unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Prerequesits GuixSD
@ 2015-05-18 12:23 Fabian Boucsein
From: Fabian Boucsein @ 2015-05-18 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix developer,

i came across Ludovics Fosdem talk and was instantly
fascinated. This led to a strong "WANT TO TRY NOW".
But the system build broke. I used a Lenovo T60 with
just 1GB RAM. What hardware do i need to build a Guix
system? I used the very tiny system configuration that
i found on the installer USB with slight changes.
Since i am living in germany i wanted to use de_DE but
this was not possible.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
Fabian

* Re: Prerequesits GuixSD
@ 2015-05-19  8:55 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2015-05-19  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabian Boucsein; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Fabian,

> But the system build broke.

What exactly does this mean?

> I used a Lenovo T60 with just 1GB RAM. What hardware do i need to
> build a Guix system? I used the very tiny system configuration that i
> found on the installer USB with slight changes.

I use the Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) on both a T60 and an X200s.
I did *not* compile everything from scratch but used binary substitutes
for the vast majority of packages.

Unless you *want* to build *everything* from scratch, be sure to enable
binary substitutes by authorising the build farm hydra.gnu.org with:

  guix import --authorize < /path/to/hydras.public.key

> Since i am living in germany i wanted to use de_DE but this was not
> possible.

You can most definitely use a different locale, but you will have to
install the glibc-locales package or else applications won't be able to
find the appropriate strings.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Prerequesits GuixSD
@ 2015-05-19 10:06   ` Amirouche BOUBEKKI
From: Amirouche BOUBEKKI @ 2015-05-19 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Le mardi 19 mai 2015 à 10:55 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus a écrit :
> Hi Fabian,
>
> > But the system build broke.
>
> What exactly does this mean?
>
> > I used a Lenovo T60 with just 1GB RAM. What hardware do i need to
> > build a Guix system? I used the very tiny system configuration that i
> > found on the installer USB with slight changes.
>
> I use the Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) on both a T60 and an X200s.
> I did *not* compile everything from scratch but used binary substitutes
> for the vast majority of packages.

Here on a glublub X60 it installed correctly with substitues. There is
XFCE and WM maker as WM. And it works quiet good as second workstation.
GSD hasn't yet, all the s/spies/daemons that other distros can have ;)

> Unless you *want* to build *everything* from scratch, be sure to enable
> binary substitutes by authorising the build farm hydra.gnu.org with:
>
>   guix import --authorize < /path/to/hydras.public.key
>
> > Since i am living in germany i wanted to use de_DE but this was not
> > possible.
>
> You can most definitely use a different locale, but you will have to
> install the glibc-locales package or else applications won't be able to
> find the appropriate strings.
>
> ~~ Ricardo

* Re: Prerequesits GuixSD
@ 2015-05-19 14:55   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-05-19 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> skribis:

> Unless you *want* to build *everything* from scratch, be sure to enable
> binary substitutes by authorising the build farm hydra.gnu.org with:
>
>   guix import --authorize < /path/to/hydras.public.key

Note that this is the default on GuixSD.

>> Since i am living in germany i wanted to use de_DE but this was not
>> possible.
>
> You can most definitely use a different locale, but you will have to
> install the glibc-locales package or else applications won't be able to
> find the appropriate strings.

On GuixSD, installing ‘glibc-locales’ is unnecessary.  Instead, the
admin should set the ‘locale’ field of the ‘operating-system’
declaration (see
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Locales.html>.)

Here, it should be enough to do:

  (operating-system