unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-03 22:31 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-03 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Development; +Cc: Christian Grothoff, Nacho Gonzalez, Jose E. Marchesi

Hello,

So the reason for the still-ongoing hydra.gnu.org update is that we just
got 2 new build machines to hook into it:

  • a 2-core VM on chapters.gnu.org, a powerful x86_64 machine kindly
    hosted by FSF France (thanks to Nacho Gonzalez and Jose
    E. Marchesi!);

  • a brand new 4-core/8-thread x86_64 machine, hydra.gnunet.org,
    generously hosted by the Free Secure Network Systems Group at the
    Technische Universitaet Muenchen (special thanks to Christian
    Grothoff for making it possible, and to Sree Harsha Totakura for
    getting it up and running!)

I’m in the process of setting them up, and we’re also sorting out
networking issues.  Hopefully the whole thing will be on track within a
couple of days.  I expect offload support will have to be tweaked over
time, but it should be OK for a start.

BTW, it would be great if someone would volunteer to help with
administration of Hydra and the build machines.  So if someone is
interested, please let me know.

Again a big thanks to our build power donors!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-04  9:32 ` Sree Harsha Totakura
From: Sree Harsha Totakura @ 2014-03-04  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès
  Cc: Guix Development, Christian Grothoff, Nacho Gonzalez,
	Jose E. Marchesi

On 03/03/2014 11:31 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> BTW, it would be great if someone would volunteer to help with
> administration of Hydra and the build machines.  So if someone is
> interested, please let me know.

Since I am here at TUM, I can help with volunteering the server here.
How can I help?

Sree

* Re: New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-04 11:12   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-04 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sree Harsha Totakura; +Cc: Guix Development

(Stripping Cc.)

Sree Harsha Totakura <sreeharsha@totakura.in> skribis:

> On 03/03/2014 11:31 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> BTW, it would be great if someone would volunteer to help with
>> administration of Hydra and the build machines.  So if someone is
>> interested, please let me know.
>
> Since I am here at TUM, I can help with volunteering the server here.
> How can I help?

For the machine at TUM, the main issue currently is to get the
networking issue that Christian identified sorted out.

I was actually thinking of general Hydra administration.  Occasionally
machines may have troubles, like transient errors (networking, disk
space, random build issues, etc.) requiring manual intervention, or
occasional Hydra upgrades.

There’s also the problem that our current setup is fairly hackish.
Having scripts to automate some of the tasks would be an improvement.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-04 12:06     ` Sree Harsha Totakura
From: Sree Harsha Totakura @ 2014-03-04 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Development

On 03/04/2014 12:12 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> For the machine at TUM, the main issue currently is to get the
> networking issue that Christian identified sorted out.

AFAIK, Christian has written to the network operations dept. here.  I
will check with them later.

> I was actually thinking of general Hydra administration.
> Occasionally machines may have troubles, like transient errors
> (networking, disk space, random build issues, etc.) requiring manual
> intervention, or occasional Hydra upgrades.

OK, I can do these.

> There’s also the problem that our current setup is fairly hackish.
> Having scripts to automate some of the tasks would be an
> improvement.
We can try setting up some kinda monitoring on the buildslaves which can
then send emails when problems arise.  WDYT?

Sree

* Re: New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-04 12:11     ` Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2014-03-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Development

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Sree Harsha Totakura <sreeharsha@totakura.in> skribis:
>
>> On 03/03/2014 11:31 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> BTW, it would be great if someone would volunteer to help with
>>> administration of Hydra and the build machines.  So if someone is
>>> interested, please let me know.
>>
>> Since I am here at TUM, I can help with volunteering the server here.
>> How can I help?
>
> […]
>
> I was actually thinking of general Hydra administration.  Occasionally
> machines may have troubles, like transient errors (networking, disk
> space, random build issues, etc.) requiring manual intervention, or
> occasional Hydra upgrades.
>
> There’s also the problem that our current setup is fairly hackish.
> Having scripts to automate some of the tasks would be an improvement.

I'd be pretty interested in getting involved in the system admin.

I have experience with scripting and general maintenance of debian based
systems, but no specific experience of working with or administrating
hydra. Willing to learn though.

Let me know what you think — would understand if you're looking for
someone with more specific experience.

Best wishes,

Alex

* Re: New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-04 16:47       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sree Harsha Totakura; +Cc: Guix Development

Sree Harsha Totakura <sreeharsha@totakura.in> skribis:

> On 03/04/2014 12:12 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> I was actually thinking of general Hydra administration.
>> Occasionally machines may have troubles, like transient errors
>> (networking, disk space, random build issues, etc.) requiring manual
>> intervention, or occasional Hydra upgrades.
>
> OK, I can do these.

Excellent!  We can discuss the details off-line, possibly with Andreas
and Nikita, who have already suffe^W had the opportunity to help.  :-)

>> There’s also the problem that our current setup is fairly hackish.
>> Having scripts to automate some of the tasks would be an
>> improvement.
> We can try setting up some kinda monitoring on the buildslaves which can
> then send emails when problems arise.  WDYT?

Yes, that would be great.

Also, I hope these can be the first machines to run the full GNU.  For
that, we’ll need service definitions for a few more things, notably
Hydra, for the front-end.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: New Hydra build slaves
@ 2014-03-04 16:50       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-04 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Sassmannshausen; +Cc: Guix Development

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
>> Sree Harsha Totakura <sreeharsha@totakura.in> skribis:

>>> Since I am here at TUM, I can help with volunteering the server here.
>>> How can I help?
>>
>> […]
>>
>> I was actually thinking of general Hydra administration.  Occasionally
>> machines may have troubles, like transient errors (networking, disk
>> space, random build issues, etc.) requiring manual intervention, or
>> occasional Hydra upgrades.
>>
>> There’s also the problem that our current setup is fairly hackish.
>> Having scripts to automate some of the tasks would be an improvement.
>
> I'd be pretty interested in getting involved in the system admin.
>
> I have experience with scripting and general maintenance of debian based
> systems, but no specific experience of working with or administrating
> hydra. Willing to learn though.

Great, sounds like a plan!  That’s definitely enough knowledge to get
started.  I will share the basic info about Hydra.

We should discuss the details off-line and probably set up a (private?)
mailing list to coordinate efforts.

Thank you,
Ludo’.