unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-07 19:57 Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I'm starting to work on this. The background images should work for any
login manager and desktop environment, but I'm testing in GNOME 3
because I can't access SLiM's website to find information about theme
structure. [1] It seems that the SLiM project was abandoned. [2]

I'll post a background image proposal soon.

Best,

[1] http://slim.berlios.de/
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-08 14:16 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-08 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I'm starting to work on this. The background images should work for any
> login manager and desktop environment, but I'm testing in GNOME 3
> because I can't access SLiM's website to find information about theme
> structure. [1] It seems that the SLiM project was abandoned. [2]

I think Berlios actually shut down a while back.  But yeah, SLiM is
probably not very lively.  Commit d8c1944 updates its source code URL.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-08 14:24   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-08 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

And if you want to look at it, SLiM’s code is at:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/slim.berlios/files/

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-11 18:56 ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-11 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

Here is a background image for login managers and desktops:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/layers-16-10.png

Let me know what you think.

Best,

--

@ 2014-11-11 20:27   ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2014-11-11 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López, guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a background image for login managers and desktops:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/layers-16-10.png
>
> Let me know what you think.

I like it!  Very simple and not distracting.  I like backgrounds that
don't have any text, so this is just my style.  I imagine that you also
plan to provide higher resolutions, yes?  One of my computers has a
monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440, but 1920x(1080|1200) would
do. :)

Great stuff!

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-11 20:51     ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-11 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson, guix-devel

On 11/11/14 15:27, David Thompson wrote:
> Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here is a background image for login managers and desktops:
>>
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/layers-16-10.png
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> I like it!  Very simple and not distracting.  I like backgrounds that
> don't have any text, so this is just my style.  I imagine that you also
> plan to provide higher resolutions, yes?  One of my computers has a
> monitor with a resolution of 2560x1440, but 1920x(1080|1200) would
> do. :)
>
> Great stuff!

Hey, David, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I will provide the background in SVG for different aspect ratios
and I imagine that the people doing integration work will export high
resolution PNGs that will scale down for smaller displays.

--

@ 2014-11-11 21:19   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-11 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> Here is a background image for login managers and desktops:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/layers-16-10.png

I like it!

I was wondering whether it’d be relevant to add a logo somewhere, but
maybe not: it’s nice that it’s all “slick.”

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-11 22:31     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-11 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:19:03PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Here is a background image for login managers and desktops:
> > http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/layers-16-10.png
> I like it!

Me too!

> I was wondering whether it’d be relevant to add a logo somewhere, but
> maybe not: it’s nice that it’s all “slick.”

I wondered if I should bring it up ;-)  It is nice to not have a logo on
the desktop background screen. There could be one on the login screen, though.

Andreas

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-11 22:43       ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2014-11-11 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:19:03PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I was wondering whether it’d be relevant to add a logo somewhere, but
>> maybe not: it’s nice that it’s all “slick.”
>
> I wondered if I should bring it up ;-)  It is nice to not have a logo on
> the desktop background screen. There could be one on the login screen,
> though.

Does slim allow us to place a logo somewhere or does it have to be baked
into the background image?

--

@ 2014-11-11 23:03         ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 11/11/14 17:43, David Thompson wrote:
> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:19:03PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> I was wondering whether it’d be relevant to add a logo somewhere, but
>>> maybe not: it’s nice that it’s all “slick.”
>>
>> I wondered if I should bring it up ;-)  It is nice to not have a logo on
>> the desktop background screen. There could be one on the login screen,
>> though.
>
> Does slim allow us to place a logo somewhere or does it have to be baked
> into the background image?

I don't know SLiM, but GNOME GDM and KDE have ways to put a logo in the
interface and leave the background untouched.

From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-11 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

@ 2014-11-11 23:11       ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 11/11/14 17:31, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:19:03PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> Here is a background image for login managers and desktops:
>>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/layers-16-10.png
>> I like it!
>
> Me too!

Glad to hear you like it too :)

--

@ 2014-11-12  9:53         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-12  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: guix-devel

David Thompson <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:

> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 10:19:03PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> I was wondering whether it’d be relevant to add a logo somewhere, but
>>> maybe not: it’s nice that it’s all “slick.”
>>
>> I wondered if I should bring it up ;-)  It is nice to not have a logo on
>> the desktop background screen. There could be one on the login screen,
>> though.
>
> Does slim allow us to place a logo somewhere or does it have to be baked
> into the background image?

Quoting the ‘THEMES’ file in SLiM:

  GENERAL CONCEPT
      A SLiM theme essentially consists of:
      - a background image (background.png or background.jpg)
      - a panel image (panel.png or panel.jpg)
      - input box(es) and messages and their placement
        and properties (slim.theme)

      The panel and background images can be a PNG or JPEG file.
      The panel is blended into the background image,
      taking care of alpha transparency.

I suppose the logo could go into the “panel image.”  I’ll try that.

Felipe, feel free to commit the background as SVG in guix-artwork.git.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-12 13:34         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-12 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

To try it out, I’ve added a slim/0.8 directory in guix-artwork.git,
which contains the PNG you sent; the other files are taken from SLiM’s
default theme.

The result looks like this:

[-- Attachment #2: SLiM login screen --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 27075 bytes --]

We could change panel.png to include a logo (maybe a semi-transparent
white Guix and GNU?)  WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-12 15:08           ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-12 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 12/11/14 08:34, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> To try it out, I’ve added a slim/0.8 directory in guix-artwork.git,
> which contains the PNG you sent; the other files are taken from SLiM’s
> default theme.
>
> The result looks like this:
>

> We could change panel.png to include a logo (maybe a semi-transparent
> white Guix and GNU?)  WDYT?

I'm concerned about the Login text being an image. Is it possible to
localize that? With panel-es.png, panel-ja.png, for example?

I'll replace the "Login:" with the Guix logo and show the result today
(COT). But I think that having two logos, Guix and GNU, would be too much :)

--

@ 2014-11-12 15:55             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I'm concerned about the Login text being an image. Is it possible to
> localize that? With panel-es.png, panel-ja.png, for example?

Unfortunately, SLiM doesn’t seem to be i18n’d.

The medium-term solution is probably to switch to GDM, but that’ll be
for after the 0.8 release.

> I'll replace the "Login:" with the Guix logo and show the result today
> (COT).

Or perhaps leave “Login:” above, and add the logo below, something like
that?

> But I think that having two logos, Guix and GNU, would be too much :)

Yeah, perhaps just GNU, then.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-12 16:17           ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-12 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 12/11/14 04:53, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Felipe, feel free to commit the background as SVG in guix-artwork.git.

I was trying to push but the connection is timing out. I'll try later.

--

@ 2014-11-12 20:00               ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 12/11/14 10:55, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> I'm concerned about the Login text being an image. Is it possible to
>> localize that? With panel-es.png, panel-ja.png, for example?
>
> Unfortunately, SLiM doesn’t seem to be i18n’d.
>
> The medium-term solution is probably to switch to GDM, but that’ll be
> for after the 0.8 release.

OK.

>> I'll replace the "Login:" with the Guix logo and show the result today
>> (COT).
>
> Or perhaps leave “Login:” above, and add the logo below, something like
> that?
>
>> But I think that having two logos, Guix and GNU, would be too much :)
>
> Yeah, perhaps just GNU, then.

Here is a variant of the SLiM theme with the GNU:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu.png

This one has the GNU head as well but all elements are centered on the
screen (needs modification of slim.theme file):

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered.png

Personally, I like the login screen without logos, but I would modify
the style of the text input box like this:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel.png

What do you think?

--

@ 2014-11-12 21:18                 ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2014-11-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Em Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:00:39 -0500
Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> escreveu:

> This one has the GNU head as well but all elements are centered on the
> screen (needs modification of slim.theme file):
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered.png

I like this.  However, if possible at all, I'd get rid of the "Login:"
text, or ideally, replace it by "GNU", since it's clear that this is a
login screen. Also, the "username:" label would go at input box's left.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-12 21:44                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-12 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> Here is a variant of the SLiM theme with the GNU:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu.png

Looks good to me, and the input box looks nicer than the original one.

> This one has the GNU head as well but all elements are centered on the
> screen (needs modification of slim.theme file):
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered.png

I have a slight preference for the first one.

> Personally, I like the login screen without logos, but I would modify
> the style of the text input box like this:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel.png

I think it’s fine to have the logo; I’m also happy with “Login:”.

What do others think?

Ludo’.

From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-12 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 12/11/14 04:53, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>
>> Felipe, feel free to commit the background as SVG in guix-artwork.git.
>
> I was trying to push but the connection is timing out. I'll try later.

I’m being told there’s an outage:
<https://pumprock.net/fsfstatus/note/U399g7u8RD210J5Itx_H4A>.

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-12 21:46                   ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-12 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 12/11/14 16:18, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:
> Em Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:00:39 -0500
> Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> escreveu:
>
>> This one has the GNU head as well but all elements are centered on the
>> screen (needs modification of slim.theme file):
>>
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered.png
>
> I like this.  However, if possible at all, I'd get rid of the "Login:"
> text, or ideally, replace it by "GNU", since it's clear that this is a
> login screen. Also, the "username:" label would go at input box's left.

You mean like this?

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered-2.png

--

@ 2014-11-12 21:48                     ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2014-11-12 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Em Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:46:02 -0500
Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> escreveu:

> You mean like this?
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered-2.png

Wow, very pretty!  Exactly like this.  I vote for this screen.

You're quick on the trigger.  Thank you! :-)

--

@ 2014-11-12 21:53                 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-12 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 03:00:39PM -0500, Felipe López wrote:
> Here is a variant of the SLiM theme with the GNU:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu.png
>
> This one has the GNU head as well but all elements are centered on the
> screen (needs modification of slim.theme file):
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered.png

The first one is much better, I think. The second one is too symmetric and
vertically stacked. Something to try, maybe: As in the grub screen, make
the gnu more subtle, like a watermark in the background. But then it would
need to be moved away from the wave; maybe more to the top left of the screen,
"riding on the wave". Something you could also try independently of the
watermark, by the way.

I prefer the first solution with gnu logo to the one without logo.

As Bruno, I am not sure the text "login" is needed, although it has its
graphic appeal. Whether we would want to have the text "GNU", I do not have
an opinion (yet?).

Andreas

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-13  0:23                   ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-13  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

On 12/11/14 16:53, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 03:00:39PM -0500, Felipe López wrote:
>> Here is a variant of the SLiM theme with the GNU:
>>
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu.png
>>
>> This one has the GNU head as well but all elements are centered on the
>> screen (needs modification of slim.theme file):
>>
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-centered.png
>
> The first one is much better, I think. The second one is too symmetric and
> vertically stacked. Something to try, maybe: As in the grub screen, make
> the gnu more subtle, like a watermark in the background. But then it would
> need to be moved away from the wave; maybe more to the top left of the screen,
> "riding on the wave". Something you could also try independently of the
> watermark, by the way.

I tried the watermark head, but it is difficult to make it work. If I
put it away from the waves, then it will be completely separated of the
rest of the elements in the interface.

The only decent position I could find for the head as a watermark was this:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-watermark.png

The GNU head overlaps with the waves, but the same happens in the other
variants.

--

@ 2014-11-13  9:19                     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-watermark.png

FWIW, I like it, but I still have a slight preference for panel-gnu.png.

At this point, I think we should probably rely on your own aesthetic
preferences and follow your lead.  :-)

Thanks again for all the work,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-13 10:11                     ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2014-11-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Em Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:23:07 -0500
Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> escreveu:

> The only decent position I could find for the head as a watermark was
> this:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-watermark.png

This is very good too!  Even better than the centered one.  Thanks
for the suggestion Andreas.  Thanks for working on it Felipe. :-)

--

@ 2014-11-13 12:12                     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2014-11-13 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 07:23:07PM -0500, Felipe López wrote:
> The only decent position I could find for the head as a watermark was this:
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-watermark.png
> The GNU head overlaps with the waves, but the same happens in the other
> variants.

Very nice! I prefer this one, I find it more expressive. The overlapping is
not a problem; I just worried that it might disturb the graphics of the gnu
head, but it does not. Anyway, as Ludovic suggested, we should let the
artist decide now!

Andreas

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-13 15:49                       ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 13/11/14 07:12, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 07:23:07PM -0500, Felipe López wrote:
>> The only decent position I could find for the head as a watermark was this:
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/panel-gnu-watermark.png
>> The GNU head overlaps with the waves, but the same happens in the other
>> variants.
>
> Very nice! I prefer this one, I find it more expressive. The overlapping is
> not a problem; I just worried that it might disturb the graphics of the gnu
> head, but it does not. Anyway, as Ludovic suggested, we should let the
> artist decide now!

Let's use that one then.

I pushed the new panel to the art repository. The input controls in the
theme may need to be updated (I can't install SLiM in the machine I'm
using to make the changes myself, sorry).

Also, I didn't update the copyright and license information of the panel
files. All the work I do is in the public domain and I indicate it in
the SVG metadata. But in the panel image we are using the "Bold GNU
Head" by  Aurelio A. Heckert and it is licensed under the  CC-BY-SA 2.0
license. Also, the slim.theme file seems to be GPL? So I don't know how
to deal with all those licenses :)

--

@ 2014-11-13 22:16                         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I pushed the new panel to the art repository. The input controls in the
> theme may need to be updated (I can't install SLiM in the machine I'm
> using to make the changes myself, sorry).

I’ve done the changes to slim.theme.  It doesn’t look as on the mock-up,
because panel.png is smaller relative to the background:

[-- Attachment #2: screenshot --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 67310 bytes --]

> Also, I didn't update the copyright and license information of the panel
> files. All the work I do is in the public domain and I indicate it in
> the SVG metadata. But in the panel image we are using the "Bold GNU
> Head" by  Aurelio A. Heckert and it is licensed under the  CC-BY-SA 2.0
> license. Also, the slim.theme file seems to be GPL? So I don't know how
> to deal with all those licenses :)

IANAL, but I don’t think slim.theme alone is really copyrightable,
because it only makes sense as part of the whole theme (otherwise it’s
just a pointless list of numbers.)  So I guess that the combined work is
under CC-BY-SA 2.0.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-13 22:50                           ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-13 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 13/11/14 17:16, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> I pushed the new panel to the art repository. The input controls in the
>> theme may need to be updated (I can't install SLiM in the machine I'm
>> using to make the changes myself, sorry).
>
> I’ve done the changes to slim.theme.  It doesn’t look as on the mock-up,
> because panel.png is smaller relative to the background:

Yes, that's expected. The background image will be adapted according to
the screen resolution. But I think it's fine.

Is RMS already using the system :)? I'm glad to see how active this
project is.

Thank you all for your dedication.

>> Also, I didn't update the copyright and license information of the panel
>> files. All the work I do is in the public domain and I indicate it in
>> the SVG metadata. But in the panel image we are using the "Bold GNU
>> Head" by  Aurelio A. Heckert and it is licensed under the  CC-BY-SA 2.0
>> license. Also, the slim.theme file seems to be GPL? So I don't know how
>> to deal with all those licenses :)
>
> IANAL, but I don’t think slim.theme alone is really copyrightable,
> because it only makes sense as part of the whole theme (otherwise it’s
> just a pointless list of numbers.)  So I guess that the combined work is
> under CC-BY-SA 2.0.

Good.

One question. How the hell do you insert attachments between the text of
the message?

Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

PGP Klefo ID  : 0x8A296B99
Fingrala marko: 7ED8 4963 C881 647C 9DA0 FDE6 881B 91ED 8A29 6B99

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-14  9:10                             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-14  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe López; +Cc: guix-devel

Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 13/11/14 17:16, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> I’ve done the changes to slim.theme.  It doesn’t look as on the mock-up,
>> because panel.png is smaller relative to the background:
>
> Yes, that's expected. The background image will be adapted according to
> the screen resolution. But I think it's fine.

Yes, I like it too.

> Is RMS already using the system :)? I'm glad to see how active this
> project is.
>
> Thank you all for your dedication.

Heheh, thanks for helping out!

> One question. How the hell do you insert attachments between the text of
> the message?

Ahah!  I use Gnus as my email client, and Emacs’ mail composition and
MIME modes allow you to do that conveniently:

  http://www.gnus.org/manual/emacs-mime.html

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Background image for login manager and desktop
@ 2014-11-14 14:11                               ` Felipe López
From: Felipe López @ 2014-11-14 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 14/11/14 04:10, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Felipe López <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> One question. How the hell do you insert attachments between the text of
>> the message?
>
> Ahah!  I use Gnus as my email client, and Emacs’ mail composition and
> MIME modes allow you to do that conveniently:
>
>   http://www.gnus.org/manual/emacs-mime.html

Thanks, I'll try it out.