue we have when composing gexps, and how
> the MetaScheme PoC implementation just doesn’t apply to full Scheme with
> macros.  He pointed me to papers about “staged notation definition” and
> MacroML that I haven’t yet taken the time to investigate.
>
> The CUFP talk was in this very nice room with 60 people or so.  I
> focused on why and how we use Scheme extensively, explicitly comparing
> to Nix{,OS}, which the majority of the attendance already knew.  Among
> the questions I had, one was “how do I upgrade from Nix?” ;-), and
> another one was the inevitable (given the venue) “what do you think a
> static type system would bring you?”.
>
> Videos should be available shortly.
>
> It was a great experience, especially chatting with Scheme/Clojure/Lisp
> and FP folks, famous or not!

Woo, that sounds great!  I’m looking forward to the videos!

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-10-03 20:46   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-03 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I just came back and I’ve put the slides at:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/help/#talks

Some of the Scheme Workshop talks are at:

  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoH3jteqsb2jcsSe4Ve1TDeLL5fCCiwzC

(youtube-dl/vlc to the rescue!)

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-10-04  7:18   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2016-10-04  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Héllo,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> The CUFP talk was in this very nice room with 60 people or so.  I
> focused on why and how we use Scheme extensively, explicitly comparing
> to Nix{,OS}, which the majority of the attendance already knew.  Among
> the questions I had, one was “how do I upgrade from Nix?” ;-), and
> another one was the inevitable (given the venue) “what do you think a
> static type system would bring you?”.

 What is the answer to the last question about static type system?

Thanks!

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-10-04  8:36     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-04  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche.boubekki@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> The CUFP talk was in this very nice room with 60 people or so.  I
>> focused on why and how we use Scheme extensively, explicitly comparing
>> to Nix{,OS}, which the majority of the attendance already knew.  Among
>> the questions I had, one was “how do I upgrade from Nix?” ;-), and
>> another one was the inevitable (given the venue) “what do you think a
>> static type system would bring you?”.
>>

>  What is the answer to the last question about static type system?

Heh.  :-)  There’s a transcript of what I said at
<http://icfp2016.mirage.io/CUFP/guix-scheme-as-a-uniform-os-a.md>.

I think the core of Guix could benefit from it, just like any other
program.  The user-facing data structures and procedures
(‘operating-system’, ‘package’, etc.) could be locally statically typed
(for instance, record fields), but not much beyond that because I
suspect this would either hamper dynamic composition or provide a false
sense of static typing.

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix world tour
@ 2016-10-26  9:57       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-10-26  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche.boubekki@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The CUFP talk was in this very nice room with 60 people or so.  I
>>> focused on why and how we use Scheme extensively, explicitly comparing
>>> to Nix{,OS}, which the majority of the attendance already knew.  Among
>>> the questions I had, one was “how do I upgrade from Nix?” ;-), and
>>> another one was the inevitable (given the venue) “what do you think a
>>> static type system would bring you?”.
>>>

>>  What is the answer to the last question about static type system?
>
> Heh.  :-)  There’s a transcript of what I said at
> <http://icfp2016.mirage.io/CUFP/guix-scheme-as-a-uniform-os-a.md>.

And the CUFP video is here alongside the other ICFP videos:

  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRL68qZFfub1Ep1EScfmBw

Ludo’.