unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
@ 2022-02-08  9:59 Rovanion Luckey
From: Rovanion Luckey @ 2022-02-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

I have on different occasions had the issue of the package manager Guix
hinting that locales were not installed or that GUIX_LOCPATH was not set,
even though they were. Today I went to the bottom of the issue [0] and have
found what in my opinion is the root cause:

Despite its name, the package glibc-utf8-locales does not contain all
utf8-locales. There is nothing in the name that makes this apparent to the
user, especially given that the package named glibc-locales contains all
locales.

My suggestion then is to change this package name from glibc-utf8-locales
to glibc-limited-utf8-locales to make this distinction apparent to the
user.

The package name was mentioned enough times in the code of guix that I
hesitate to submit a patch with
s/glibc-utf8-locales/glibc-limited-utf8-locales/ run over the codebase. But
perhaps it is that easy.

[0]: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/689761

* Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
@ 2022-02-25 18:32 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-02-25 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rovanion Luckey; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Rovanion,

Rovanion Luckey <rovanion.luckey@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have on different occasions had the issue of the package manager Guix
> hinting that locales were not installed or that GUIX_LOCPATH was not set,
> even though they were. Today I went to the bottom of the issue [0] and have
> found what in my opinion is the root cause:

This was already fixed in afec2784174058fdd85d9698e1fa748c45bfa8ee,
which no longer mentions gilbc-utf8-locales in the hint.

> Despite its name, the package glibc-utf8-locales does not contain all
> utf8-locales. There is nothing in the name that makes this apparent to the
> user, especially given that the package named glibc-locales contains all
> locales.
>
> My suggestion then is to change this package name from glibc-utf8-locales
> to glibc-limited-utf8-locales to make this distinction apparent to the
> user.

Perhaps that's not necessary anymore now that the package is not
mentioned in a UI hint?  The doc mentions it at some point, but stresses
that it contains only a limited subset of UTF-8 locales:

    Alternatively, the @code{glibc-utf8-locales} is smaller but
    limited to a few UTF-8 locales.

I we wanted to rename it, I'd go for 'glibc-utf8-locales-subset'.

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
@ 2022-02-26  7:51   ` Rovanion Luckey
From: Rovanion Luckey @ 2022-02-26  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Guix Devel

I prefer names to not be lying about what they are, despite any
documentation. It is a UX problem if the user has to search the
documentation for any given package name before installing it, just to make
sure that it contains what it says on the can so to speak.

The name glibc-utf8-locales when contrasted with glibc-locales reads to me
like "it contains only the utf8-locales".

Thanks for the reply!
Rovanion

* Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
@ 2022-02-26 13:47     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-02-26 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rovanion Luckey; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Rovanion,

Rovanion Luckey <rovanion.luckey@gmail.com> writes:

> I prefer names to not be lying about what they are, despite any
> documentation. It is a UX problem if the user has to search the
> documentation for any given package name before installing it, just to make
> sure that it contains what it says on the can so to speak.
>
> The name glibc-utf8-locales when contrasted with glibc-locales reads to me
> like "it contains only the utf8-locales".

The package description reads as:

   This package provides a small sample of UTF-8 locales mostly useful
   in test environments.

Perhaps it should simply be marked as a hidden package (not discoverable
via the user interface), and not mentioned in the manual at all.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
@ 2022-02-26 18:53       ` Rovanion Luckey
From: Rovanion Luckey @ 2022-02-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Guix Devel

> The package description reads as:
>
>    This package provides a small sample of UTF-8 locales mostly useful
>    in test environments.

While true does not change that the name is, in my opinion, misleading.

> Perhaps it should simply be marked as a hidden package (not discoverable
> via the user interface), and not mentioned in the manual at all.
>
> What do you think?

That is a reasonable solution too.

* Re: Rename glibc-utf8-locales to glibc-limited-utf8-locales
@ 2022-02-27  4:16         ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-02-27  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rovanion Luckey; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Rovanion,

Rovanion Luckey <rovanion.luckey@gmail.com> writes:

>> The package description reads as:
>>
>>    This package provides a small sample of UTF-8 locales mostly useful
>>    in test environments.
>>

> While true does not change that the name is, in my opinion, misleading.
>

>> Perhaps it should simply be marked as a hidden package (not discoverable
>> via the user interface), and not mentioned in the manual at all.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> That is a reasonable solution too.

I've sent a patch implementing this (a bit more actually) in
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/54178.  Feel free to review it!

Thank you,

Maxim