unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
@ 2016-12-20 13:57 Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-12-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel
  Cc: Thomas Danckaert, Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer, John J. Foerch,
	David Hashe, Marek Benc, Alex Sassmannshausen, Vincent Legoll,
	Pjotr Prins

Hello, if it's not too late for the release, I think it would be good to
adjust ".mailmap" to avoid duplicates in the generated AUTHORS file (if
it's too late, it would be good anyway).

As you can check with "git --no-pager shortlog -nse", there are some
duplicates in the output (double names or emails for the same person).
This output is used to generate AUTHORS file in release tarballs.  So to
disambiguate this, I would like to ask the people what are their
preference:

- Alex: <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> or <alex@pompo.co>?

- Ben: "Ben Woodcroft" or "Ben J Woodcroft"?

- Daniel: <d4n1@d4n1.org> or <d4n1@member.fsf.org>?

- David: <david.hashe@dhashe.com>, right? (you have one commit with
  <address@hidden>)

- Ivan: "Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer" or "Ivan Vilata i Balaguer"?

- Jeff: <j@codemac.net> or <jm@igneous.io>?

- John: "John J. Foerch" or "John J Foerch"?

- Marek: <dusxmt@gmx.com> or <merkur32@gmail.com>?

- Marius: <mbakke@fastmail.com> or <m.bakke@warwick.ac.uk>?

- Pjotr: <pjotr.public01@thebird.nl> or <pjotr.public12@email>?

- Thomas: <thomas.danckaert@gmail.com> or <post@thomasdanckaert.be>?

- Vincent: <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> or <vincent.legoll@idgrilles.fr>?

Please do not Cc other people in your answer, just reply to
<guix-devel@gnu.org>, thanks!

--
Alex

* Re: Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
@ 2016-12-20 14:10 ` Vincent Legoll
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-12-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

> - Vincent: <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> or <vincent.legoll@idgrilles.fr>?

I'll keep: "Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com>"

Thanks

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
@ 2016-12-20 15:00 ` Marek Benc
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marek Benc @ 2016-12-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: guix-devel

Marek Benc here, my preferred email address is <dusxmt@gmx.com>.

--
Marek

* Re: Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
@ 2016-12-20 15:03 ` Ivan Vilata i Balaguer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer @ 2016-12-20 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost, guix-devel

Alex Kost (2016-12-20 16:57:50 +0300) wrote:

> Hello, if it's not too late for the release, I think it would be good
> to adjust ".mailmap" to avoid duplicates in the generated AUTHORS file
> (if it's too late, it would be good anyway). […]
>
> - Ivan: "Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer" or "Ivan Vilata i Balaguer"?

Hi Alex, thanks for taking care of this.  In my case the second version
is the native Catalan one, but since it causes lots of issues with
programs dividing it into first name and surname, I'd rather use the
first one (with the dashes), which clusters name and surnames
separately.

Cheers,

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- https://elvil.net/

* Re: Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-20 15:37 ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2016-12-20 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Alex Kost writes:

> Hello, if it's not too late for the release, I think it would be good to
> adjust ".mailmap" to avoid duplicates in the generated AUTHORS file (if
> it's too late, it would be good anyway).
>
> As you can check with "git --no-pager shortlog -nse", there are some
> duplicates in the output (double names or emails for the same person).
> This output is used to generate AUTHORS file in release tarballs.  So to
> disambiguate this, I would like to ask the people what are their
> preference:
>
> - Alex: <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> or <alex@pompo.co>?

I'm using alex@pompo.co .

Thank you for doing this!

Alex

* Re: Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-20 19:28 ` David Hashe
From: David Hashe @ 2016-12-20 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost, guix-devel

Hi Alex,

david.hashe@dhashe.com is correct.

Thanks,
David

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, if it's not too late for the release, I think it would be good to
> adjust ".mailmap" to avoid duplicates in the generated AUTHORS file (if
> it's too late, it would be good anyway).
>
> As you can check with "git --no-pager shortlog -nse", there are some
> duplicates in the output (double names or emails for the same person).
> This output is used to generate AUTHORS file in release tarballs.  So to
> disambiguate this, I would like to ask the people what are their
> preference:
>
> - Alex: <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> or <alex@pompo.co>?
>
> - Ben: "Ben Woodcroft" or "Ben J Woodcroft"?
>
> - Daniel: <d4n1@d4n1.org> or <d4n1@member.fsf.org>?
>
> - David: <david.hashe@dhashe.com>, right? (you have one commit with
>   <address@hidden>)
>
> - Ivan: "Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer" or "Ivan Vilata i Balaguer"?
>
> - Jeff: <j@codemac.net> or <jm@igneous.io>?
>
> - John: "John J. Foerch" or "John J Foerch"?
>
> - Marek: <dusxmt@gmx.com> or <merkur32@gmail.com>?
>
> - Marius: <mbakke@fastmail.com> or <m.bakke@warwick.ac.uk>?
>
> - Pjotr: <pjotr.public01@thebird.nl> or <pjotr.public12@email>?
>
> - Thomas: <thomas.danckaert@gmail.com> or <post@thomasdanckaert.be>?
>
> - Vincent: <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> or <vincent.legoll@idgrilles.fr>?
>

> Please do not Cc other people in your answer, just reply to
> <guix-devel@gnu.org>, thanks!
>
> --
> Alex

* Re: Remove duplicates in AUTHORS file before the release
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-01-01  8:50 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-01-01  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Alex Kost (2016-12-20 16:57 +0300) wrote:

> Hello, if it's not too late for the release, I think it would be good to
> adjust ".mailmap" to avoid duplicates in the generated AUTHORS file (if
> it's too late, it would be good anyway).
>
> As you can check with "git --no-pager shortlog -nse", there are some
> duplicates in the output (double names or emails for the same person).
> This output is used to generate AUTHORS file in release tarballs.  So to
> disambiguate this, I would like to ask the people what are their
> preference:
[...]

Thanks for answering, I made the according changes in commit 6f7bcaa¹.
I didn't get replies from all the people, so I modified .mailmap to what
looked the most appropriate to me ;-)

¹ http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6f7bcaad6aabd1b0780e4d711c94e6ab56d4e723

--
Alex