unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix CLI options through manifest.scm or guix.scm
@ 2023-08-27 18:25 Distopico
From: Distopico @ 2023-08-27 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Is it possible to define/express CLI options from manifest.scm or
guix.scm? For example, I have

```
guix shell \
     -m manifest.scm \
     --container -F -N -P \
     --share=/opt/android-sdk \
     --share=$HOME/.android/avd \
     --share=$HOME/.gradle/ \
     --preserve='^DISPLAY$' \
     --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
     --preserve='^DBUS_' \
     --expose=$XAUTHORITY \
     --expose=/var/run/dbus
```

Manually invoking this command is not practical, so I have
`scripts/container.sh`, a script to invoke it, but I think it would be
much more practical if it's possible to define it in a configuration
file similar to docker-compose, which allows almost all CLI options to
be set in the configuration file to avoid having an additional
configuration file.

Or perhaps a Guile script instead of a shell script? How do others
handle this here?

Best regards!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix CLI options through manifest.scm or guix.scm
@ 2023-08-27 19:59 ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2023-08-27 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Distopico, guix-devel

Hi Distopico

Am Sonntag, dem 27.08.2023 um 13:25 -0500 schrieb Distopico:

> Is it possible to define/express CLI options from manifest.scm or
> guix.scm? For example, I have
CLI options are very broadly scoped.  For instance, with
transformations, we have a dedicated procedure to turn them into a
transformation that can more easily be used inside a manifest.  On the
general side…

> ```
> guix shell \
>      -m manifest.scm \
>      --container -F -N -P \
>      --share=/opt/android-sdk \
>      --share=$HOME/.android/avd \
>      --share=$HOME/.gradle/ \
>      --preserve='^DISPLAY$' \
>      --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
>      --preserve='^DBUS_' \
>      --expose=$XAUTHORITY \
>      --expose=/var/run/dbus
> ```
>
> Manually invoking this command is not practical, so I have
> `scripts/container.sh`, a script to invoke it, but I think it would
> be much more practical if it's possible to define it in a
> configuration file similar to docker-compose, which allows almost all
> CLI options to be set in the configuration file to avoid having an
> additional configuration file.
>
> Or perhaps a Guile script instead of a shell script? How do others
> handle this here?
… every command is available also as a Scheme procedure that takes its
arguments as a list directly.  Thus, you can quite easily transform the
above to

(use-modules (guix script shell))
(guix-shell "-m" "manifest.scm" "--container" "-F" "-N" …)

Of course, if you want to dig deeper, you can also call the functions
guix-shell ends up calling, but whether doing so makes sense is up for
you to decide.

Happy hacking!

* Re: Guix CLI options through manifest.scm or guix.scm
@ 2023-08-29 18:43   ` Distopico
From: Distopico @ 2023-08-29 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liliana Marie Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2023-08-27, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Distopico
>
> Am Sonntag, dem 27.08.2023 um 13:25 -0500 schrieb Distopico:
>>
>> Is it possible to define/express CLI options from manifest.scm or
>> guix.scm? For example, I have
> CLI options are very broadly scoped.  For instance, with
> transformations, we have a dedicated procedure to turn them into a
> transformation that can more easily be used inside a manifest.  On the
> general side…
>
>> ```
>> guix shell \
>>      -m manifest.scm \
>>      --container -F -N -P \
>>      --share=/opt/android-sdk \
>>      --share=$HOME/.android/avd \
>>      --share=$HOME/.gradle/ \
>>      --preserve='^DISPLAY$' \
>>      --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
>>      --preserve='^DBUS_' \
>>      --expose=$XAUTHORITY \
>>      --expose=/var/run/dbus
>> ```
>>
>> Manually invoking this command is not practical, so I have
>> `scripts/container.sh`, a script to invoke it, but I think it would
>> be much more practical if it's possible to define it in a
>> configuration file similar to docker-compose, which allows almost all
>> CLI options to be set in the configuration file to avoid having an
>> additional configuration file.
>>
>> Or perhaps a Guile script instead of a shell script? How do others
>> handle this here?
> … every command is available also as a Scheme procedure that takes its
> arguments as a list directly.  Thus, you can quite easily transform the
> above to
>
> (use-modules (guix script shell))
> (guix-shell "-m" "manifest.scm" "--container" "-F" "-N" …)
>
> Of course, if you want to dig deeper, you can also call the functions
> guix-shell ends up calling, but whether doing so makes sense is up for
> you to decide.
>
> Happy hacking!

Thank you Liliana, I'll tests that option

Best

@ 2023-08-29 20:05   ` Distopico
From: Distopico @ 2023-08-29 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liliana Marie Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2023-08-27, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> wrote:

> CLI options are very broadly scoped.  For instance, with
> transformations, we have a dedicated procedure to turn them into a
> transformation that can more easily be used inside a manifest.  On the
> general side…
>
> … every command is available also as a Scheme procedure that takes its
> arguments as a list directly.  Thus, you can quite easily transform the
> above to
>
> (use-modules (guix script shell))
> (guix-shell "-m" "manifest.scm" "--container" "-F" "-N" …)
>
> Of course, if you want to dig deeper, you can also call the functions
> guix-shell ends up calling, but whether doing so makes sense is up for
> you to decide.
>
> Happy hacking!

It works, here the code as a reference for someone else that maybe will
need something similar

;;; coniatner.scm

```
#!/usr/bin/env -S guile -s
!#
(use-modules (guix scripts shell))

(let ((args (list "-m"
                  "manifest.scm"
                  "--container"
                  "-F"
                  "-N"
                  "-P"
                  (string-append "--share=" (getenv "ANDROID_SDK_ROOT"))
                  "--preserve='^DISPLAY$'"
                  "--preserve='^XAUTHORITY$'"
                  "--preserve='^DBUS_'"
                  (string-append "--expose=" (getenv "XAUTHORITY"))
                  "--expose=/var/run/dbus"
                  "--expose=/sys/dev"
                  "--expose=/sys/devices"
                  "--expose=/dev/dri"
                  "--expose=/dev/kvm")))

  (apply guix-shell (append args (cdr (command-line)))))
```

and then in `.envrc`

```
eval $(./container.scm --search-paths)
```

or from terminal

```
./container.scm
```

@ 2023-09-14  9:38 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2023-09-14  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Distopico; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Distopico <distopico@riseup.net> skribis:

> Is it possible to define/express CLI options from manifest.scm or
> guix.scm? For example, I have
>
> ```
> guix shell \
>      -m manifest.scm \
>      --container -F -N -P \
>      --share=/opt/android-sdk \
>      --share=$HOME/.android/avd \
>      --share=$HOME/.gradle/ \
>      --preserve='^DISPLAY$' \
>      --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
>      --preserve='^DBUS_' \
>      --expose=$XAUTHORITY \
>      --expose=/var/run/dbus
> ```

There are two things relevant to ‘guix shell’: (1) what packages go
inside the environment, and (2) how the environment is built (container
vs. pure, networking or not, etc.).

The manifest only takes care of #1.

We need a non-CLI way to express #2.  I don’t think manifests are a good
fit for that; perhaps we need a new <environment> abstraction, which
might mean we need a new ‘environment.scm’ file or similar.

Anyhow, I agree that something’s missing here.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix CLI options through manifest.scm or guix.scm
@ 2023-09-19  0:12   ` Distopico
From: Distopico @ 2023-09-19  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2023-09-14, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Distopico <distopico@riseup.net> skribis:
>
>> Is it possible to define/express CLI options from manifest.scm or
>> guix.scm? For example, I have
>>
>> ```
>> guix shell \
>>      -m manifest.scm \
>>      --container -F -N -P \
>>      --share=/opt/android-sdk \
>>      --share=$HOME/.android/avd \
>>      --share=$HOME/.gradle/ \
>>      --preserve='^DISPLAY$' \
>>      --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' \
>>      --preserve='^DBUS_' \
>>      --expose=$XAUTHORITY \
>>      --expose=/var/run/dbus
>> ```
>
> There are two things relevant to ‘guix shell’: (1) what packages go
> inside the environment, and (2) how the environment is built (container
> vs. pure, networking or not, etc.).
>
> The manifest only takes care of #1.
>
> We need a non-CLI way to express #2.  I don’t think manifests are a good
> fit for that; perhaps we need a new <environment> abstraction, which
> might mean we need a new ‘environment.scm’ file or similar.
>
> Anyhow, I agree that something’s missing here.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Aren't there many variations/types of files? But still, it would be
ideal to configure it. Perhaps 'envrc.scm' could be another option.

Best!