unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Some team related thoughts and questions...
@ 2023-01-04  6:11 Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2023-01-04  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I filed a couple patches related to teams recently, which pointed out a
few things about the teams process to me...

First off, I wonder if there is (or it is worth creating) a way to make
the scope of a team more fine-grained... e.g. I think the Embedded team
would want to be notified of changes to gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm,
for the u-boot-* packages, but maybe not for grub? Similar also for the
arm-trusted-firmware-* or opensbi packages, but maybe not for
ath9k-htc-firmware (although the case could be made that that is an
embedded system unto itself).

I also wonder about splitting Embedded and Bootstrap into separate
teams; some things are obviously one or the other, but I do not, at
least in my mind, see the overlap.

Perhaps a description would for the team(s) would help a bit here.  I
see embedded as dealing with bootloaders or firmware commonly used on
embedded systems, and perhaps cross-compilers?

Is the Bootstrap team ... bootstrapping a new language compiler family?
bootstrapping a system from scratch? Yes to both? What is it's scope?

I wonder if the team.scm script could also have a few regexps in it for
the patch description. For example, "deterministic" or "reproducible"
might be a useful search term for my recently proposed Reproducible
Builds team, which otherwise would only be interested in a small pool of
reproducible builds tooling packages, but reproducible builds issues
actually could be relevent for all packages in guix.

Lastly, I use the name "Vagrant Cascadian" with my contributions to
guix, but I may use a different email address depending on the nature of
the contribution (e.g. reproducible builds). I am not sure what would
happen if I added "Vagrant Cascadian" twice, with two different email
addresses. Does it handle that reasonably?

It would be a little awkward to add a "Vagrant Cascadian (reproducible
builds)" in the name field but I guess that might be a trivial
workaround if having "Vagrant Cascadian" twice causes issues.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...
@ 2023-01-06 17:14 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-06 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Hi Vagrant,

On Tue, 03 Jan 2023 at 22:11, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> Perhaps a description would for the team(s) would help a bit here.  I
> see embedded as dealing with bootloaders or firmware commonly used on
> embedded systems, and perhaps cross-compilers?

Well, currently the ’team’ record contains the description field.  So it
can be expanded if it helps.

> I wonder if the team.scm script could also have a few regexps in it for
> the patch description. For example, "deterministic" or "reproducible"
> might be a useful search term for my recently proposed Reproducible
> Builds team, which otherwise would only be interested in a small pool of
> reproducible builds tooling packages, but reproducible builds issues
> actually could be relevent for all packages in guix.

I guess something like,

    ./etc/teams.scm list-teams | recsel -q deterministic

should list the teams where ’deterministic’ appears.  It is far from
being perfect but it allows minimal queries.

> Lastly, I use the name "Vagrant Cascadian" with my contributions to
> guix, but I may use a different email address depending on the nature of
> the contribution (e.g. reproducible builds). I am not sure what would
> happen if I added "Vagrant Cascadian" twice, with two different email
> addresses. Does it handle that reasonably?

You would like to have an email address different depending on the
team, right?

Currently, a person (record <person>) has one name (string) and one
email (string) and then this person is part of one more teams (list).

Well, it is not implemented but the macro ’define-member’ could be
tweaked to associate one email to one team for a person, I guess.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...
@ 2023-01-06 18:42   ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2023-01-06 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, guix-devel

On 2023-01-06, Simon Tournier wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2023 at 22:11, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a description would for the team(s) would help a bit here.  I
>> see embedded as dealing with bootloaders or firmware commonly used on
>> embedded systems, and perhaps cross-compilers?
>
> Well, currently the ’team’ record contains the description field.  So it
> can be expanded if it helps.

Right, there was no description for the "Embedded / Bootstrap" team
... so basically asking what the intention of the team is (and a little
confused at the co-mingling of two seemingly distinct teams, at least in
my mind).

>> I wonder if the team.scm script could also have a few regexps in it for
>> the patch description. For example, "deterministic" or "reproducible"
>> might be a useful search term for my recently proposed Reproducible
>> Builds team, which otherwise would only be interested in a small pool of
>> reproducible builds tooling packages, but reproducible builds issues
>> actually could be relevent for all packages in guix.
>
> I guess something like,
>
>     ./etc/teams.scm list-teams | recsel -q deterministic
>
> should list the teams where ’deterministic’ appears.  It is far from
> being perfect but it allows minimal queries.

More I wanted to look through the patch text rather than the package
descriptions. It would ideally catch things like "reproducible" or
"deterministic" in comments in patches as well as git commit summary.

>> Lastly, I use the name "Vagrant Cascadian" with my contributions to
>> guix, but I may use a different email address depending on the nature of
>> the contribution (e.g. reproducible builds). I am not sure what would
>> happen if I added "Vagrant Cascadian" twice, with two different email
>> addresses. Does it handle that reasonably?
>
> You would like to have an email address different depending on the
> team, right?
>
> Currently, a person (record <person>) has one name (string) and one
> email (string) and then this person is part of one more teams (list).
>
> Well, it is not implemented but the macro ’define-member’ could be
> tweaked to associate one email to one team for a person, I guess.

If a "person" is identified by "name"+"email" then it should be fine. I
was worried if a "person" is identified solely by "name".

Defining myself as two persons with the same name and different email
addresses works for my needs, if that is indeed how it works!

@ 2023-01-09 11:58     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-01-09 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Hi Vagrant,

On ven., 06 janv. 2023 at 10:42, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> More I wanted to look through the patch text rather than the package
> descriptions. It would ideally catch things like "reproducible" or
> "deterministic" in comments in patches as well as git commit summary.

Well, IIUC, your point would be to have teams based on “topic“ referred
by search term in patches.  Why not, although it is far to be
implemented, I guess. ;-)

BTW, I would recommend to give a look at lei [1,2] from the Guix package
public-inbox.  For instance, over the last 12 months, all patches
containing the terms ’r-build-system’ and ’reproducible’,

1. Extract from a public-inbox instance:

    guix shell public-inbox \
         -- lei q --threads --dedupe=mid \
         -I https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/ -o /tmp/Mail/patches \
         'dfn:gnu/packages AND b:r-build-system AND b:reproducible AND rt:12.months.ago..'

2. Read it with a mail reader support Maildir:

    guix shell neomutt -- neomutt -f /tmp/Mail/patches

where

   dfn:     match filename from diff
   b:       match within message body, including text attachments
   rt:      match date-time range, git "approxidate" formats supported
            Open-ended ranges such as `d:last.week..' and `d:..2.days.ago'
            are supported

1: <https://public-inbox.org/lei.html>
2: <https://public-inbox.org/lei-q.html>

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Some team related thoughts and questions...
@ 2023-01-10 23:32       ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2023-01-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, guix-devel

On 2023-01-09, Simon Tournier wrote:
> On ven., 06 janv. 2023 at 10:42, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>> More I wanted to look through the patch text rather than the package
>> descriptions. It would ideally catch things like "reproducible" or
>> "deterministic" in comments in patches as well as git commit summary.
>
> Well, IIUC, your point would be to have teams based on “topic“ referred
> by search term in patches.  Why not, although it is far to be
> implemented, I guess. ;-)

Sure, it is wishing for a feature, on the hopes that someone more savvy
with parens sees the value and implements it. :)

> BTW, I would recommend to give a look at lei [1,2] from the Guix package
> public-inbox.  For instance, over the last 12 months, all patches
> containing the terms ’r-build-system’ and ’reproducible’,
>
> 1. Extract from a public-inbox instance:
>
>     guix shell public-inbox \
>          -- lei q --threads --dedupe=mid \
>          -I https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/ -o /tmp/Mail/patches \
>          'dfn:gnu/packages AND b:r-build-system AND b:reproducible AND rt:12.months.ago..'
>
> 2. Read it with a mail reader support Maildir:
>
>     guix shell neomutt -- neomutt -f /tmp/Mail/patches
>

> where
>
>    dfn:     match filename from diff
>    b:       match within message body, including text attachments
>    rt:      match date-time range, git "approxidate" formats supported
>             Open-ended ranges such as `d:last.week..' and `d:..2.days.ago'
>             are supported

Thanks for the examples! I have tried to wrap my head around
public-inbox and related tooling, as it seems extremely
useful. Hopefully this gets me into actually using it. :)

Though using public-inbox is obviously working at it from the other end,
not getting CCed on things but having to rummage through the heap of
patches to find them. :)

live well,
  vagrant