unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-19  5:30 Adam Massmann
From: Adam Massmann @ 2018-10-19  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

I was wondering if anyone is currently working on packaging
Tensorflow, and if so what the progress is looking like. It
looked like back in April Ricardo was least looking at
it[1].

I just found out I need to use it for a collaboration, and
if I can move some other work around I /might/ be able to
help with the package, depending on how technical the
roadblocks are. Just want to make sure I'm not repeating any
work.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Best,
Adam

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-04/msg00276.html

* Re: Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-22 12:19 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-22 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Massmann; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Adam,

Adam Massmann <akm2203@columbia.edu> skribis:

> I was wondering if anyone is currently working on packaging
> Tensorflow, and if so what the progress is looking like. It
> looked like back in April Ricardo was least looking at
> it[1].
>
> I just found out I need to use it for a collaboration, and
> if I can move some other work around I /might/ be able to
> help with the package, depending on how technical the
> roadblocks are. Just want to make sure I'm not repeating any
> work.

Ricardo eventually submitted a preliminary TensorFlow package:

  https://issues.guix.info/issue/31386

It’s not directly usable at this stage but I’m sure Ricardo would
welcome testing and help.  As a first step, I suppose you could apply
the patch from the issue above, build it, and see what’s missing before
you can use it.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-22 19:35   ` Adam Massmann
From: Adam Massmann @ 2018-10-22 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Ricardo eventually submitted a preliminary TensorFlow package:
>
>   https://issues.guix.info/issue/31386
>
> It’s not directly usable at this stage but I’m sure Ricardo would
> welcome testing and help.  As a first step, I suppose you could apply
> the patch from the issue above, build it, and see what’s missing before
> you can use it.
>
> HTH!
>
> Ludo’.

Thanks for the help; I missed that patch. I'll let you know
if I'm able to dive in and make some progress, but my lack
of experience with java might be a problem :). Thanks to
Ricardo for all the progress on this!

* Re: Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-22 20:09     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-10-22 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Massmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Adam,

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Ricardo eventually submitted a preliminary TensorFlow package:
>>
>>   https://issues.guix.info/issue/31386
>>
>> It’s not directly usable at this stage but I’m sure Ricardo would
>> welcome testing and help.  As a first step, I suppose you could apply
>> the patch from the issue above, build it, and see what’s missing before
>> you can use it.
>>
>> HTH!
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> Thanks for the help; I missed that patch. I'll let you know
> if I'm able to dive in and make some progress, but my lack
> of experience with java might be a problem :). Thanks to
> Ricardo for all the progress on this!

Thanks for your interest!  I have a better patch for a larger part of
Tensorflow coming up, but it’s not quite ready and I haven’t been able
to finish it yet.

I think that the patch I previously posted is not quite as useful as I
had originally hoped.  The new package uses the (now removed) CMake
build system and unfortunately must be built with all the bundled
libraries.

I’ll be away to attend a conference for the rest of this week, but I
suppose I could rebase the patch some time next week and send the work
in progress as a follow-up to https://issues.guix.info/issue/31386.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-22 21:02       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-22 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 22., H, 22:17):
> I think that the patch I previously posted is not quite as useful as I
> had originally hoped.  The new package uses the (now removed) CMake
> build system and unfortunately must be built with all the bundled
> libraries.

When was cmake-build-system removed? I could not find any reference to
that. From the manual
it seems it is still there, and also could find nothing in git log.
(Maybe I was not looking properly, though.)

> --
> Ricardo

g_bor

* Re: Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-22 21:10         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-10-22 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Ricardo,
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 22., H, 22:17):
>> I think that the patch I previously posted is not quite as useful as I
>> had originally hoped.  The new package uses the (now removed) CMake
>> build system and unfortunately must be built with all the bundled
>> libraries.
>
> When was cmake-build-system removed? I could not find any reference to
> that.

I didn’t express myself clearly, sorry.

What I meant is that *Tensorflow* no longer comes with the necessary
CMake files (since the latest release).

It used to come with a contributed Makefile and CMake files.  The
Makefile only allowed you to build the core library (as seen in my
previous patch), while the CMake stuff was more comprehensive.

In spite of this I’d like us to add the previous release of Tensorflow
using the cmake-build-system.  Tensorflow uses Bazel, but it is very
difficult to package all of Bazel’s *many* Java dependencies, so this
will probably take a very long time to do without cheating.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Tensorflow package
@ 2018-10-23 19:57       ` Adam Massmann
From: Adam Massmann @ 2018-10-23 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> writes:

> Thanks for your interest!  I have a better patch for a larger part of
> Tensorflow coming up, but it’s not quite ready and I haven’t been able
> to finish it yet.

That's great news; I can try and take a look at it when it's
ready, but there is no big rush on my end. Thanks again for
the work on this.

Best,
Adam